Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

The new forum

WFF 
16K views 144 replies 76 participants last post by  Bob Young 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

The new site is operational but I'm still finishing up a number of items. Work on those tweaks will continue for a while.

Initial items of note:
  1. You will need to log back in.
  2. You may want to adjust your avatar. Click on your avatar until it brings you to the option to edit it. New format is square so that may not jive with your old image.
  3. Ratings: below everyone's posts now, towards the right, you will see
    . Use them. Allows for feedback on others approach without the chatter and it is tracked. In the classifieds there are two other ratings options.
    . They should be used to provide feedback for buyer / seller transactions.
  4. Trophy points, ratings, posts... Points are given based on criteria you can see in Help > Trophies. Points are given for positive ratings by others on your posts and to a lesser extent, post count.
  5. The mechanism for attaching photos to posts is an excellent improvement over the old forum. Just saying.
  6. Please update your link to the forum. Note that it's now /forum, not /board.
There is a lot more to cover but much of it will be obvious. For now, explore and, hopefully, enjoy it. If you see something obviously wrong, let me know here. Otherwise, explore a bit. I think you'll find things different but somewhat easy to figure out.

My item list:
  1. I need a beer. :)
  2. Groups aren't ready to release yet. I have them imported and almost ready to use save for one major item I need resolved before I can turn them back on. It's a security thing. I expect them back within a couple days.
  3. The gallery hasn't been adjusted yet from the old board to the new. Either the cookies or board/forum bridge is challenged, impacting logins. The gallery logout link doesn't work. Other than that, the gallery seams functional now.
  4. Add-on's: SocialGroups, PostRatings, XeniqueFramework, AdManager,
  5. Redirect forum
  6. Expose the article content. In progress.
  7. The attachments were imported but are not displayed in posts any longer. Update: It's going to be a bit before this is resolved, but it will be.
  8. Rebuild search cache. Posts, user cache, threads.
  9. Change the inbox notification email so it's not as confusing
  10. Re-instate the option to delete your own ads in the classifieds.
  11. Layouts: Adjust current layout. Some font size, contrast & color issues to work out.
  12. Sidebar: Adjust to display in forum_view & thread_view. Ads, links, etc.
Regards,

Chris Scoones

See less See more
#4 ·
I was having with drawl pains. I felt I was left out.

Only time will tell how I like this new system. I'm so set in my ways I don't like any changes. Being old does that to a person.

What in the hell happened to my post count. I feel like a newby with out my damn near 17,000 posts.

#15 ·
I was having with drawl pains. I felt I was left out.

Only time will tell how I like this new system. I'm so set in my ways I don't like any changes. Being old does that to a person.

What in the hell happened to my post count. I feel like a newby with out my damn near 17,000 posts.
I'll use that criterion for when I'm old! When I no longer like change I'm truly old!

#6 ·
I guess that change is good. I feel better each time I do something here on the new forum. It takes a while to get around in something new. So I feel it is a good upgrade.

I'm really computer DUMB. I have to fumble around to get anything done. It something happens on my Computer I have to rack my brain as how to fix it again.

#8 ·
Is there a way for us to view how many posts people have? I actually used to use that as a form of trust when it came to things. For example, in the classifieds, I could usually tell who was only on the forum to make a few bucks when their 'Join date' was five years ago and they only have 56 posts.
The little things, oh the little things...

#18 ·
Clearly lots of hard work went into the changes and the changes wouldn't have been considered unless they were seen to be improvements. I'm sure I'll adjust to them since they are minor changes compared to learning how to use a "smart" phone. This is the best forum of any I've visited or joined so very well done Chris.

#21 ·
Hi Chris,
First hats off to you on what no doubt is a lot of work --certainly hope you are getting compensation for it. Maybe I missed some posts on this, but what were the primary reasons for the change? I thought the prior format worked great. My immediate impression is mixed...like some aspects and not some others. Open invitation to meet and have a beer on me if you're ever in south sound.

#24 ·
--certainly hope you are getting compensation for it.
Ahhh, no. In gum, perhaps.

what were the primary reasons for the change?
  • The attachment manager. When you reply, before you hit "Post Reply", try uploading a few photos with "Upload a File". Upload more than one. Choose to add a thumb and a full sized image. It functions how you would hope it would. The old software, not so much. Look at the photos below. The full size image presents like it was sized that way without screwing the layout, when in fact it's a pretty large image, well beyond the page size.
  • Post Ratings, so the community can shape the atmosphere with feedback without having a bitch fest. Are you racking up dislikes? Perhaps it's you, not the other guys. But it didn't cost the topics atmosphere to get the point across.
  • Trophy Points, which is a continuation of Post Ratings... Lets folks know that it's the quality of communication and what they offer, not the quantity of times they hit Post Reply.
  • Improved approach to Thread Prefixes. Look at the classifieds, click on a prefix that interests you. See what happens. There is a lot more I can do with those elsewhere in the forum.
  • The Inbox Conversations (private messages)... Now they function a lot more like a private forum discussion. A lot more useful.
  • A host of things that support the mods & I with spambots, moderating, etc.
  • Improved Search, although I have some work to do before you will see the lift.
  • And it just functions better. When things are sorted out, I think you will agree.
  • I could probably go on, but that was enough for me.
Water Water resources Plant Tree Fluvial landforms of streams
Bottle Wine Drinkware Barware Drinking establishment
Plant Eye Bison Bull Tree
Water Plant Nature Natural landscape Tree
Sky Water Ecoregion Natural landscape Tree
Sky Shorts Grass Plant Happy
Sky Plant Tree Wheel Cloud

Tableware Drinkware Barware Ingredient Alcoholic beverage

#26 ·
Chris, I"m drinking your beer right now. I'll bring you some next time we meet. Kicking around the newness and already involved in a chat or two in a manner that is new to me. Solid work Sir!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.