Pictures of gear caught fish?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Clint F, Mar 2, 2009.

1. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

You guys really think that is strange???? Did you really think about it???

You guys need to take a logic or philosophy class because it is just like this:

1. All lollipops are candies, but not all candies are lollipops

2. All girls are people, but not all people are girls.

Than you can define things further like this:

1. For a dog to be a puppy it has to be a very young dog.

2. For a candy to be a lollipop, it must be on a stick.

So for a steelhead to be a fly caught steelhead, it has to be caught with fly gear while fly fishing.

Gear fishing is an all encompassing approach to fishing where you can do whatever you want whenever you want, so a gear fishing site includes all disciplines of fishing including fly fishing. Case in point, I never see gear guys debate what we are debating because it doesn't matter to them.

Fly fishing is a self imposed set of restrictions thus it only includes a specific set of criteria, thus we are on a fly fishing site, discussing this stuff tirelessly. So you see, these restrictions and gear choices are exactly what make fly fishing what it is, otherwise, you are simply fishing an ineffective way for no reason, like casting a jig float on a fly rod instead of a centerpin. What we are saying is that there are a specific set of criteria that make fly fishing what it is, this does not include jig/float, centerpin et cetera. It sounds idiotic, I know, but that is fly fishing.

Like I say, if you really think fly fishing isn't its own thing, don't fish fly fishing only waters, that is like practicing Judaism in a Cathedral.

2. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

It's funny how what is conversation for some, like me, is arguing and a whiny bitch session for others. It cracks me up that people who are bothered by this thread will bother to take the time to post in it. That is behavior that is as inconsistent as posting a gear caught steelhead on a fly fishing forum.

Despite this thread's length, I'm enjoying it for what I'm learning about some people. I'm impressed that Jason's maturity about steelhead fly fishing greatly exceeds that found among his usual posts. He gets it. And then Coach's style is, well it's Coach's style. Nothing new there, but he really gets it too. But I already knew that.

As for what is fly fishing, I thought everyone knew. Fly fishing is defined by using rods made of split bamboo, reels made in England, silk lines, gut leaders, and flies tied only with natural materials. Anything else and you're just a bait chucker. Unfortunately, I don't know any fly fishermen.

Sg

3. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

I can think of a least two fly fishermen off the top of my head. I've had the great pleasure of meeting one of them. And the winners are; A.K.Best & John Gierach.

4. HauntedByWaters

Ironic isn't it?

God damn. I never realized people on here thought I was such an idiot. Half my posts are simply heckles are jokes. Another good example of why the internet is a terrible place to meet people.

I hate that gut leader, when I peg beads to it they always slip down to the hook. ;)

5. chrome/22

chrome/22 For him there whould always be the riddle of steel

Sg, I respect your right to fish the way you want, but....one last shot & I'm done. Why gear obviously....?? The guy is all Simms-ed up its a C&R net, plus no gear in the pic or bait/hook in the yapper.

The water behind? Looks like a fly guy could run a strike indacator & fly thru that bucket to me, & what if that toad took him a 1/4 mile downstream away from the step & swing water ??

I'm just saying NO WAY to tell what method used in that pic.

c/22

6. Brett Angel

Brett Angel Member

Defining what fly fishing is for an entire group based on personal opinion is like giving yourself a nickname... it's LAME and it's not what other people would probably call you.

That said, so is being a poser!!

Jason, does that mean candied apples are lollipops?j/k

7. HauntedByWaters

You can look up the fly fishing only regs in the WDFW pamphlet.

Are you calling me a poser?

I dunno.

You are taking this way too personal dude.

8. Brett Angel

Brett Angel Member

I have my own nickname and I don't know you Jason so I don't know if you like to pose or not. Do you post pictures of fish in this forum you caught with "gear"?

LOL...personal? This thread is 10+ pages long and you're not the only one posting so don't take it so personal.

9. HauntedByWaters

Just was confused at what you were getting at with yout post since it appeared directed at me. Not upset. :thumb:

10. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

it's ALL gear fishing.. just different types

11. longstick

longstick Member

fish on

12. Trent

Trent Ugly member

Wow!!!!!!, that is (wow) what I have to say, sorta. I got to about the 3rd or 4th page and realized it was just the same thing over and over, skimmed over the rest and assumed I was right. I would have to say that, again, I agree with Mumbles on this one "knickers in a twist":rofl::rofl::rofl: And Roe Milt's think about taking a "poop", that was good advice that was not heeded :rofl::rofl::rofl: Fishing is fishing. I fly fish because I enjoy it more than using gear, not because of some superficial enlightenment. On a sunny late summer day when the Humpies are running, I have absolutely no issue with grabbing a lawn chair sitting back and swapping the shit with some one while plunking with sand shrimp and a bell on the rod. Some of the folks on this site are way too uptight, fishing is fishing, just relax. If you don't like the occasional gear caught fish in a picture then don't look at it.

13. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

AIA,

A few might be uptight. I think most are having fun and are very relaxed with this. And others are astonished that the topic could carry on this long. I'm not. I know many hard core fly fishermen, and a topic like this is equivalent to talking about religion. Fishing is fishing to you, but you can't say what it is to others. For the hard core, it's all about the soul, but not saving it, since that's a long lost cause.

Careful about your sand shrimp, cuz if you get the scent of them on your flies, you'll be bait fishing next time you go fly fishing, and your soul will burn in hell, etc., etc. . . .

Sg

14. Jake Bannon

Jake Bannon nymphs for steelhead....

I agree, this is exactly like preaching a religion which is why this thread is kind of pointless in my view now. I am still with my view as many of you guys know that it is, but I kind of regret expressing it the way that I did. For now I shall just kick back and watch this puppy keep on growing. ;)

Jake

15. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    All I can say is I'm totally relaxed on here when I'm posting. If someone reads my post and thinks I'm pissed off saying it, they're wrong. If I am pissed, you'll see fuck this, kiss my ass that, and go fuck yourself quite a few times in it. ;)

BUt there is alot of good bullshit being spread on here. I do need some good fertilizer for my fields. ;)

But fishing is what YOU make of it. Every form of flyfishing isn't what "flyfishing" was say 10 years ago. I'm just really tired of "labels". If I really was in the mood I could really lay a good rant, but it's not really worth my time. So, if you only fish drylines, with unweighted flies, on standard fly gear, then you can preach all you want (that's for steelhead, hell I'll even say for trout too).