NFR Small Town Values

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by zen leecher aka bill w, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Brett Angel

Brett Angel Member

Common courtesy and honesty are two values I place high on my list and both aren't practiced as much as I prefer in the Seattle area. Ever get a flat tire or break down on the side of the road in Seattle? 5000+ cars will pass you before someone stops if anyone ever does.

triploidjunkie likes this.
  2. generic

generic Active Member

If you want to lump everyone who makes a prayer, together with that church, then that's your choice. If so, that means you have a problem with Martin Luther King, the Muslims, Mother Teresa, Native Americans, etc. They all make/made prayers to God.

Now, if they tried to shove God down your throat, or convert you on the spot after the prayer... then yeah, I'd have a problem with it too.

However, all that was given was a prayer. Again, if you don't like it, just ignore it.

Evan Burck, obiwankanobi and Old Man like this.
  3. tkww

tkww Member

Made a lot easier to do by members of that group not cleaning up their own house. Or Church, if you will. The lumping may not be fair, but the unwillingness to be more critical of what's going under/inside the "Christian" umbrella than what's going on outside it is a part of the reason they all get lumped together. (You know, the whole spec of sawdust/plank of wood bit.)

I'm assuming you feel the same way about everything else that everyone else believes or choses to do? (Say, sexual expression, "profanity," etc.) The 'just ignore it bit' misses the point but I'm generally willing to go along with it so long as long as my tax dollars aren't involved. If they are involved and religious expression in any form is as well, than I find that impossible to ignore.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  4. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

I would sooner see my tax dollars used in supporting Christmas activities than a "winter holiday". If someone doesn't want their tax dollars spent on any religious expression, then I don't want mine spent on a frickin' politically correct, don't offend anybody for goodness sake, holiday festivity or some other lame excuse for a renamed, sanitized holiday.

I'm quite sure I will get a like from Alex on this one.

5. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

How 'bout we quit wasting money on either then we can all do whatever we like.

6. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    But... then how will I force everyone to live by my standards?

Lugan and Kent Lufkin like this.
  7. zen leecher aka bill w

Hey, I'm all for a "decorating the fly rod" yule time activity.

rockthief and Gary Knowels like this.
  8. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    This is an outstanding idea. Don't forget to dawn the traditional banana suit for the occasion.

9. zen leecher aka bill w

No banana suits as bananas aren't meant to be pear shaped.

Lugan and triploidjunkie like this.
  10. tythetier

tythetier Fish Slayer

I miss the small town thing as well. We lived in Enumclaw for a while a few years back. Never had to worry about anything in our little appartment complex. I think we were the youngest residents....
    Just the old ladies thinking I kid napped my kid cousin that was in town from Alabama visiting all the family...

If I had to choose a small town to live in, it would be Pinedale, Wy. My wifes Aunt lives there, she only locks her doors when she goes out of town. I think the deer and moose out number the people 3-1... She said more people have moved in since big oil has crept in, but it still has the small town feel. When we went a few years back, I think I got 10 waves from old guys in pick up trucks in a two block walk from the creek back to her house. I am thinking it was because I was packing the fly rod, but proly not... I could just see all the old timers just waving at everybody. It is kinda nice... I would smile, and return the wave.

triploidjunkie likes this.
  11. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

12. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

13. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

I went to grade- and high school in a small town of 3,500 in northern California. It's still that size, which says a lot about its economic prospects. I went to college in another small town where the students outnumbered the year round residents by 2:1 yet their combined total was less than 10,000.

Some folks like the idea of knowing everybody on a first name basis. Some of that's nice. Too much is, well, too much. With so little to do, most small town folks seems to specialize in knowing more about your business than you do.

Frankly, the anonymity of living in a city was and is a huge relief to the stifling, inbred quality of the small towns I've lived in.

K

GAT, Gary Knowels and Krusty like this.
  14. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Then you didn't live in a neighborhood like mine. I know all my neighbors. We have dinners together. We have keys to each others houses to let our dogs out when we'll be out late. We get each others mail when we're away on a trip. We sign for each others UPS and FedEx deliveries. But we've got privacy when we want it and nobody presumes to know what's better for your life than you do.

K

Jim Wallace and Krusty like this.
  15. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

Some communities within large cities manage to develop a real sense of 'community', and some small towns never manage to do so. I've spent some time in small wheat country towns that are very insular...you would always be considered an outside interloper even if you'd lived there twenty years...you have to be born there to ever be fully accepted. I've been in small mountain towns of equivalent size that were extremely welcoming.

Towns take on the personalities of their inhabitants...and tend to reinforce certain shared group behavior dynamics.

Lugan and Jim Wallace like this.