Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

South Olympic small streams

699 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Skysoldier 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new to the site so still trying to get a feel for it. I am currently living near the south edge of the Olympics near where I grew up. As a kid I used to fish the small mountain and lowland streams for cutthroats (both resident and sea run) now I am in college and strictly a fly fisherman I have been trying to make it back to all my old stomping grounds, this time without the spinners and salmon eggs. I have been fishing some small streams but not having much luck of late. I figure its getting on into summer more and the dry fly action should be getting better. These creeks are pretty straight forward when it comes to reading water and finding where the fish will be (mostly log jams and pocket water behind boulders etc.) but I haven't been finding the fish as I had expected to. Been trying both dries and nymphs and just wondering if anyone might have some insight. Thanks!

#2 ·
This time of year I like to fish two nymphs pretty shallow. The first one about 16 inches below the indicator and the second about a foot below the first one. I seem to have more luck in the softer shallow water on the inside of big seams. The fish are looking up, but not very willing to take a dry just yet. Good luck, and welcome to the best forum on the internet!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.