NFR Sampling satisfaction with life with the Farmer Wave

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Paul Huffman, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Citori

Citori Piscatorial Engineer

I always wave when I am out in the puckerbrush, never know when I might be needing a ride or help... Most are returned in that situation. The closer I get to "civilization", the fewer positive responses. Back in the neighborhood, it's about 50-50, with older folks (like me) seeming to be more likely to respond. Wifey never waves, says you don't know who's packin' and might be having a bad hair day. <<sigh>>

2. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    I don't wave unless I'm truuly trying to communicate something.

Go Sox,
    cds

3. FlyinFish

FlyinFish Active Member

I was just going to mention Lopez. It's more like an olympic sport out there.

4. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Driven by irrational exuberance.

Home Page:
    Krusty might to be on to something. Out on 206 between Wasco and Condon, I'm driving my old fishing truck. In Ketchum, I was driving my wife's indistinguishable silver SUV.

It's getting worse. My wife has caught me waving at livestock, and waving at on coming traffic at night. She insists I can't count these as non-responses.

Jim Wallace likes this.
  5. Troutrageous

Troutrageous Active Member

I worked a good while down around Dayton, WA. Around there most everyone returned the wave. It was actually funny how obvious it was when a season opened for fish or game because of the arrival of non-wavers. Roads in the country around Dayton were usually relatively quiet, and most cars would acknowledge you. Then on opening weekend for lakes or turkey, suddenly the quiet mountains were full of people who refused to respond to a wave. A slightly different but related thing happened to me while working around Lower Granite Dam. Pretty quiet area where most people waved. Then summer came, and with it hordes of College students wanting to hit the beach/dunes, none of whom would acknowledge you. Makes for an interesting comparison between the "gruff" old farmer, and the supposedly outgoing young students.

6. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

We once had some twit in a brand-new Winebago, paper plates and all, refuse to pull over on 120 out of Yosemite years ago. Musta had 40-50 cars behind him. Wellll.... There's some nasty granite outcrops that limit how far over the fog line you can wander if you're not careful. Sure enough, the bastard got a littttttle too close to one, and ripped the entire right side off his new rig! He pulled over then, alright! We were six or seven cars behind him, and saw the whole thing! Everybody waved-with their middle fingers.

7. The Dude

The Dude Member

Nice thread. I wave. I also drive a Jeep and the Jeep wave is dying, too many folks just think its a car and not a lifestyle.

8. plaegreid

plaegreid Saved by the buoyancy of citrus

I moved from Nebraska to Western WA two years ago. It used to be that I would do the two finger wave all the time, but out here it seems like every time I wave I get the stink-eye, even on gravel roads.

9. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

In the Walla Walla area, I get considerably less response when waving from the Subaru Outback in comparison to when I was driving the (now gone) crew cab pickup. I have an old Dodge Powerwagon I'll gas up and take out next time and see if my results improve. It says "farm truck" all over it :)

10. tythetier

tythetier Fish Slayer

When I was in Wyoming a few years back, I was walking to the creek in town with a fly rod. No joke in three blocks I had 8 guys in pick up trucks wave at me. I would always return the wave and include a smile as well!
    I will have to give this a shot sometime. Only problem is people cant really see in my car since my windows are tinted so much.

11. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Is your windshield tinted also. You usually wave at on coming traffic. Not out your side window. You must be new.:p:p

12. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Open your sun roof and wave from there...

Geez, if your windows are tinted that much, you must be working for the feds :D

13. psycho

psycho Active Member

I have always found that the one finger wave gets responded to.:D

14. jimmydub

jimmydub Active Member

I remember visiting family in South Dakota when I was around 14, and learned of their version of the finger. I thought it was pretty amusing, kinda neat, that people would give that little raise of the index finger to everyone driving by.

I've seen waves and other positive hand gestures in rural WA, but it's been sporadic. If someone waves at me, I try to wave back before we pass. It just seems that all to often people don't get the greeting you're trying to send, so I have initiated the wave less and less. I also don't flip the bird anymore, too many people get shot for that.

15. tythetier

tythetier Fish Slayer

OMJ, Even with out the windshield being tinted, it is hard to see in through the front windshield. Linda was driving my car the other day when I was mowing the yard. I pointed where I wanted her to park, and all I seen was the white of her shirt sleeve move inside the car and she was just pointing back.
    I have all the windows except the front tinted down to 15% (i think that is only letting in 15% of light... not for sure though) on top of dark leather interior, so not much light inside.
    It looks good, but is a pain in the ass to drive around at night.
    I got it done to avoid break ins. They arent going to break in if they cant see anything. Not that I keep anything in my car anymore anyways, but you get the idea.