Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Stroke sucks, you're not too young!

NFR 
4K views 66 replies 51 participants last post by  Jim Speaker 
#1 ·
Well, here's my admission, I'm a pretty young guy only 43 years old.

Yesterday just after 7:20 pm I had a stroke.

I am reasonably fit, 5'10" 175 lbs. My cholesterol is normal, in the 90s. I have healthy BP and pulse, no sign of arrhythmia.

Weird right? Yes. I have no notable med history til now...now I can say, "no, just a stroke!" when asked that.

It's hard to type, especially on my iPhone (which I could barely call my GF and 911 on yesterday). I have a bit of trouble talking unless I talk slow and deliberate. The stroke got my motor functions on right side. Yesterday I was hardly intelligible and my right hand was not capable of signing my name nearly close to right.

I am blessed that my thinking is still 100%. Thank God I'm ok.

My motor stuff will come back with practice. I will tie more married wing Parmachene Belle and watch trout munch on them!

Typing is hard, I'm making too many mistakes.

Last words: call 911 FAST!!! Don't screw around. Don't wait. Time is brain - and it's way too easy to take its simplest functions for granted.

See less See more
#3 ·
Scary sh*t man, glad you're still on this side of the grass. 43 seems damn young, what were the signs/symptoms? Assume it was something really obvious or no?

Reactions: Jim Speaker
#5 ·
I had "ringing in my left ear" that was so loud it was more like volume of screaming in my ear. It was instant. I felt I'd fall so I sat, then laid down. Then laying and shaking barely was able to make phone calls - two.

At one point EMT could not figure out problem and stood me up to see how it goes - pulse dropped to 30 and nearly out before they laid me back down.

#11 ·
If anybody can make a full recovery from a stroke, it's you Jim.

I've known Jim for 27 years now and will tell you all this, he is one tough sucker and there is no more determined guy around. Expect to continue seeing beautiful flies tied with instructions, some of the best fishing reports around, and the occasional internet fight from Jim Speaker. If this guy can haul himself up El Capitan, become a top guy in his chosen profession, catch more fish than seems reasonable, all while being one of the nicest guys I've ever met, well then, he can overcome this.

I'm sorry you're going through this Jim, but am glad you have people you love surrounding you. Relax and get on with the full recovery! Then come on up to AK and let's catch some fish!

-Jeff

#12 ·
If anybody can make a full recovery from a stroke, it's you Jim.

I've known Jim for 27 years now and will tell you all this, he is one tough sucker and there is no more determined guy around. Expect to continue seeing beautiful flies tied with instructions, some of the best fishing reports around, and the occasional internet fight from Jim Speaker. If this guy can haul himself up El Capitan, become a top guy in his chosen profession, catch more fish than seems reasonable, all while being one of the nicest guys I've ever met, well then, he can overcome this.

I'm sorry you're going through this Jim, but am glad you have people you love surrounding you. Relax and get on with the full recovery! Then come on up to AK and let's catch some fish!

-Jeff
Thanks so much Jeff! Really kind words...

You know I'm looking forward to hangin out as soon as we can!

#23 ·
Jim,

There is hope. I've seen a family member recover from both a heart attack and stroke. We ended up fly fishing rivers in Alaska for salmon within 2 years of the heart atack then stroke. Make no mistake, the stroke appeared to take more out of him than the heart attack, but he recovered well enough to fight hearty salmon on a single handed fly rod.

Glad you are still with us and hope you can regain your fly fishing/tying skills soon.

#25 ·
Whoa! I just got home and turned my computer on to find this shocker.
Hard to believe that the healthy and vigorous young dude with whom I recently fished just had a stroke.

Jim, I'm glad to hear that you were able to make those calls and get some help. This bad news has me in a state of shock. Your friend Jeff is right. You are one tough guy, and if anyone can pull off a clean recovery from such a thing, its you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.