NFR Rural life, new people and dogs

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Trustfunder, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Trapper Badovinac

Trapper Badovinac Author, Writer, Photographer

Home Page:
    True enough! :)

Writing is a great outlet for all sorts of things. In real life I was really in a lot of pain, pissed off, and frustrated. While writing fiction I'm often able to take events from my life and weave them into the story with a different outcome. I've been told it makes the story come to life. I hope that's true.

Trapper

2. Travis Bille

Travis Bille Active Member

He probably has some riverfront property that the public had better stay the hell off too.

3. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

What PT says is 101% true. People who don't know your dog will nearly always assume your dog is a threat. That's not just human nature, it's smart. So you're best bet for avoiding conflict is to keep your dogs under control. Lots of other good reasons for that in this thread too.

4. bakerite

bakerite Active Member

I live in the country and have never leashed my dogs. Gus is a good sized lab and with a good appetite. He makes the local rounds daily and picks up a spare meal here and there from some friendly neighbors. He is a social creature and seems to like everyone he meets (unless they are riding a motorcycle). His dog buds come by a couple of times a week, sometimes when we aren't home. I can tell because Gus always goes to the field to do his business, so if there is crap in the yard its from his pals....I pick up after them and it is fine. As to the people who come out to where you live to recreate they should learn the old saying that starts: "When in Rome"

Bob Rankin likes this.
  5. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

There are no mean dogs in Montana... what the hell have they got to be angry about, they live in Montana for hell-sake? :) The whole dadgum country seems to becoming more and more like nannyville, everyone in everybody's business.

Bob Rankin likes this.
  6. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

I'm enjoying your book.

At least for me, it started out kinda slow and I wasn't too impressed but now that I'm getting deeper into it I'm enjoying the character development and the intertwined story lines.

I've also enjoyed the descriptive river experiences.

A nice read for this time of year when the wind is blowing, the rain is fallin' and the temps are low and fishermen are hankerin' for better conditions!

Gracias!! :)

7. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

In the sticks...your dogs are likely to be shot. I love dogs, but city people who think rural folk (who also love dogs) are going to put up with deer chasing, chicken killing free ranging dogs .....are gonna find their bubble quickly burst.

8. jersey

jersey livin' the dream

trustfunder, when confronted, you can pull what my father in-law does best; smile broadly and say not a word for an uncomfortable amount of time. Then roll-out.

You are smart enough to know what the "law" says and also smart enough to know how to diffuse the situation. Its tough to argue when there is no response from one party.

Bob Rankin likes this.
  9. Trapper Badovinac

Home Page:
    You're very welcome.

Trapper

10. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

the issue I have isn't the dogs and leash or no leash, but the city attitude these idiots bring with them. It's such a magnificent place to live, they naturally fall in love with it, then call the sheriff when it's hunting season because somebody's shooting in the forest, and the precious little snowflakes don't feel safe any more. Or, they take their dogs-unleashed-onto the ski hill trails in Summer for a run, and the damn things wind up chasing anything that moves. Until they run into a momma bear & her cub. Then the city twits post a big sign on the tree above the NF boundary marker warning of a "dangerous bear". We (I) will pull it down and replace it with a "warning! Stupid Tourists in Forest" sign. Pisses `em off.

Freestone and Bob Rankin like this.
  11. Bob Rankin

Bob Rankin Chasing fur and fish every second I get :)

My dogs are well behaved and there is a time and place for a leash. I would not run my dogs next to my truck but would not pass judgment on those that do. The simple fact is there not my dogs. It is not wise telling a guy out on a dirt road in the country what he should and should not be doing. Just sayin.........

12. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

When I lived and fished in Washington, I used to fish the N/F Stilly. There was a dog that used to bark at me when I fished the Lime quarry hole on the N/F. I one time tried to get the dog to come to me, but he wouldn't have nothing to do with it. So I just put up with his barking. After a while he would just quit and go back home. But I did try to become his friend.

13. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

My dog. How dangerous does he look to you? Most people that meet him for the first time are intimidated by him. Most people don't see a 195 lb. dog very often. There first question usually is "Is he friendly?"

I have had some very moving experiences with this dog. He has a way with children and especially those that have a fear of dogs. Over the years Kuma has helped numerous children move beyond thier fear of dogs and be able to pet and hug him. Sometimes the process took a few minutes. Other times Kuma would have to work with them for a half hour or more. He always seems to know just when to lay down or to sneak a small lick in. A wonderful animal to share life with.

This dog does not have any mean in him. None. Still he is always on a leash when we are out and about.

[​IMG]

14. Trapper Badovinac

Home Page:
    Kerry - Great looking dog! Newfy?

I don't understand some people's phobia of dogs, but I've seen people act like the dog is some sort of cross between a rabid Wolverine and that slime dripping creature in the film Alien.

[​IMG]

But, I've seen people react the same way when a mouse runs across the floor.

We dog owners should acknowledge that phobias, aversions, early childhood traumas, etc exist and are real. People who have a chance meeting with our dogs don't know them or their disposition. We dog owners don't know if that person walking down a rural dirt road wasn't the victim of a vicious dog attack.

Kerry, you and Kuma have my deepest respect!

Trapper

15. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

They need a leash law in this county for children... when I meet them on a forest trail, I'm afraid they'll jump up on me and bite me :D

Kent Lufkin and Bob Rankin like this.