RIO Outbound Short vs. Regular

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Ybsong, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

not true. there is a difference between the coldwater and tropical, but the coldwater and the freshwater outbound shorts are identical.

2. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Got it. I think yours was one of the posts I'd seen

3. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

IMG_0580.JPG

I grabbed these at random. The line on the right and the floater were done with backing, the others with fluoro. The backing is easier to use, as it has less memory. It's simple to tie using a nail knot tool, get one at your local shop and ask them to show how to make the loop. If they don't use that system, go to PSFlyCo. They showed me to use the tool rather than a chunk of tubing. As you can see, I favor a longer loop, as I've found it closes down and lies flatter, but you'll find more guys prefer a small loop.

I also use a loop to loop to attach lines to backing, just make a loop in the backing long enough to fit over your spool, and put a loop at the back end of the line. On a small (trout sized) line one knot is enough, with 4-5 wraps. For big stuff, I'll go to two knots with 6 wraps, glue the space in the middle together with zap a gap, then cover with UV knot material. Obviously, you need a loop in the backing, either a bimini, or go back to your nail knot tool, double line and 2 knots for heavy weight use.

Again, you might want to find someone who does this often to walk you through it.

olyfish likes this.
  4. cook

cook Member

Thanks for this--very helpful, and I'll give it a shot. Another question that I'm sure someone can help with: I'm going to retire my 6wt rio versitip line. The running line is pretty beat up and I can't say I love the way it casts. I'm thinking about going to a full floater (perhaps the rio steelhead/salmon line) then using polyleaders (fishing single handed). Can I use the versitip tips as my sink tips or is the 15' too long or have the wrong profile? Or, could they be cut shorter and rigged with the loops described by Don. Just thinking of ways to save money because the tips are in really good shape--anyone used these in any way beyond their intended use?

5. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Welding loops on the running line, so you want a loop to use to connect to your backing?

Or do you want a loop at the end of the head for connecting your leader. If it is the head, you can use the method Don posted or use braided mono to make your own loops and attach using a nail knot. This uses the chinese finger trap method.
    http://www.danblanton.com/blog/getting-looped/
    SF

Bagman and Jeff Dodd like this.
  6. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

Good information there thank you. I was looking at replacing the loop that my good old fly shop cut off and attached my backing with a Albright knot. I find that I do prefer the Albright over the nail knot. My problem is I keep changing fly lines and a loop just makes it easier. I can weld the other lines that I've tried (except T11 that is) but with outbound I just make a mess.

7. CLO

CLO It's not the fly, you suck.

Debating on the intermediate OB and the intermediate tip OB. Can someone enlighten me on the pros and cons of each?

8. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

Are you talking about the Outbound Short floating/intermediate? If so I have one that I'm not really liking. I do not feel that I'm in good contact with my fly. I feel that with the wind/currents the floating line can get a bow in it and I feel the hit but can't move enough line to get a good hook set, and I try and remove the slivers lip when I strip set.

9. CLO

I'm talking the full length OB line, not the short

10. Justin Waters

Justin Waters Member

The outbound short floating is a super sweet line for streamer fishing in rivers, and most people probably find it easier to cast off the beach if they are not very experienced casters. I prefer the short when fishing big meaty patterns for bullies and browns in rivers. The intermediate tip can be an issue if you are fishing SUPER weedy beaches because the line "probes" a little more than the full length outbound as opposed to tracking in a straight line. George Cook pointed out to me that a good caster can launch the full length outbound farther than a short, and in the hands of a good caster that might make a difference in your selection. I find the full length line more fun to cast than the short, but the short can turn over larger flies easier.

This is probably obvious to most people, but the full intermediate lines tend to hang up more on shallow beaches although probably fish a little better out of a boat/kayak.

11. CLO

Thanks for that info. As far as casting, I like the OB full more than the short. The short seems like it would be better for quick 50 feet casts and the full OB is better for distance.

Can you explain what you mean by probing? I'm interested in the difference between the ob full intermediate and int tip as far as depth and action on the fly.

12. Justin Waters

Justin Waters Member

From my experience the OB full length strips back in in a more straight line than the Short. The short's tip sinks by itself or probes (I made that term up, I am sure there is a more technical term for it) down when allowed to "rest" in between strips, where the full outbound's whole head sinks at the same rate when rested. So the first 1-2' of a strip brings the Short back to a straight line, where the OB Full length is already there. I prefer my flies to present all the action, rather than my line which I just use for depth.

plaegreid and CLO like this.
  13. CLO

Cool so you like the full intermediate because it keeps direct contact to the fly?

14. golfman44

golfman44 4-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year

The running line being intermediate allows it to sink under the chop and is less effected by currents/wind/etc. Always go full intermediate

CLO likes this.
  15. Justin Waters

Justin Waters Member

I like the full outbound with the floating running line. If you use the full intermediate running line I find I hook the beach a ton. The full intermediate helps with chop and wind, but it is hell if you ever forget a stripping basket, or want to pick your nose or something in between strips.