Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Planning a family? Remember the hatch.

1K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  Scott Whited 
#1 ·
Just a note to the younger family guys out there. When the decision is being made to add to your clan, given that it was in fact a discussed decision made before hand, keep in mind the delivery date of your new child so that it doesn't conflict with your fishing. Our third is due during the tentative prime of the Western MT skwala hatch which my father and I have made a point of hitting off and on for years. What was I thinking?!

Yes, I'm kidding. Oh but am I?

That'll depend on this springs trip, which if you haven't figured out I'm missing, and the report my father and his buddy who is filling my slot (the bastard), provide when they return. Worst case they'll call me from MT, likely after a day on the river with non-stop action (says they), likely after 3 micro's from the Bitterroot Brewery and a few stiffies poured at my Uncles house, a likely loud, exuberant and slurred report taunting me like a missed epic high school party that your buddies called you from.

The Western Montana skwala hatch I wouldn't personally rank as exceptional except in spurts. It is, though, the seasonal breakfast for these fish and gets them looking up. On occasion when the weather breaks, the temperatures raise and the wind blows a bit, it can be a terrific top water bug feast which makes a lot of anglers day. It has mine. I think what I enjoy most is the varied weather conditions and it's obvious effect on the fish in amazingly quick transitions. Top water to nymphing and back in under an hour.

I'll miss that this spring, depending on the report. I'm excited that our third bundle of joy is soon to arrive, and she'll be grateful to Mom for not allowing that '04 spring MT trip report to influence her chosen name. LOL

See less See more
#5 ·
Right on Chris! There's always next year for the fish...

3rd kid, eh? Your kids are spread out a little more than my "irish tripplets", but even so, 3 kids is much more difficult than 2. Heck, considering kids need booster seats until practically High School, fitting 3 car seats \ booster seats into the average car\truck\SUV isn't easy. That's why they invented the mini-van :bawling

Congrats and good luck!

PS - let me know if you want the number of very good urologist :eek

#6 ·
>PS - let me know if you want the number of very good
>urologist :eek

Shooting blanks is indeed the ultimate solution :-D

#8 ·
Tubal ligation is the way to go here. Usually a woman knows that under no circumstances does she want another child and so tubal ligation makes sense.
But the male is different. In case of the untimely dealth of his wife, he may remarry to another female who does want children and so he should remain unpluggled.
Just a little unsolicited advice. No charge.
Bob, the Yea,I'm Still Unplugged:smokin

#9 ·
LOL. I'm afraid I know way more men who are ready to say - "we are done" than women. Women will carry a baby for 9 months of sickness, pain, bed-rest, etc and then go through crazy pain to deliver a baby - all the while swearing she will NEVER do this again. As soon as she's holding that baby in her arms, she is planning on the next one.....
Men on the other hand tend to know when enough is enough. Most men are just too wimpy to handle the 5min procedure and quick 'recovery' to take care of business. They'd much rather prefer the wife to once again put HER body under the knife in a much more involved surgery and recovery instead. As if she hasn't been through enough already...
Now if on the agreed 'last child', the child must be delivered via 'C Section', then it makes more sense to take care of business at that time. Otherwise - come on fellas - step up and be a man...

#14 ·
Chris, I soooo understand. My third is due on July 1. My annual trip to Montana with the guys is always the end of June (Salmonfly hatch on Rock Creek). My wife said I shouldn't go (baby could come early); I said I should (I'll be a better husband and father if I get my time on the Crik with the fellas). There began the negotiation -- with my wife AND half a dozen fishing buddies. I am happy to report that we settled out of court. I persuaded the guys that the fishing will be better the first week of June (Oh Lord, please let the hatch start early this year!) and my wife that the baby wouldn't possibly come four weeks early (Oh Lord, please don't make me eat those words!).

In the meantime, our ultrasound appointment is at 2:30 TODAY. That's right -- in 35 minutes I'll find out if we're bringing to hand a buck or a hen. I have two handsome boys already, so THINK PINK everybody!:) Gotta go.

#15 ·
Good luck ! I have two little girls 8 & 9 decided to have them right away and get it over with. one in September and in Jan. Little Girls are totaly cool. and yes they will control the Daddy for the rest of your life. You just can't say no cause there so darn cute !:7 :7
Steve

#16 ·
Good luck dude. Just a few words of encouragement...

We were in your shoes (2 boys) and went in to see if we were going to have a 3rd - or maybe a girl. They told us the baby was a girl. Well, it turned out to be a boy in fact... Oh, and he decided to come 4 weeks early :thumb

You'll be happy with whatever you are given (after your wife's tears dry a little if you do end up with boy number 3...).

#17 ·
:beer2

Drum roll please . . .

It's gonna be a GIRL! :thumb At least that's what the ultrasound technician says. And I was pretty excited about it until I read your post CHAD! I hope you have a sick sense of humor and you're just trying to scare me.

The technician said she's 95% sure its a girl and that she's only been wrong once in 12 years. Was that you?

I could probably handle a third boy, but the 4 weeks early part of your tale has me nervous as I'm not sure I could handle sitting out the Rock Creek trip. There's only so much you can ask of a man.

:beer2

#19 ·
Sounds like some are quick to offer you a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Did you attend one of your wife's prenatal visits and discuss this important matter with her Ob-Gyn before cancelling the trip? Double check due dates? Ask about early induction? At least you could get a pregnancy wheel and write in the hatches on the wheel so that this never happens again.

#20 ·
congratulations Chris!! i just had my first 4 months ago, and although the fishing time is definatly suffering it's worth it. i'm trying to figure out how i'm going to get out this summer as i have my daughter all day while my wifes at work. she eats every hour and a half to two hours and i'm not sure how i'll warm her bottles up on stream. i've always tried to minimize when i fish so having my daughter on my back, a campstove for warming bottles, small cooler with milk, diapers, bag for dirty diapers, along with my normal gear kinda freaks me out a little. i may just have to feed her in the truck after i'm all rigged up which will give me two hours of fishing. i'm used to fishing very long days but i guess this will be better than no fishing.

scott

#21 ·
Congrats Scott. Get a Kelty baby backpack and fish some easily waded waters. Sometimes it's an effort in futility depending on how they are feeling (cutting teeth) but by this summer her feeding schedule will spread out a bit. Carry enough hot water in a thermos to warm 2 or 3 bottles and you're good to go. There are pockets in those packs enough to carry the rest of the babies stuff as well. Go light enough on your fly gear to keep it all in a butt pack and you're good to go. Ha!

And just think. Four more years and she'll be catching them on her own.

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/images/taryn4.jpg

#22 ·
Chris,

Congratulations, congratulations, congratulations. Bless your wifes heart and yours too. I'm glad to see fly fishermen and women sponsoring these tremendous souls of light.

Girls are indeed wonderful to raise. My oldest is a freshman at Eastern, the youngest girl still in middle school. The boy in the middle, my new fishing buddy of the last several years, is a sophomore. He got into it late. Maybe I should have pushed him a little sooner, but I try to let them discover things as the time is right. Not always sure that is correct but they are great kids.

The skwala hatch on the Bitterroot. Nothing better on this planet in late March and early April. Only did it once but will be back as it is a unique experience.

Enjoy that baby, fishing is indeed a distant second to being with her when she is born.

Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.