Should I wear waders to a wedding ?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by flyfool, Jul 11, 2013.

1. flyfool

flyfool Active Member

Torn between spending $70.00 on a wedding/fishing shirt or a sweet slick new magic floating line that will cast 100 feet at the flick of a wrist (an 80 foot improvement, probably worth it).

Beginning to wonder....is cat meat a good sturgeon bait? Just asking.

2. fly punk

fly punk lunatic trout bum

Good question and great answers. I too, am supposed to go to a wedding on Saturday. Though, I am going fishing in the morning. I figure a well crafted story of an over turned boat should allow me to stretch out my excursion well past the start time. The stress of such an ordeal will be far to much and an afternoon of fly tying will be the only solution.

flyfool likes this.
  3. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

A pinched barb will take care of all your troubles. You'll catch just as many fish with a pinched barb as you will with a barb. With a pinched barb the hook will come out much easier out of your finger, hand, ear, or head.

psycho likes this.
  4. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Forget the fishing. I think someone wearing waders at the wedding would be "unforgettable".

5. Cruncher

Cruncher -

I would the cat fishing with you :cool:

6. fly punk

fly punk lunatic trout bum

Ok. Stash the waders in the car.....just before the wedding act like you got a text....and say "Oh, no! My good buddy Fly Punk and his buddy just over turned their boat see....uh... and....well he is really traumatized.... and uh...he really needs me to go see him, to calm him down.....yea!" That could buy you at least a few hours. Your wife/girlfriend may even give you props for being such a good friend, even though it cost you a lovely afternoon watching a beautiful union of two souls that you were SOOOOO looking forward to seeing. :) Hell, she may even make you dinner. LMAO!

Eric Denny likes this.
  7. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Is there a wife-type or GF-type unit intimidating you to attend the accursed wedding? Are they aware of your plans to stop and fish along the way? Do they anger easily and hold a grudge with revenge a possibility?

You should keep these things in mind. A hungry cat could be the least of your problems.

I suppose you could point out there is really no reason to attend the wedding in the first place because the marriage only has a 50/50 chance of lasting and no one ever gives back their wedding gifts when they finally split the sheets so you may as well go fishing instead.

tythetier likes this.
  8. Jim Paget

Jim Paget Active Member

Having re-watched "Grumpier Old Men" last week, your responsibility is to the fishing. After all, Walter Mathau was supposed to marry Sophia Loren, and he went fishing. He eventually made it to the wedding in rubber boots. I have to assume from the general flow of this thread that it is not your wedding, and if it is, it certainly isn't to Sophia. You are however, required to practice catch and release.

flyfool likes this.
  9. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Play your cards very carefully here. Your goal is to teach Precious that fishing is the most wonderful lifestyle, and that she needs to embrace it herself. If that is impossible, plan B is that you convince her that fishing "grounds" you so that you can help share her/our burdens in life. If that is impossible, fuck it all, dump her now & go fish.
    Plan A is best if she's outdoorsy in any way. It is good to share some passion, you know, standing up.

10. Shad

Shad Active Member

Wear the waders. When asked why you're wearing waders, simply reply that when the vows get exchanged, you'll be ready. That will either win you big points for your sense of humor or get you kicked out, in which case you'll have no choice but to go fishing. You can't lose.

11. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:

Isn't that what big mixing bowls were made for??? OMJ, "knows how to eat without your help..." - laughed my ass off.

My cats spend multiple days on their own when I get the chance to take a fishing trip. They know how to eat, piss and shit all by themselves. Amazing! Now, if only they'd f'ing learn to clean out their own cat box...

12. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

The ditch tiger that lives at my house shits outside. If it shits inside it had better know how to flush a toilet.

13. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
    It's not surprising that a high percentage of fly fishers have a general disdain for cats. After all, it wasn't that long ago the sport required silk lines and gut leaders.

14. golfman44

golfman44 4-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year

This post was awesome. There needs to be a "super like" button.

15. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

No distain for cats here. However, the advantage of having a cat is that it can be left alone and fend for itself for a while. If it can't, you might as well get a dog!