NFR Rural life, new people and dogs

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Trustfunder, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

I love to let my dog run loose, but also understand the need for having him on a leash. All it takes is once for your dog to take a bite out of some passer-by and you're up shit creek and can't row. Be a responsible dog owner and people will leave you alone. It doesn't matter if there's a law against it or not, if people feel uncomfortable because of your roaming dogs, be a good citizen and leash em up! The alternative could be a dead dog because they would be completely justified in smoking "fido" if he showed signs of aggression in or out of your presence.

--Signed, K9 trainer/handler

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  2. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

It's been said that dogs tend to mirror the personalities of their owners. If that's even partly true, then the dog of a person who's suspicious of others, especially those from somewhere else or who look or act different, might be a bit more likely to act aggressively towards strangers.

Even though there may not be a leash law where you live, failure to restrain an aggressive dog might end up introducing you to other, more pertinent laws.

We watched the Super Bowl yesterday with one of my best friends and neighbor who also happens to be a criminal defense attorney. The other week he told me about a client he's defending whose dog ended up seriously biting a person who's sole mistake was to knock on the guy's front door just to ask directions.

The short story: The dog owner is in deep shit for damages and the county attorney is insisting that the dog be destroyed. My friend's legal strategy is to try to settle or cop a plea to a lesser offense.

How much is this gonna cost the dog owner? At least $5K plus medical expenses, possibly more depending on how much negotiation might be required.

K

3. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

I live out in the sticks on 20 acres and can't see another house from here although there are several within 1/2 mile. Seems like a perfect spot to let a dog roam free, right? Not! A few years back a cougar came through the neighborhood and ate every loose dog along our road. After that people wised up to letting their dogs out to run and never having them come back.

Friday I was out walking my dog and we found fresh cougar tracks about 50 yards from the house so the threat is always around. When we walk in the forest I usually carry a shotgun and let her run around to her hearts content but she never gets to do that without supervision.

So even if it is the macho old school way to let your dog run, for the dog's sake don't do it.

Ive

Kyle Smith and smc like this.
  4. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Home Page:
    How many times you put your dogs back in the car so far?

5. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I have two 35 yard dogs. But they are in a fenced up yard. I have made the fence almost dog proof as in that they can't get out. I installed Chicken wire up to about 18" so they can't squeeze through. And yes they will try to bite strangers. SO when a UPS driver shows up, he stands at the gate.

I wouldn't get rid of my dogs for nothing. I love all four of them.

Kyle Smith likes this.
  6. atomic dog

atomic dog Jive Turkey

I have some neighbors who spend a lot of time in their front yard with their small dog, who loves to come out and chase me when I'm out for a run. It's not aggressive, but does tend to get my dogs (who are on leashes) all worked up. They always come running to catch the dog when it happens, but stopping to let them catch it got old pretty quickly so I just keep on running and the dog keeps on following. It's become a game to see how far I can get these people to run down the street along with me before they catch their little floor mop dog. Three blocks is my best so far.

7. Kim McDonald

Kim McDonald member

Home Page:
    I'm a city/country gal who is owned by three labs. One of the reasons I bought property in eastern WA was for my dogs (because they are labs and I live in a city with very strict leash laws and lots of dog catchers...I wanted some place they could be off leash). I have ~ 11 acres and when I go over there, I can open my door and the dogs can romp (they usually stay pretty close to me). I don't let my dogs go out into the county road, which is about 1/4 mile from the house. I am also an avid endurance runner and recently, for the first time in per 30 years of running, I was seriously bit by a dog. Seriously bit.

The "Mercer Island" folks as you describe them have at least two issues with what you're doing. The first is, of course, that your dogs are on a public road off leash. They have no idea if they are friendly or not. It can be scary. The dog that bit me...owner swore up and down it was a friendly dog...

Second, of course, is the danger to both them and the dogs of running beside, behind, or ahead of cars. Years ago a guy ran his gorgeous Golden at 5:30 AM along Shilshole doing the same method you are. And guess what? He ran over and killed his dog one morning, just as I was jogging by. It's an image that has haunted me ever since.

You can do what you want, but think about how others feel.

Kim

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  8. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

I like dogs and have two of my own. What I don't like is other peoples dogs shitting in my front yard,I have all the dog shit I need in my fenced in backyard where my dogs live.

9. PT

PT Physhicist

The problem is yours, not theirs. You know your dogs, they don't. I don't expect others to love my dog/dogs as much as I do.

Lugan and Kent Lufkin like this.
  10. Dan Cuomo

Dan Cuomo Active Member

I have owned many, many dogs. Many different breeds. I've owned and trained setters, pointers, labs and Chessies. Pitbulls and Bull Terriers too. I've lived rurally and in the city. My dogs are always well trained, but I've never let my dogs run in the city, and after my kids went out to wait for their bus and found our beloved lab dead in the ditch after being struck by a car, I've never let my dogs run loose while living anywhere. They have the run of a fenced yard and I make it a point to get them out into the field or at least to the dog park at once a week. For me, it's just too painful to lose one of "the family," in a way that can be avoided.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  11. smc

smc Active Member

Trustfunder;

I used to feel the same as you, long ago when the world was very different and safe for dogs and dinosaurs.

Some people don't like dogs. Others are just afraid. My dog is the sweetest creature God ever created and it is my responsibility to everything I can do to keep her safe and sound. She's happy, and people, even children that are afraid of dogs, are much more willing to approach her when she's on her leash.

You say you understand that people can be terrified of dogs, that you "get it". But you clearly don't. If you did, you would understand the danger to your dog, and you would leash him. Get over it. Your dog will still be happy, and much safer.

airedale and Kent Lufkin like this.
  12. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Just for the record, I am a dog person. I am not generally afraid of dogs, especially retrievers of any kind. I recently put one down but I've had dogs continuously for many years, currently only a beagle. And I know how to befriend dogs but don't usually because it makes some owners nervous. While I was nearly attacked by large dogs some years ago, it's usually the smallish yappy dogs that want to assert themselves most. As you know probably, like people, most large dogs are lovers not fighters. But not all. Ownership comes with responsibility.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  13. Trapper Badovinac

Trapper Badovinac Author, Writer, Photographer

Home Page:
    I too live rurally in Montana. Dogs may well be the #1 subject between neighbors.

On one side you've got people who believe they should be able to let their dogs run free like nature intended them to do. On the other side you've got people who, in one way or another, are put off by free roaming dogs. Many have learned what Montana law says on the subject after Animal Control, Law Enforcement, Lawyers, and the Court system come into the picture.

From MONTANA CODE ANNOTATED. TITLE 07. LOCAL GOVERNMENT. CHAPTER 23. DOMESTIC ANIMAL CONTROL AND PROTECTION; TITLE 27. CIVIL LIABILITY, REMEDIES, AND LIMITATIONS.CHAPTER 1. AVAILABILITY OF REMEDIES – LIABILITY. PART 7. LIABILITY; TITLE 81. LIVESTOCK. CHAPTER 7. PREDATORY ANIMAL CONTROL. PART 4. DOGS.

I've been out riding horses when off leash dogs have come out running full tilt at my horse. The horse spooked and I ended up being thrown. I was well within my rights to shoot the dog. I didn't, but I could have. The dog owner apologized, offered to take me to the ER or pay any medical bills. I declined but told him he and I should teach the dog that chasing livestock equals pain. He bought a shock collar, had me ride by his house and shocked the dog hard every time he tried to chase me. It didn't take long before the dog didn't want any part of me or any horse.

One neighbor shot three of another neighbor's dogs when they chased his sheep into a fenced pasture corner.

This Montana law is for both rural and urban areas.

You may want to read the entire code.

Trapper

Irafly and triploidjunkie like this.
  14. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

Hey, in your novel the other Trapper shot the damned dog!!! ;)

triploidjunkie likes this.
  15. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

Similar laws exists in rural England.