Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Rocky Ford roadtrip - Monday, Jan 20

2K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  dp 
#1 ·
for my birthday I am treating myself to a day of fishing so I am heading to Rocky Ford on Monday, Jan 20. Will arrive by 9:30 and will start in the middle section and work down to the lower bridge, and yes, cross the bridge to work back up to the rocks. There is enough daylight to make that happen. I will probably be in my olive Outback but may take my recently purchased Jag. I'm dying to see what it does on the open road - weather permitting - meaning NO chance of snow or ice - which looks promising right now.
Anyway, if you there, give me a shout.
Olive Bugger - from the scud post: 5 wts are just fine and I use a floating line for drifting scuds under an indicator and for tossing and stripping buggers (successful tactics last two trips). too shallow for sink tips or intermediate lines - IMO.

Go Hawks!!!

#4 ·
Good luck guys! I'm still stuck on a boat, but fly out of Alaska on the 25th. The first thing I'm going to do is get a root canal and then go fishing:) might shoot some Yotes to. I hope to fish with you guys one of these days. I will have the month of February off.

#13 ·
The freezing fog sure made it damp and chilly today. I wore more clothes than last weekend, but it was still hard to stay warm and everything froze up - guides, line and reel. But at least there's no snow and most of the shelf ice is gone so all in all, not bad for January!

#17 ·
Hey.... that was some old guy from the tri-cities that wanted a young guy to tote a flask for him.
I may have a healthy thirst . . . perhaps you should bring a Saint Bernard (I'd hate to precipitate a hernia, lol.).

I can't cast, but I may show-up with a camera (and my pup), weather permitting. After retiring, recovering from wrist surgery is driving me guano. 'Sides that, I'd like to meet a few of you folks, even Zen . . .

#18 ·
for my birthday I am treating myself to a day of fishing so I am heading to Rocky Ford on Monday, Jan 20. Will arrive by 9:30 and will start in the middle section and work down to the lower bridge, and yes, cross the bridge to work back up to the rocks. There is enough daylight to make that happen. I will probably be in my olive Outback but may take my recently purchased Jag. I'm dying to see what it does on the open road - weather permitting - meaning NO chance of snow or ice - which looks promising right now.
Anyway, if you there, give me a shout.
Olive Bugger - from the scud post: 5 wts are just fine and I use a floating line for drifting scuds under an indicator and for tossing and stripping buggers (successful tactics last two trips). too shallow for sink tips or intermediate lines - IMO.

Go Hawks!!!
A brand new Jag on that gravel road? Font Circle Electric blue Symmetry Pattern
Would like to attend but work simply precludes that option. Happy B-day...hope the fishing is good.

#21 ·
Met Dave (dp) and three others from the board at Rocky Ford today. Yes it's true the lower bridge has problems and is gated off. The posts holding up the bridge proper look kind of "old". The far ramp has definite issues. It's missing one post support and one other has slipped away from the ramp. The ramp is supported by two posts out of four and they are on only one half of the ramp. It's a slip waiting to happen.

#24 ·
4 fish for a days work - that's how it goes sometimes. Got mine on buggers and scud under an indicator (after I changed to a smaller one). A guy in the afternoon was doing real good.
who the hell was that?
great day to be out though. Smiled a lot thinking of that Hawk Win!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.