Sad post re Kaufmann Streamborn

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Don Barton, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

I recall in an earlier thread that the main cause of the problem at Kman was the unfriendly disbanding of the relationship between Randall and Lance. Randall left the company entirely, but somehow in the spilt this left the business poorly capitalized, which is where the bad economy finished them off.

2. doublespey

doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

I'll join in with the "sad to see them go" chorus. I got a lot of materials, support, and good advice there over the years.

3. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Word. Barring yet another impassioned post by Jacob insisting that Kaufmann's really isn't closing, it sounds like rumors of their demise have finally proved true.

K

4. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

LOL, I bought a lot of stuff from Kaufmann's because of Sparky. He treated myself and some others from Skagit well. Brought rods and reels up for us to play with on a couple of occaisions. Of course he got to fish the Skagit with us and perhaps learn a few good spots for his guiding. Good kid, but I can see where he might rub a few wrong.

To bad Kaufmann's is gone.

5. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

You guys are worse than a bunch of old ladies at a hair salon.

6. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Hey Jesse, got anything to say on topic or do you only insult people?

TMac likes this.
  7. Wilken

Wilken Member

A buddy of mine worked as a store manager for the Kaufmann Bros. for a few years. Basically, they were both primadonna pricks who ended up treating my hardworking friend like a piece of shit. He quit and went to another shop. Too bad about losing another fly shop but I don't give a rats ass about the Kaufmann Bros. When I met Randall, I thought he was a conceded asshole and I'm glad he's out of the biz! Good riddens to them. People like that give flyfishing and flyfishers a bad name!

8. stewart dee

stewart dee Guest

I remember the Bellevue location was OK, when Sparky and there was another fella (drove an old K-5 Blazer) really cool dude & great fisherman. I have picked up a couple rods from those cats. I do recall years later after the replacement crew, things became sour and my feelings had shifted. Never did go back, then the Bellevue store closed some time ago. Something had me thinking......... why a store in downtown Seattle, with crap parking and to many people? I never did go to the downtown location. I wish I did see the Seattle store? Its like the time I drank a beer the day before the Stardust in Vegas closed = kinda sad. Or like this one time in band camp when Jimmy and Golfman found this goat up in Lyman, they......................

9. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

I don`t know how relevant this is , as I`ve never been in a Kauffman`s store , and certainly don`t know anyone who ever worked there .

C&P from elsewhere ...The manager from their Oregon Store has started his own venture "Royal Treatment Fly Fishing". He's opened a nice store in the Portland area and has an online business as well. Joel LaFollette is the owner.

It is sad to see Kaufman's go and I wish someone could have bought the business. Maybe Joels shop will take the good things from Kaufman's and make it better.

10. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Very sorry to hear. I liked Kaufmann's. I wish I would have kept the last catalog I had of theirs. While I haven't frequented many fly shops the past couple of years, when I really needed something, I readily went to Kaufmann's and I know my wife regularly got me Christmas presents from there. They were always super friendly and were helpful in recommending some great flies for my last trip to Florida to fish for Redfish and Speckled Trout.

11. Andrew Lawrence

Andrew Lawrence Active Member

I walked by the Seattle store yesterday. The door was locked and there was a small pile of mail on the floor, a few feet from the door.

12. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I remember when I used to go to the store in the "U" district. Then it closed . It seems that all good thing just come to an end. It's a sad thing when fly shops close. I used to hang out at AATF, and now it is closed. Whats next ??

13. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

Not true duffer! From the webpage:

Welcome to ALL ABOUT THE FLY.

We are an internet fly shop, with call-for-appointment hours for the local crowd. The shop phone number (360-863-1833) has been moved to a cell phone, so you can still reach 'Ron at the shop.'

14. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

I first got into fly fishing in Colorado, where a friend made me a custom fly rod and colluded with my wife to get me the rest of the stuff to take up the sport. Soon after I moved to Seattle in the mid 90's, I went on a pack trip into the Wyoming mountains where the packers lost a duffel containing, among other things, that fly rod.

I was new to Seattle and still relatively new to fly fishing, so I made the circuit to all of the fly shops in the Seattle area to try to find a replacement rod. I had been fishing for a while by then, but it was the first time I had bought a rod. I received the most attention and helpful service from the Bellevue Kaufmanns store and rewarded them with the purchase of a fine Sage rod that I enjoy to this day.

I've always had a soft spot in my heart for Kaufmanns' since then, even though geographic proximity has led me to favor a couple other shops in recent years.

Randall Kaufmann is a giant of a name in western fly fishing. It's sad to see the shop bearing his name and legacy disappear.

D

15. tythetier

tythetier Fish Slayer

To be blunt, if they treat me like shit, why would I give a crap about them?
    Do you care about people that break into your car? Oh, I hope they didnt cut their arm on all this broken glass...

I stop by the shop in Welches maybe twice a year, and just about everytime we are greeted with a handshake and kill some time talking about the Crooked River. Anytime I said the word Crooked or White fish at Kaufmans, I was looked at like a second rate person...