Some final thoughts on yellowjackets

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by IveofIone, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

That's the great thing about getting old....they been buzzin about yer head all summer, ya couldn't see 'em, and the little basterds were scaird they'd get sick if they stung yer nasty old carcass!

Patrick Gould and Nick Clayton like this.
  2. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

When the weather starts to cool off they will get nasty. Lots of the little devils around so I bet a lot of people will be stung as summer starts to wind down.

3. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Home Page:
    Ive that is amazing. How about Fruit Flies, any suggestions? so far we got about three wine bottles out with a half inch of white wine- the flies "check in and die happy" as my wife says. But any other techniques you are holding out on us for the FF?

4. Old406Kid

Old406Kid Active Member

Just had the FF thing. First try to figure out the source, I thought it was the kitchen sink but finally figured they were coming from the pop can crusher just outside the garage/utility room door. Tried bleach down the kitchen sink drain etc.
    Googled and found a simple answer. Build a trap by snipping a corner off of a Ziploc sandwich bag and rubber band it as an inverted funnel over a small drinking glass with about 1/2" of apple cider vinegar and a bit of dishwashing soap to break the
    surface tension.
    Took a few days but got rid of them. Oh yeah, cleaned and quit using the can crusher too!

Greg Armstrong likes this.
  5. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Home Page:
  6. bakerite

bakerite Active Member

Incredible numbers of Yellow Jackets here in Eastern Oregon this year. Not too bad at my house but a "bummer crop" for sure....lots of people getting stung and you take your life in your hands having a picnic or even a beverage outside in some locations.

7. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

This worked!
    Thanks for this simple idea. We had a minor "hatch" going on in our kitchen. It started from a bowl of fruit we had on the counter. The fruit flies were driving me nuts, so I tried this cure, and it worked like a charm - thanks!

8. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Cutting the top 1/3 off of a plastic soda bottle works for fruit flies, too. put vinegar & detergent in the bottom, invert the top of the bottle like a funnel into the base, and trap away.

9. Jaydub

Jaydub Member

That's a lot of jackets.

Honey bees aren't attracted to that bait.

I had to take out a nest in my wood pile this summer. I donned waders, leather jacket and gloves and a head net, dismantled the wood pile and took care of it at the source. Not much fun.