Stehekin Fly Fishing

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Wesley laws, Jul 22, 2013.

1. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Yep, dries and wets should cover it. Maybe throw in some nymphs and egg patterns.

2. ken2cross

ken2cross Member

I think you are in for a treat. I caught the biggest cutthroat I have ever seen there (but that was in the lake right downtown while waiting for the boat.)
    Be sure to check conditions before you go. Last year when I was there the streams were all blown out.

3. Preston

Preston Active Member

Brown or cinnamon phase black bears are occasionally encountered in the Cascades and Olympics; another example of common names breeding confusion. The Alaskan "brown bear" is a subspecies of grizzly.

4. Billy McFly

Billy McFly Active Member

I've run into Black Bears many times and at first site they bolt. I surprised on hiking up to Minors Ridge off the Suiattle. I came around a bend in the trail and there was the bear not 20' away. I had my camera around my neck but all I got was a shot of his butt as he disappeared into the brush.

Many years ago I was camping way up above Winthrop to the Northwest. We were heading into town on a beer run, drove around a corner and there was a griz in the middle of the fs road. This guy was huge, with a big hump on his back, cinnamon colored. We were in a large 4X4 truck but he did not run. We stopped and stared at each other for a second then he wondered down the hill. I'm glad we were in that truck but if he wanted to he could have peeled it open for an easy snack.

Pred and 10incher like this.
  5. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Excellent thread hijack, gentlemen.

6. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

It went left on the 2nd post. Never seen it happen that fast.

dibling, Jim Wallace and McNasty like this.
  7. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    Some of these guys seem just too determined to change the subject, which leads me to believe that the fishing there is off the Richter Scale. Now i am going to make a point to get over there and explore! I've never fished the Stehiken, but now its moving up toward the top of my list.;)

Pred and triploidjunkie like this.

8. its about as good as the cedar and just to far in my opinion to have any fishing value

9. Wesley laws

Wesley laws New Member

My group of friends does a lot of hiking out there and we make a point to stop there for 3 days or so and its hard to standby and not fish that river. Just needed some pointers on what flys to use. I haven't fly fished in a while and would love to try it on that river. Thanks for some of the pointers everyone.

10. what would you use on the methow or Yakima?

it will be the same stuff in general maybe just different timing of the year. I suggest getting one of the orvis insect books or equivalent and learning what caddis, stones, and all the other freshwater bugs generally look like. it will pay dividends if you fish as far as east as maine all the way to Washington.

in fact I just realized I haave this book on my shitter stack at work. [​IMG]

it has full explanations of lifecycle of bugs, freshwater crustaceans, leeches and baitfish

personally I am a two hander whore and love swinging ugly ass leech patterns

11. Wilken

Wilken Member

You might want to bring some green drake flies (nymphs, emergers, adults). It may be a little early for that hatch but if it is cloudy, you never know. I've caught some really nice cutbows and rainbows in that stream during the drake hatch. Other than that, the typical stream fly selection also work (i.e. adams, black ant, caddis, pt nymphs, stone fly nymphs, egg patterns, sculpin etc.).

And believe me, it ain't too far. The scenery is amazing, there are no tweakers breaking in to your camp, very few fisherman (if any) and the fish can be quite large. Apparently Bass Turds hasn't been to Alaska, Montana, Patagonia or New Zealand to fish because none of them are too far either, even though they are much further than the Stehekin. I recommend the hydrofoil boat to get there!

12. JayH

JayH Active Member

13. You didnt catch my sarcasim about the cedar. I always tell people these rivers dont have fish and suck.

Im well aware of stehekin and what it holds. One day i will do the trek over. Until then i will be grease lining powerbait

14. Porter

Porter Active Member

Just watch out for this guy!!!

[​IMG]

15. grsmith51

grsmith51 New Member

Couple things I would do. Not sure where you are staying but get ahold of Cliff Courtney up at the ranch, easy enough to email them. Find out if he is running his rafting trips and if he is take one. Lots of fun and you can find the holes as you take a beautiful float down the river from the ranch. Come back and fish them later, (take the bus up the valley and get off and fish your way back down). Also as mentioned earlier check with the fly shop, should call and make an appointment if necessary, or use them as a guide early in your trip to point out spots you can hit later. You may not be into it, but a BHP drifted into deep pools can be deadly. But no matter what the scenery is fantastic, and the food at the ranch beats most restaurants I've eaten at.

Greg S.