Stillwater, the worst online fly shop ever.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by 9iron, Aug 16, 2013.

1. 9iron

9iron Member

Hey Dipnet, don't be sorry sir, you were doing me a favor. I'm not mad, just disappointed in them. I did save a good chunck of change, and as I mentioned to you before, I understood you were telling me there would likely be a wait and I was OK with that if it happened. What soured me was the process, which was either ineptness or deciet or both. It's great to save money, but it can definitely still be a bad experience when things go like they did. A little honesty goes a long way to maintaining integrity. Hopefully they learn that somewhere along the way.

Again, I posted this as a heads up to prospective buyers. Due diligence brothers.

2. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Question? Is this the stillwater fly shop in central Oregon?

With a whole 10 posts you come on here ranting and raving about lying people at a shop and terrible service. late shipping and plain out terrible people to deal with!

You don't use your name!
    You don't write where your from!
    You have no pictures!

So who the heck are you? could be all lies from another shop who wants to sell more items and are pissed at stillwater because they sell so much> I for one, am not going to let one bad apple ruin the whole barrel!

You got what you needed - it just took longer than expected. I myself have never had a problem with them and just ordered more indi's from them if it's the shop in Oregon! And if you want some of the best trophy trout guides in central Oregon they are hard to beat.

3. PT

PT Physhicist

I bought a demo Sage ONE from them and it arrived in a couple days as described. Free shipping, no sales tax, rod was used but they provided plenty of pics for me to "inspect". Sorry you had a bad experience but it happens.

4. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

This is one of the reasons that I like to see what I buy. Be it on line or in person. I've bought a few reels from Allen Fly Fishing. I asked to see the reels before I bought them. He was nice enough to send them to me so I could check them out. I ended up with two reels and one sent back. In the long run I also got a free reel. Since then I have bought several more things from there.

It doesn't hurt to ask. If you trust somebody new they will trust you back.

5. 9iron

9iron Member

Yes, it's stillwaterflyshop.com

So, what, there's a post minimum for commenting on bad experiences, and you're the post count police?

A lot of guys here don't use their real names, post pictures, or comment on where they live. So what. No, I am not affiliated with any other flyshop or industry business.

No, I didn't get what I needed, I got what I didn't order, didn't get what I did order, and still don't have it squared away. Todayis the 17th, I ordered and paid on the 3rd, with a site that claimed to have it in stock and ship the next day. You must sho at walmart and feel that this is exemplary service.

Are you a moderator? If not, what the hell is your problem? You come across as very defensive over something you are not involved in. I'm trying to pass along a warning about some crappy service, and you take offense? Strange dude.

DanielOcean and dfl like this.
  6. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

I have purchased two items at different times recently from Stillwater. The first was a not commonly carried fly line. When it arrived (quickly) it was the wrong line. I called and spoke with Jake who apologised and asked me to keep the line if I could use it and had the correct line expedited to me. I sent the first line back but the second line landed before I was able to get to the PO. Second purchase was flawless. I mostly buy local but would not hesitate to use them again.
    Sorry your experience wasn't as good but I believe the business is a good one. There are two sides to every pancake.
    This is my real name.

Mark Kraniger likes this.
  7. ralfish

ralfish Active Member

You are complaining about a 13 day wait, really? I would understand 4-5 months but 13 days is pretty fast compared to what I'm used to waiting for...

8. golfman44

golfman44 4-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year

You realize those outbound lines are all the exact same, right? (rio has told me this). Same line different packaging.

9. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

Yeah, I checked into this also with several local shops and also Rio.

To my knowledge, the fresh and salt lines are the same but there is a difference between the tropical and coldwater lines due to the coatings.

Actually, I don't recall if Rio told me about the difference in tropical vs. coldwater or someone else.

10. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

9iron, have you logged your complaint with Stillwater?

If not, I'd encourage you to do so.

In my former working life I ran a marina that had a retail shop. If a customer was unhappy I would want to know about it! How could I correct any problems if they weren't made known to me?

DanielOcean likes this.