Pickup truck disappointment

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by IveofIone, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

Old trucks are fine, but who has the time to dick around dealing with mechanics or attempting major repairs/renovations? I've had plenty of old vehicles in my day. Breaking down in the woods or along the interstate is a highly over-rated experience, no matter how much money you supposedly save by driving some pile o'shit that you're always 'gonna fix'. Hell, I've even wasted my own precious time trying to help a few stranded sportsmen get some heap going that shoudn't a been driven to the grocery store, let alone to the middle a nowhere.

I got fish to catch, not tow trucks to wait for. Do everyone a favor...fork over the cash for a dependable vehicle...or stay outta the woods.

Lugan likes this.
  2. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Actually, I'm doing preventative rebuilds. Just slowly going through pieces I know will falter here shortly. I won't lie, body is not perfect. It was up until my daughter started showing horses in 4H. Rude asses hit my truck in more places and NEVER left notes. So have quite a few dings, big dent in bumper, etc. But running carriage, engine, etc are all great. Just going through and taking care of some things that I know are about do (like some front end pieces, redid U Joints, etc). Eventually will add Air Bags (I've always wanted them) and a few other things to mine I've always wanted. I think by time I'm done will have about $3,000 in work done to my truck and will be mechanically sound. Not bad since I paid $21k for it back in 95'. I don't count the money I put into (like new tires, tune ups, oil changes, etc) that have to be done periodically. But since 95', outside of the periodic work, I've put about $500 in repairs. Which isn't bad. But want to replace that bumper, fix the big dent behind passenger door (looks like someone's horse trailer hit it), and a few other cosmetic things.

3. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    I still rue the day when my '72 Datsun 620 (with the 1600 engine) succumbed to the constant onslaught of entropy. It really looked cool at the beach parking lot. It had a canopy with animal decals on it, and custom fabbed stainless steel bar racks, with truck heater hose over the bars that rolled when you loaded something heavy on 'em. It was a helluva good truck in its heyday. I surfaried and camped in it. Started my lawn care service with it. Scared off dates by showing up in it.

My brother owned it before me, but he drove it back from the dry side one day and it overheated and blew its head gasket. Radiator vanes were a bit rusted out. He told me that if I got it running, that I could have it! I changed the head gasket, installed a rebuilt radiator and new hoses, and tuned it up and drove it home, out to the beach. It was only 20 years old then.
    When it was finally crumbling, I gave it to a friend who tried to keep it going, but ended up getting pulled over drunk in it, and had his licence suspended. Tch tch. Last time I saw it, it was getting overgrown with Himalayan blackberries, and I thought about hacking my way in and taking those really great racks that were on the canopy, but never did. Probably still there, under that jungle of brambles.....:confused:

Now I'm reduced to an "04 Forester with roof racks and a trailer hitch, and find myself owning 3 different trailers! (utility, canoe, and EZ-loader for my 16'er).

4. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

While I kinda agree with your opinion, some old "piles of shit" are kinda fun. Here's mine (Disclaimer: not my "drive-to-fish" vehicle!) 20100415_0002.JPG

5. Porter

Porter Active Member

Watch-u talkin about willis?

6. Dipnet

?

Sorry bud, didn't understand your post.

I enjoy my old Camaro just like I enjoy fishing! I'm an old retired fart and entitled to my hobbies! :D

7. Porter

Porter Active Member

Nice car. I meant was yours? or is yours? What engine ....? twin 600-cfm Holleys on a cross-ram manifold?

8. Dipnet

I like stories like this. Nothing like those "old rides!" :cool:

BTW Jim, if I were you I'd go spelunking for this rig!!

9. Dipnet

Oh, OK. Misread your intent. Sorry! Mea culpa!

Yes, it's still in my garage. Owned it since 1974.

Cross-ram? I wish!!!:)

It's all-original outside of headers and 2 1/2 inch pipes w/Flow Masters and some engine chrome (well...and new paint!). The original DZ302 which has never been touched mechanically (73K on it!). No cross-ram but the original Winters hi-rise manifold with the Holley 3310. When I drive this car all my past teen-aged testosterone starts to flow again and I think all those hard-bodied teen and twenty-year-old girls are ogling this 61-year-old guy!!!

Yeah, right! :D

Chris Johnson likes this.
  10. bigdood

bigdood fishing hack

Home Page:
    I've had similar mental rants like the original post. Pisses me off Ford won't bring the global Ranger to the US

11. Van

Van New Member

I will stick my neck out here and say i love my full size trucks. Ive owned 3/4 and 1 ton diesel trucks and they rock for hauling the rv and family around and all the crap that goes along with that. Added bonus with such a set up is that i get to visit a lot of very fishy places and stay a few days. Granted, it sucks as a daily driver and is killing my wallet. They have their purpose though.

That being said, i need a smallish daily driver and econo rig i can run a couple hours each way to the rivers and back and not take out a loan to do it.

12. SteveA

SteveA Gnu to the board

+1...This was my solution and works great for me.

13. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

I got a 2013 Outback 4-banger and couldn't be happier for reasons Plecoptera stated, plus I pay less $ to regimes that hate us, pay less $ to the oil industry that I hate, pump less CO2 into the atmosphere, it's reliable as they get, and I don't care that I look like a lesbian. In a way, I am one.

triploidjunkie and Plecoptera like this.
  14. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

The Hilux would be sweet. How easy to go to Europe and import one? From what I gather...more or less impossible (or not cost effective). My 2008 6.0 GMC crew cab (3/4, with air bag suspension, 12,000 bumper hitch and goose hitch) was traded in this summer for a slightly used Outback (2011). Wife is sure the outback is the best car ever. I love it too. We bought the P/U because we were living on a farm an hauling tractors, hay, etc. As a daily driver...well it makes no sense unless you just feel like you have too much money laying around :) Since we moved back to town, the P/U made little sense.

15. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Active Member

You'd see a lot of 'em here if it were even halfway affordable. I looked into it when I lived over there and didn't get very far. I finally gave up and went the suvie route. Small diesel pu over here would probably destroy the market by grabbing half the male population.

If I had to own a pu today I'd just find a used ranger. Not that far gone and lots of them out there.