Sage and Simms at Costco?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Philster, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Home Page:
    Now that's funny for sure. Calling someone out for a typo, and there's one in the post. :rofl:

2. South Sound

South Sound Member

The notion that they are not selling rods less than MSRP is ridiculous. Check sierratradingpost.com They have both Sage and Simms marked way down when they have them. Also the concept that a seller cannot sell their product where ever and however they want is a bit too far for me.

3. stewart dee

stewart dee Guest

The Wal*Mart is featuring Sage now! Ice cream is on sale this week.

4. generic

generic Active Member

Uh, maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but this isn't about Simms and Sage selling a product how they want. It's just the opposite actually. Costco did the ol' "end around" on those companies. Neither Sage or Simms wanted to sell at Costco. At least that's how I understand this ordeal.

5. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    Authorized fly shops can sell Sage and Simms at discounted prices too. The difference is when this happens, those products have been or will be discontinued and the authorized dealers can then sell them for less than MSRP. But the sale has to be pre-authorized by the manufacturer. Yeah, it isn't much different than price fixing but it is the rule that everybody lives by. This instance with Costco is different because they were selling goods, supposedly unauthorized mind you, below what every other authorized dealer could sell them.

One thing Simms and Sage could have done was to void the warranty of the products sold at Costco. If that were the case, how many of you would still think it to be such a great deal?

6. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

How would they know were you got it. If they moved to having everyone provide a receipt, it would cause problems for everyone. Do you know where you receipt for a rod you got ten years ago is?

7. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    I don't have a rod handy. But doesn't Sage number their blanks? I know my old Fenwicks did. Wasn't sure if I saw a blank # on the factory made Sages. If they do and had inventory of all rods sent to that forwarder it would be easy. Now Simms on the other hand. No idea how they'd inforce it.

8. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    Jeff,

I do keep my receipts for large ticket items; guns, high end rods and reels, applicances, etc. in a lock box for safekeeping but I acknowledge that not everybody does.

I would think that the serial numbers could be attained from all the items that wound up and were sold at Costco. If so, that would be one easy way to determine point of sale. I don't recall that Simms requires a serial number to be put on the warranty card like rod makers do, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is some number on their waders that could be used.

9. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

Doh! I have egg on my face.

10. Caveman

Caveman Member

Humm. I think the spelling is correct. No worries here.........

You all should stop buying any type of product that is made over seas. Start buying all American made products and you will really see how much mark-up is on everything....

11. Timsan

Timsan Member

yup, they are numbered

12. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

That's what the infamous "warranty card" is all about. You send it in with the serial # and information about the purchase and they keep the record for you. That's why unregistered rods, technically, don't have a warranty. It's rarely been enforced, but that could change if things like this start happening more frequently.

13. Dan Nelson

Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Home Page:
    My apologies for jumping in, but I can understand that there are frequently typographic and grammatical errors in online postings. I include plenty in my own blatherings. :hmmm: But when said errors are pointed out, its not often that the poster refutes the correction. Perhaps you simply read your own post too quickly and didn't see the error, even on the second reading. That being the case, here's where you erred:

The word "your" is a possessive tense of you. So if your statement does not contain spelling errors, as you maintain, then it has multiple grammatical errors.

However, the word "you're" is a contraction of "you are" and is seemingly the word you meant to use. If that is the case, your spelling was indeed incorrect.

14. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

I believe Simms has a serial number on the micro chip imbedded in the crouch of their waders. The chip is part of a long term research project to measure gaseous emissions of fly fishermen. The data is then transmitted to either satellites orbiting over northern tier states and/or the next generation artificial fir and pine trees that are really relay antennas placed up and down most rivers and ridges overlooking lakes. To date the data confirms we're really just a bunch of old farts!

15. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Home Page:
    I saw Yeti coolers at Costco today for 349 - that's cheaper than I get one even on my pro-form. I was there to get passport photos, which by the way are $5 at Costco, versus $15 at the USPS.