Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Steelhead spawning info

563 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  BOBLAWLESS 
#1 ·
I just have quick question.
Do steelhead spawn in the main river and major forks of river or do they travel up small tributaries to spawn, or is it a mixture of both?
Also does anyone on this site fish the smaller tribs and is that considered to be ethical to fish for steelhead in these tribs if they are NOT already on there spawning beds?

#2 ·
To answer your questions:

Steelhead will spawn in bodies of water as big as the mainstem columbia to little creeks that are dry during the summer. Most of the "smaller tribs" are closed after october 31st to protect spawning fish. There are obiviously exceptions to this, but most of the situations where steelhead are spawning in small water, the water is closed while they are spawning. So first, check your regs on specific sites. Second, ethically speaking, views range widely. It is generally excepted though that picking off paired spawners from their redds in small clear water is unethical and unsporting. Everyone needs to develop their own sense of responsibility and ethics, but when doing so, keep in mind what your objectives are. If you are the way I am, you want to pursue a worthy adversary in his (her) full glory. For me, this means not fishing for fish that are obviously spawning, and not fishing water that is so small i gain a considerable advantage. I have gone on long enough here, hope some of this helps.
-Tom

#3 ·
I'm going to agree with Tom on this one. And as for closing the waters of the smaller streams it is a good thing and on some of the smaller ones that are still open that I know of you will have one hell of a time accessing them due to where they are located at.

Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.