Spey Reels $500.00-$600.00

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Pacific Steelheader, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Brady Burmeister

Brady Burmeister Active Member

I run an 8/9 on both a 13'4" 7wt and an 11'6" 9wt. I think either an 8/9 or 10/11 would work on your rod depending on your balance point and hand placement preferences. You may want to do some trials with different weights (other reels, bags of coins) fixed to your reel seat to see which one you want.

2. Dave Evans

Dave Evans Active Member

Give Poppy a call at the Red Shed. He has many brands and common sense and would not steer you wrong.

3. Nathan Weston

Nathan Weston Member

I highly recommend the Solitude 5.
    I picked up one from Ed Megill last fall for my z-axis 8wt 13'6" spey and it's amazing reel. Huge line capacity, super smooth drag, bullet proof and classic design. Plus it's made in Anacortes Washington.

4. Josh

Josh dead in the water

I was going to point out the Solitude reels as well. Locally made (more towards Mt Vernon than Anacortes) and high quality.

5. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

[quote="Brady Burmeister, post: 815617, member: 14236" I think either an 8/9 or 10/11 would work on your rod depending on your balance point and hand placement preferences. You may want to do some trials with different weights (other reels, bags of coins) fixed to your reel seat to see which one you want.[/quote]
    The weight difference between the 8/9 and 10/11 is minimal (12oz. vs 12.3/4 oz.) but I believe the line/backing capacity difference is significant .

6. Pacific Steelheader

Pacific Steelheader New Member

Great information.... I like gear so I'm sure this won't be my only Spey reel. Heck I own 20 something trout reels.

7. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

+1 with John here. Only reels I've ever fished with that you could pound nails with. They are affordable, extreamly well made, and only one that I know of where you can 'customize' same to your 'personal desires.'