Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Skagit River Float

6K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Nailknot 
#1 ·
I am hoping someone can tell me if float from Marblemount to Rockport is an easy float for testing a new pontoon boat? I read a post here a few days ago that suggested that it was a great senic trip and maybe I would find a fish or two but I don't recall reading anything about places to watch out for. Looking to go somewhere tomorrow and the OP is too far for a one day trip.

#2 ·
Awesome float, that was my first time being in a pontoon and man was it a blast! The BIG logs jams and swift current kinda scared me for a second but the pontoons were soooo responsive and spun on a dime that you can row practically out of anything. Just make sure you prepare your position when seeing ahead waaay ahead of time. When drifting a semi-swift current, make sure your boat is at 45 degrees, you will not only move faster, but puts you into position to make any easy manuver when in danger. Good luck and be safe. PS: WEAR A PFD!!!

Peter ><>

John 14:6

#3 ·
If you see something coming up that you don't like the looks of, then point the toon at it and row backwards.
Now the current should push you away from the danger. If you don't think you are going to clear the trouble spot, then row harder. Little quick chops of the oars can generate a lot of power. Let the river help you. Don't row back upstream. We are going down and that's it. What's important is how we go down. We want to pass any obstruction with the most clearence and good attitude of the boat. Pass at an angle; never head on if you can help it.
Hope this helps you. Be sure to get out of the boat and fish likely spots. Don't just keep floating. We are fishing not floating.
Bob, the Float Lover:thumb :thumb :thumb

#5 ·
Put it this way, your more likely to recover in a Pontoon that in a driftboat. Pontoons are unsinkable, just stay calm,relaxed and plan your moves waaay ahead of time, most of all: WEAR A QUALITY PFD.
Most of the time if you slam into a hidden rock or something, the PVC bottom will save the tube and will just roll over and/or around the obstruction.

Peter ><>

John 14:6

#7 ·
I've done that trip in a pontoon and survived. Just remember to stay in the middle of the river and that should spare you any fear factor. There are a couple of shoots to go thru just stay inside and dont get pushed out to the side. Good Luck and always wear a vest!!

#8 ·
This was my first float in a pontoon. I was a little nervous but after it was all said and done it was unfounded.

A couple of suggestions. Travel with someone. If you don't have someone to partner with (this helps for the shuttle between Marblemount and Rockport) see if you can buddy up with someone else that is making the float. Just introduce yourself at the launch. This doesn't mean that you need to fish next to each other just have them watch out for each other as you leapfrog the key fishing holes.

Second, plan your time on the river. This time of year you can not spend a lot of time at each hole. The power line crossing is just about the half way point of the float. Use this to judge your time on the river. The "101 hole" (the river comes at the hiway at about 90deg and the highway is protected by riprap. This is just after the braided portion of the river - last year) is about 2/3rds of the way through the float.

There is only one place that I found some what daunting. It is near the begining. The river drops about 3 or 4 feet in a very shout distance. Stay in the center of main channel that is to the left. The water is fast and has some white water waves. This is where you want to run. The waves are not that big and once you traverse it you will feel more comfortable with the capabilities of your pontoon and your abilities. Always wear a PDF!

Good luck with the float. I hope you get into them. But even if you don't, it will be great to be on the river.

lastcall

#9 ·
Your post reminds me of 2.5 years ago when I was unsure about rowing my new drift boat down. It is a very 'easy' float (granted 'easy' is relative to the individual), however, after just floating the Hoh...it is EASY!

The Skagit, form Marblemount to Rockport is a great first time float...very few obstacles and the few that are there have plenty of room to manuever around.

You might want to consider floating the Swift Creek to Rockport drift for your first float...it is shorter and has two very nice (long) runs to fish. There is only two areas of minor 'rowing'...other than that sit back float...row only when necessary...or you'll find out at the end of the day you rowed to much!

When in doubt scout...other than that wear a PFD!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.