Proposed New Law on Hydraulic Mining in Washington

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by smelt047, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

If we have to buy a license to fish and hunt, why is it that miners pay no fee? Since WDFW regulates miners and gold panners, I believe that they should have to buy a recreational mining license every year with a fee structure like fishing and hunting licenses. For example:

Gold panning: $X.00 for a single pan license

Suction Dredging: $Y.00 for an x" hose or $Z.00 for a w" hose

Etc...

And why can they apply for a free permit to mine out-of-season? I believe that it shouldn't be allowed, at least not without on-site review. If it continues, a fee should be charged that is high enough to cover all the associated costs of reviewing and ruling on the permit.

Lastly, dredgers claim that the redistribution of materials is nothing compared to what Mother Nature does annually, especially in high water events. Mother Nature does this in high water so that the suspended material is diluted and materials are spread far and wide, farther and more naturally than what a suction dredger does in low flows. So to help them strengthen this argument, I propose that all suction dredging be limited to peak flows during run-off to help distribute their tailings as Mother Nature intended! Whimps need not apply, lol.

2. JayB

JayB Active Member

LOL

"Pans ahoy! There's two dollars and fifty-six cents worth of gold in there with your name on it, broham! Don't let the regs hold you back. Freeeeeeeedooooooooooooom!!!!!"

Boulder Drop
    [​IMG]

Sunset Falls

[​IMG]
    Eagle Falls
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

smelt047, Lugan, Kim McDonald and 3 others like this.
  3. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Too funny! Should be on the Colbert Report.

K

4. Kim McDonald

Kim McDonald member

Home Page:
    Sue, you also should mention that the miners are allowed to winch boulders, downed woody debris, and other in-stream objects that are vital for riparian habitat and stream populations. As many of us know, pocket water upstream and downstream of boulders provide fish refugia, wood debris provides all sort of nutrients and shade, etc. We have evidence, thanks to Sue, of holes where boulders used to be, of streams being unnaturally diverted, and whole stream banks being altered. All of this costs money to restore, yet miners don't pay anything into the system.

Kim

smelt047 likes this.
  5. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

This is why we need a sarcasm font! An understandable mis-interpretation.

THANK YOU Kim for driving this.

Greg Armstrong likes this.
  6. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Dan -
    In the last thread on suction dredging on this site, I provided a link to the summary of a report by the American Fisheries Society, Oregon chapter, on the effects of suction dredging on fish and aquatic habitats(http://www.cascwild.org/wp-content/...RAFS-Suction-Dredge-Mining-Impacts-FINAL6.pdf).

You might post it on the Piscatorial pursuits thread (I'm not registered there, and don't want to be).

Dick

7. Kim McDonald

Kim McDonald member

Home Page:
    Also, the Harvey and Lisle research is great, let me know if you want copies of that. Thanks Dick for posting that link, the Oregon Chapter were extremely helpful to the folks trying to change what was happening in that state.

Kim