sinking line

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Peyton00, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

For sub-surface stillwater fishing, you regain a lot of sensitivity to subtle strikes..which occur often on the retrieve pause...by keeping your rod tip near or slightly under the lake surface....regardless of leader length. A rod held up-right doesn't transmit low energy input all that efficiently. It adds too much slack to the line.

In very clear water, in full daylight, a long leader can be critical...not so much in more turbid or poorly lit conditions.

As for a tapered leader...a suitably stiff straight fluorocarbon line works just fine...all it really needs to do is deliver the wetfly without a big nasty tangle or splash. Yes, you're not setting a dryfly, and the strikes occur during the retrieve, but there's no point in spooking everything at the end of your tackle system.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  2. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

Thanks for all the responses.

3. Lue Taylor

Lue Taylor Lue Taylor/dbfly

IT ALL DEPEND ON WHAT DEPTH YOU ARE TARGETING SHORT LEADER FLY GET'S DOWN FASTER LONGER STAY UP IN THE WATER COLUMN AND AGAIN IT DEPEND ON HOW FAST ARE YOU MOVING OR STANDING STILL HOW LONG YOU WAIT FOR THE LINE TO SINK. IF YOU KEEP IN MIND THAT FISH LIKE TO FEED IN 3-4 FT OF WATER WHICH IS IDEAL AND IF YOU ARE CATCHING FISH AT 10 FT THEN YOU HAVE FOUND THE HONEY HOLE OR THE LEVEL THE FISH ARE SITTING BECAUSE OF WATER TEMP AND FOOD WHICH IS KEY,ONE OTHER THING FISH CHASE SO YOUR FLY MAY START AT 15FT BUT FISH TOOK IT AT 5FT SORRY FOR ALL CAPS THE KEY STUCK OR BROKEN ON MY LAPTOP

4. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

I went back today. I arrived at 1:30. It was a very breezy day full of sunshine. Majority came on the troll. I did however pick up some fish casting and stripping in the chop. I didn't change my leader length at all. I will make a better attempt and mixing it up next time.