Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

The new forum

WFF 
16K views 144 replies 76 participants last post by  Bob Young 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

The new site is operational but I'm still finishing up a number of items. Work on those tweaks will continue for a while.

Initial items of note:
  1. You will need to log back in.
  2. You may want to adjust your avatar. Click on your avatar until it brings you to the option to edit it. New format is square so that may not jive with your old image.
  3. Ratings: below everyone's posts now, towards the right, you will see
    . Use them. Allows for feedback on others approach without the chatter and it is tracked. In the classifieds there are two other ratings options.
    . They should be used to provide feedback for buyer / seller transactions.
  4. Trophy points, ratings, posts... Points are given based on criteria you can see in Help > Trophies. Points are given for positive ratings by others on your posts and to a lesser extent, post count.
  5. The mechanism for attaching photos to posts is an excellent improvement over the old forum. Just saying.
  6. Please update your link to the forum. Note that it's now /forum, not /board.
There is a lot more to cover but much of it will be obvious. For now, explore and, hopefully, enjoy it. If you see something obviously wrong, let me know here. Otherwise, explore a bit. I think you'll find things different but somewhat easy to figure out.

My item list:
  1. I need a beer. :)
  2. Groups aren't ready to release yet. I have them imported and almost ready to use save for one major item I need resolved before I can turn them back on. It's a security thing. I expect them back within a couple days.
  3. The gallery hasn't been adjusted yet from the old board to the new. Either the cookies or board/forum bridge is challenged, impacting logins. The gallery logout link doesn't work. Other than that, the gallery seams functional now.
  4. Add-on's: SocialGroups, PostRatings, XeniqueFramework, AdManager,
  5. Redirect forum
  6. Expose the article content. In progress.
  7. The attachments were imported but are not displayed in posts any longer. Update: It's going to be a bit before this is resolved, but it will be.
  8. Rebuild search cache. Posts, user cache, threads.
  9. Change the inbox notification email so it's not as confusing
  10. Re-instate the option to delete your own ads in the classifieds.
  11. Layouts: Adjust current layout. Some font size, contrast & color issues to work out.
  12. Sidebar: Adjust to display in forum_view & thread_view. Ads, links, etc.
Regards,

Chris Scoones

See less See more
#36 ·
Everything is looking pretty good. Now just need to catch a fish to so I have a photo to test out the upload capabilities.

Thank you for the hard work.

#38 ·
Hey, I was just going to say what Bandy said about the fish logo.
A few things I really like are how I don't have to hit "post reply" or whatever- it ajust lets me type here in this box at the bottom. Unless that was already here and I don't seem to have noticed it ever, ha.
And I also really really like how video links are laid out where you can see the video without having to open another window/tab- it just plays right there where it was posted (example, my Abel reels vid.).

Good job!

#40 ·
Jordan, it gets better than that. For most video sources (youtube, etc) you can simply copy / past in the page URL without having to worry about embed code. The forum does the rest.

Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQT9E06ql8Q&feature=g-vrec&context=G2ef89f6RVAAAAAAAAAA

Currently works for Dailymotion, Facebook, Liveleak, Metacafe, Vimeo & Youtube. I can add others later as needed.

OMJ: What I just said is that something you don't care about is easier for people who care about crap like that.

#41 ·
I wasn't too keen on the new page (although it's more simplistic), but then I saw I was awarded 4 trophies! I haven't had a trophy in a long time. Thanks Chris.

#45 ·
I liked the photos that came up on the left and the adds Ithink this format looks plain .Just my two cents,probably worth less then that.
I actually feel a little bit the same on that- I liked seeing the advertisements from our sponsors on the side, as well as the random little photo from the galleries that was in the top left corner.
I feel there could be a little more in regards to the looks. In terms of the new functions and the way things are set up, this site is rockin hard...but I do miss the pics.

#47 ·
Chris, A very timely update! I just got a fast new computer, big monitor, new operating system, speakers and sub woofer, loaded up the more streamlined Explorer 9 and have been happy as a clam with the new system. Now along comes a sleek new version of WFF-life is good. I have over a dozen jazz stations I can listen to while pounding keys. Sweet.

The only question I have at this point is how to view my previous mail. When I try to read my WFF mail I get a blank screen with a 404 in the upper left hand corner. Are those messages gone or is there some simple trick to retrieve them?

NIce job. Ive

#52 ·
Hi, it's switched sides and is a hyperlink instead of a button icon. Make sure you're logged in.

Chris, Thanks for all you do Sir. It's different and I will need to explore to get to know all of the functionality but I see at least one feature that I like... PMs are in Conversation threads without separate Inbox and Sent URLs so they are easier to follow

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.