Reverse Spiders and a Bait Fish Patter for SRC

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by james.jimenez, May 11, 2013.

1. Preston

Preston Active Member

Nah, I think I'll pass.

2. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Jack, Be sure and let us know how yummy it is.....OK?

3. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    James, I tie some Reversed Spiders, and I say you have the technique down, with some great-looking color combos, but maybe not the proportions. (I'm just a hack at tying, so take all this with a grain of salt).
    I like to tie in my Mallard Flank hackles a bit sparser, using hackles with slightly longer fibers than the ones seen in the column on the left in your pic. Long enough so that they reach back to the bend of the hook when the fly is getting stripped.
    Also, I will eventually end up using all the longer-fibered hackles in my bag, and then Ill be tempted to deploy the shorter ones, forcing me to tie them on smaller or shorter hooks, until finally I can get to the hackle dealer for a fresh bag!
    I like the taper you put on the bodies.
    I try to whip mine off right above the hook point, but there's nothing wrong with those shorter bodies.

These are just words of criticism from a tying hack. Also, I ain't no cutthroat, so my opinion is what its worth. You'll have to ask a cutthroat to get the truth.

4. Preston

Preston Active Member

Mike Kinney's rule of thumb on the length of his spider's body was right at or a little short of the hook point. Three turns of hackle gives just about the right degree of sparseness. Guinea hackle is usually considered to be a bit too stiff for the optimum amount of movement; duck flank and Amherst or Golden Pheasant tippet are commonly preferred. Tying the chenille in at the middle of the hook shank, winding forward to just behind the eye of the hook (this reinforces the base of the hackle and helps to force the hackle into a conical form) then reversing and winding back to the tie-off point gives a nice taper.

Jim Wallace and Jeff Dodd like this.
  5. james.jimenez

james.jimenez Active Member

I was running out of good feathers when it came to tying the spiders on the right side of the picture. I try to stretch the little amount of good feathers as far as I could. I will try these out soon, wish me luck.

6. Jamie Wilson

Jamie Wilson Active Member

Letcher
    cool name

7. Preston

Preston Active Member

Letcher was actually his middle name (Benjamin Letcher Lambuth), he was named for John Letcher, governor of Virginia during the Civil War; a distant relation. I suspect he had to put up with some crap about it from time to time. I once ran across someone named D.E. Bauch, who insisted on using the initials of his first and middle names.

8. troutdopemagic

troutdopemagic Active Member

I really like those spiders. I like exceptionally long hackle and skinny bodies on mine and I'd be concerned that the stiffness of the guinea would keep the mallard from properly doing its thing in the water. I've found that if you have access to someone who duck hunts, alot of the mallard flank feathers off wild birds is longer then what you will be able to get from fly tying manufacturers.

9. james.jimenez

james.jimenez Active Member

My chum fry!!

Attached Files:

10. SaltyCutt

SaltyCutt Beach Bum

Now that is a great fly, nice work bro. You're going to fool some big fish with that pattern.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

11. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

Although I knew this book was a bit of a "bible" for PNW SRC fly-fishing and have seen it on the bookshelves, I've only picked it up a few times, perused the first few pages and then set it back down.

My thought was: "I started fishin' cutts back in the early '60s (albeit gear/bait) and I know their behavior and habitats. How much more do I need to know before tossin' flies at them?"

So I didn't purchase this book until today.

What a treasure trove!

I've been sitting here on a rainy Memorial Day, nursing my newly-injured back and wishing I was able to get out fishin' but immensely enjoying all the information in this book.

As someone fairly new to tying flies, all the listed patterns are well worth the price (not to mention the area specific stuff!) :)

12. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

Great to hear that, Dipnet. I probably should have mentioned Doug Rose's books too.
    Take care of that back.
    Jack

13. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

Thanks, Jack.

I'm familiar with the name of Doug Rose and his reputation but don't have any of his books.

My condolences to all who knew him. I'll have to pick up some of his writing!

After several weeks of being pretty much on the injured/reserved list, the back's finally starting to feel better. You might see me out on the Canal next week! :)

14. Jack Devlin

Preston et al,
    The latest presentation of STREAMERS 365 is a "Candlefish" Bucktail tied by Andrew Marshall.
    Nicely done fly albeit a bit too heavily dressed for my tastes.
    Here is the link:
    #42-2013 – Candlefish Bucktail tied by Andrew Marshall | Streamers 365
    Jack

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  15. Jack Devlin