South Fork Snoq. Report

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Chris Scoones, Jul 3, 2001.

1. Chris Scoones

Chris Scoones Administrator Staff Member

Hi Beadhead, nice to have you on.

Sorry I didn't get to see the hatch. I haven't been on the river in a few days and with your report I'll have to go check it out.

On the Twin Falls trail push up river considerably, almost to the falls itself. Those pools at the trailhead sure are enticing though aren't they.

I'm not sure about where your talking about exactly. If you mean down river from the bridge (West) those trails are on I believe private property but accessing them has never been an issue. The river has kept coming down lately and at this point I would think you could wade it from the bridge and just walk the river.

Up river from the Bridge is all private property so you have to wade all of it.

I've notice a few duns out but am interested in the rest of the hatches you noticed. If I ever get out of work today I'll get out there and see.

Regards,

~Chris

2. guest

guest Guest

I'm a little late with a reply. I just could not make it at the first of the week. I came down with a summer cold and I just can't seem to shake it. I've had it for seven days now,just can't seem to get my head clear. Will try to go next week. I am getting very antsy. Jim S.

3. Stretch

Stretch New Member

Hi,
    New to the site but have been fishing the forks, especially SF for two years now with large numbers of small fish. A good afternoon or evening will see 10-15 fish in the 6-12 inch range. I haven't tried nymphing, usually just a 16 tan elk hair caddis. I usually fish from bridge at exit 34 upriver. The info you give is great, I'll try three forks park this weekend. Last summer I was able to hit the river 60 or so times, then had a kid, our first. This weekend will be my third time on the water this year...Then, off to AK for some salmon on flies(wife grew up there) Good luck and look forward to running into you on the water-I always wear a yellow trout hat from Wood River Outfitters in Ketchum-Sun Valley Idaho where I grew up.

4. BARTOLOTTI

BARTOLOTTI New Member

Stretch,
    This is a Washington site, so I need to watch myself, but you mentioned Ketchum-Sun Valley, ID and my ears perked up. My wife Charity and I are going this fall(her friends have a home at the bottom of Sun Valley and can go any non-ski day...)and want to fish the Wood, Spring Creek and any other you mention. Would you please e-mail me @ CampBart@juno.com? I have a few questions re the area. Thanks. Glen

5. Steelie L

Steelie L Member

Hi Chris, if you don't mind me asking, what color/size stonefly do you have the most success with on the Snoqualmie?

Thanks!

6. troutski

troutski New Member

If you don't mind me commenting on that, I fished the North Fork last Friday p.m. behind Gate 10. Found that a golden stone size 10 was effective. The fish aren't too big as most already know. There was a fair amount of action though. The previous Friday was doing good with a stimulator and a #12 Prince Nymph dropper. Still looking for some size up there but looks like you go thru many smaller fish before you find their bigger brothers & sisters.

7. Chris Scoones

Steelie,
    troutski's sizes and descriptions are pretty much what I'm using. Vary the sizes a bit if things arn't clicking.

~Chris

8. Chris Scoones

Glen,

You don't have to watch yourself talking about area's outside Washington. This is for Washington Anglers but that doesn't mean we don't take trips. Anything applicable to fly fishing is fine with me.

Regards,

~Chris

9. Cuyose

Cuyose New Member

I have been fishing off exit 42 lately, north and south of the bridge and having good luck. most trout ar small, 6-8 inches, but it isn't unheard of to get into a dozen or so in less than 2 hours.

Last week I was up there and took tied into 2 cutthoat over 12 inches south of the bridge.