SF Snoq - What made this print?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Darkhelmets, Jun 19, 2013.

1. GATOR9

GATOR9 Hey you guys

Bigfoot no doubt.

Nathan B, Derek Young and Jason Rolfe like this.
  2. Greg Price

Greg Price Love da little fishies

I have seen tracks very similar to this upstream of exit 45 many times Never had a problem with a cougar, but it puts me on alert. I always have a dog with me, and I am sure she will alert me to a cat and be a decoy. She is very alert and always finds ducks, deer, ect Dogs are way more entertaining than guns and they actually thrive on getting wet. No worries about dropping them in the river.

3. Darkhelmets

Darkhelmets New Member

Dogs are great to have when out and about. I lost my furry fishing buddy to cancer 4 months ago. I did feel a lot more at ease with his nose sniffing around. Looks like I need to get a new puppy.

4. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

I feel the same way and regularly take my own dog friend. But Kertson made some sobering observations about cougars that are causing me to think twice about doing so.

A 160 to 200 pound adult tom cougar can do a standing broad jump of 45 feet and a vertical leap of over 20 feet. Regular items on their dinner menu are adult elk and juvenile moose - animals many times larger. Single cougars have been known to take on and overwhelm even small packs of wolves. Their most preferred dinner choice in western Washington though are slow-moving and dim-witted beavers (which can get up to 70 pounds) whose heads the cougars crush in a single bite. They eat the entire animal, leaving behind only a set of large front teeth.

I'm afraid that even my 85 pound dog wouldn't put up much of a fight against a hungry cougar. Being an apex predator, the cougar would be quite expert at staying downwind from even the largest dog until he could quickly close and kill.

K

5. Darkhelmets

Darkhelmets New Member

So what your saying is...Your best bet is to leave the cougar bait at home and pack more liquid courage? ;)

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  6. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

And my .357 so I could shoot myself in the leg with it trying to get it out of its holster in a hurry!

K

7. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

They attack from behind and sink their teeth deep across the back of the neck. If you survive that, your only hope is a knife....... or, better yet Richard Olmstead's calm persuasive reasoning. ;)

"24 January. Hiking on Brown Creek Trail in Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park sometime before 3:00 p.m. Wednesday afternoon in Humbolt County about 40 miles north of Arcata, California, 70-year-old Jim Hamm was attacked by a two- to three-year-old, 68 pound, female cougar as it crept up from behind. The lion pounced on him near the end of a 10-mile hike. Jim was trailing his wife when the big cat attacked. He heard a strange crunch behind him. When he turned to look over his shoulder, he saw a mountain lion right behind him. The cat pounced from a run. Jim dropped his shoulder and twisted, and the cat shot past him. But in a flash, the cat charged again and jumped toward Jim Hamm's raised arm, knocking him down and pinning him face down on the trail. "

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  8. fly-by

fly-by Active Member

Brian's presentation was fascinating and I came away from it less concerned about a potential encounter than before. Strange coincidence: One of his slides was an aerial photo with a scattergram of dozens of feeding sights (he can tell when the cougar hovers around one spot for >24hrs rather than roaming). It was of a creek basin where I had fished on Tuesday evening...

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  9. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

10. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

This is the best mountain lion attack page I've found;

http://www.angelfire.com/co/KlueLass/lions/attacks2.htm

. The youth was attacked by a mountain lion and drug 200 yards uphill before being killed. The 130 pound boy clutched at vegetation and uprooted brush as the lion drug him to the killing ground. Though just a few hundred yards from high school, any of Scott's screams for help went unheard. The lion was found three days later still feeding on the boy

11. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Here's another FUN FACT I just read from http://wdfw.wa.gov/living/cougars.html

Cougar attacks on humans are extremely rare. In North America, roughly 25 fatalities and 95 nonfatal attacks have been reported during the past 100 years. However, more cougar attacks have been reported in the western United States and Canada over the past 20 years than in the previous 80. In Washington, of the one fatal and fifteen nonfatal attacks reported here in the past 100 years, seven attacks occurred during the 1990s.

[​IMG]

Steffan Brown likes this.
  12. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

No way that is a cougar...notice the distinct lack of the spike heel impression!

Porter and Derek Young like this.
  13. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Home Page:
    More Squatch than anything, really. Did you make any calls or knocks?

Itchy Dog likes this.
  14. Greg Price

Greg Price Love da little fishies

Very sorry to hear of your loss. I lost my best dog (Brown Lab and Belgium Sheppard mix) of all times 4 years ago to cancer. He loved fishing with me. I now have 3 dogs, but all 3 of them do not equal the big boy we had to put down.

Here's to hoping you get a new dog soon. Life without a dog can be dull.

15. DanielOcean

DanielOcean Steelhead Virgin

He can use whatever excuse he wishes. It is his money and his god given American right.