"S" River Report

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jon Brengan, Sep 16, 2013.

1. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast la flama blanca

This secret pattern can be tied on a jig or fly. Tail is one red rubber band doubled over and the tag end of a red twist tie. Body is red twist tie. Red or pink duct tape can be substituted for the twist tie.

Attached Files:

2. Cruik

Cruik Active Member

Humpies are funny. It seems like you can find the perfect spot and just yard 'em in all day, but then 10 yards downstream and nothing, even when you know the fish are there. Next day in the money spot and nothing. Makes you feel like an idiot some days, especially when there's someone else around that's catching so many they're bored. I've been humbled by the noble humpy enough times to not take them for granted as easy. When there's that many in the river and their brains aren't that much different from one another and you make a successful presentation, it's pretty easy to keep getting the same results cast after cast.

Irafly and plaegreid like this.
  3. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

nope, no redd fishing for me. I was just curious because I just never saw colored up pinks in the river take any interest in lures, the only method that consistently produced humpies was flossing. Being that I don't want to fish over redding salmon, I was wondering if that was where someone saw humpies aggressively attacking lures near their redds, which would make sense. And being that they dont need quite the pristine environment that some of the other species do, it may be easy to find redding pinks lower in the river.
    Again I dont really care because I stay out of the river when humpies are in now. When I tried on a fly rod in the green the last run I couldn't make a drift without snagging or flossing one and that was boring.

4. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

surface flies sound like they would be fun, then the only snagging will be in the trees. You talking ska-oppers and whatnot, or more of a waking faction vs popping?

5. Skyler Evans

Skyler Evans Active Member

I went out on friday and i caught 13 pinks on the nisqually and i was able to get out for about an hour today and caught 4. I will post up a fly when i get home from work. this has been the ticket. Lately i have been swinging my fly and allowing it to get into the pool at the end of my swing, let out about 10 feet of line and do the 6 inch pull with a little pause after a few strips, they will usually take it on the first strip after the pause.

6. Checkthisout

Checkthisout Member

Keep it simple. Just tie on a hoochie with some sinking line or a small weight in it and call it good.

Cast slightly downstream then strip back with quick little motions and maybe some minor up and down with the rod so the hoochie will "jig" and get 1 fish per cast until tendonitis kicks in and you wish humpies never existed.

7. ten80

ten80 Active Member

Lol, are you serious? A fly is pretty simple, especially when it works. Besides, hoochies take a fair bit of weight to sink and aren't fun to cast.

Not sure what sopflyfisher is complaining about given that the report is both too specific, not specific enough, and on the wrong forum, according to his first post.

I like to read reports from rivers, this thread has some good info for my next pink river outing.

Checkthisout likes this.
  8. Checkthisout

Checkthisout Member

You don't need them to sink far, maybe 4 feet? Sometimes you just gotta cheat......

9. ten80

ten80 Active Member

Ok, no worries, then. I may have misunderstood the context of your post. Do tell more about your interesting take on coho in rivers as they are starting to show up in "S" rivers and they are also my favorite salmon to fish for.

Checkthisout, I've found that marabout or Finn Racoon can make a similar profile to that of hoochies, but have even better movement and don't weigh as much, especially the racoon, which doesn't pick up water. Add a conehead for sink and tie on an octopus hook. I'm not one to shy away from throwing "gear" on my fly rod, but I think that hoochies aren't the best option.

10. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

and its more fun to tie a fly anyways

11. Checkthisout

Checkthisout Member

Aint no one got time fo dat. Kids and work ya know.....

Fishee likes this.
  12. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

I'll skip the sleep

ten80 likes this.
  13. Jon Brengan

Jon Brengan flyfishing addict

14. Jon Brengan

ok today - at Ben Howard launch on the Sky, I caught 20 on a green/white/blue clouser minnow. This fly seems to work when all others have failed.

PT likes this.
  15. Jon Brengan