NFR School for Teachers

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Gary Knowels, May 8, 2014.

1. Jason Chadick

Jason Chadick A Fish, A Fish, A Fishy, Oh...

Good on you Gary!

I just completed my Masters in Teaching last spring at Western, and am just finishing up my first year as a High School English teacher over here in the Yakima Valley. It's a tough row to hoe, but I can honestly say that I've enjoyed 80% of my time in the classroom this year. It feels really good to come home every day feeling exhausted, a good job should be challenging. The hours are rough, the kids can be a pain in the ass, but it really does have its moments. I don't think I'll ever want to do anything else.

That being said, there are a number of changes happening in education right now (as always). In my opinion, most of them are for the better, and you will learn about them in your program. If you ever want to hear how all that stuff (Common Core, TPEP, Smarter Balance, Title 1, etc) is affecting the classroom, from a new teacher's perspective, please feel free to shoot me a pm. I love to talk shop.

On top of that, regardless of how much you constantly have to bust your ass, some of those good stretches of time off come at times of the year favored by one who likes to spend his/her time chasing fish.

Cheers,

Jason

Kent Lufkin and Gary Knowels like this.
  2. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

The Shamrock in Ketchikan!
    Damn, I'd almost forgotten about that place. It had a colorful history, shall we say.
    And speaking of education - I witnessed and learned a lot in that bar when I was a deckhand on a seiner up there for a few seasons back in the '70's. A lot of stuff took place up on that stage.
    The skippers nephew crewed with us and stuck it out for one season - he was a teacher from California trying to make some extra cash during summer break.
    Alex - I thought I'd seen you somewhere before!

Alex MacDonald likes this.
  3. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

I'd be the guy hovering underneath the upside-down trailer hitch on the stripper pole, right next to Bandy, hoping one of them would fall off into our laps...:D

4. Greg Armstrong

... well, did they?

5. Greg Armstrong

if we don't watch ourselves here we might just hyjack this thread.
    Apologies to you, Gary!

6. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Home Page:
    Gary if you do any early childhood Ed my wife's school has a great residency, the pay is crap but the experience is great, they work on a novel curriculum every year, it is a one-year program. I have often thought how much fun we would have had I chosen teaching, that summers off thing is just so fantastic.

Hmm...you got my ear Brian...what specialty are we talking here- Radiation Oncology, Derm, Anesthesia, Ophtho, Radiology? Most guys I know are nowhere near that unless they are doing a butt-load of procedures and skimming only the well insured. No medicare, no medicaid. Forgettabout that sort of cash in primary care...

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  7. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

I see you have spent some time in the same institutions of higher educations as I have, social studies were always my favorite course of study in my youth.

Alex MacDonald likes this.
  8. Brian White

Brian White Recovering Bugmeister

Further from MT than I'd like (B-vue, WA)
    Example i gave is an ER doc who is compensated on fee-for-service basis at really posh hospital on the coast in Southern California (where EVERYONE is probably well insured). I don't want to get too much more specific than that. I know he does have to pay his own malpractice insurance, which i'm guessing takes a big hunk out of his payday :).

I have two other ER doc friends who are at other hospitals in the same county, are not in "fee for service" and they don't make nearly that much. Having said that, I'm guessing they are still comfortably north of 200K so i don't worry they will be calling me asking for beer money any time soon.....

My cousin is an anesthesiologist, also in coastal SoCal. He seems to do quite well and has a good work-life balance too.

wadin' boot likes this.
  9. weirdwindknot

weirdwindknot New Member

Nice. Congrats. Just got my MIT from UW Seattle. Good luck in your studies, and remember to take care of your mental well-bing by going fly-fishing. Go DAWGS!

10. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

Nice job weird. I considered the UW Seattle program, but I thought the Bothell program suited my interests and situation better. Both are really good programs. Where did you do your student teaching?

11. golfman44

golfman44 4-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year

My girlfriend just finished her MIT at Seattle u last yr. Small world

12. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

Nice, I have a friend that was in her cohort!

13. golfman44

golfman44 4-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year

Awesome! She was choosing between uw Seattle and Seattle u, I think the deciding factor was the spring start option at Seattle u so she finished her masters early. Everyone in her class got a job (besides the one click who was kicked out of the program), which is a great sign for you.