Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

The new forum

WFF 
16K views 144 replies 76 participants last post by  Bob Young 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

The new site is operational but I'm still finishing up a number of items. Work on those tweaks will continue for a while.

Initial items of note:
  1. You will need to log back in.
  2. You may want to adjust your avatar. Click on your avatar until it brings you to the option to edit it. New format is square so that may not jive with your old image.
  3. Ratings: below everyone's posts now, towards the right, you will see
    . Use them. Allows for feedback on others approach without the chatter and it is tracked. In the classifieds there are two other ratings options.
    . They should be used to provide feedback for buyer / seller transactions.
  4. Trophy points, ratings, posts... Points are given based on criteria you can see in Help > Trophies. Points are given for positive ratings by others on your posts and to a lesser extent, post count.
  5. The mechanism for attaching photos to posts is an excellent improvement over the old forum. Just saying.
  6. Please update your link to the forum. Note that it's now /forum, not /board.
There is a lot more to cover but much of it will be obvious. For now, explore and, hopefully, enjoy it. If you see something obviously wrong, let me know here. Otherwise, explore a bit. I think you'll find things different but somewhat easy to figure out.

My item list:
  1. I need a beer. :)
  2. Groups aren't ready to release yet. I have them imported and almost ready to use save for one major item I need resolved before I can turn them back on. It's a security thing. I expect them back within a couple days.
  3. The gallery hasn't been adjusted yet from the old board to the new. Either the cookies or board/forum bridge is challenged, impacting logins. The gallery logout link doesn't work. Other than that, the gallery seams functional now.
  4. Add-on's: SocialGroups, PostRatings, XeniqueFramework, AdManager,
  5. Redirect forum
  6. Expose the article content. In progress.
  7. The attachments were imported but are not displayed in posts any longer. Update: It's going to be a bit before this is resolved, but it will be.
  8. Rebuild search cache. Posts, user cache, threads.
  9. Change the inbox notification email so it's not as confusing
  10. Re-instate the option to delete your own ads in the classifieds.
  11. Layouts: Adjust current layout. Some font size, contrast & color issues to work out.
  12. Sidebar: Adjust to display in forum_view & thread_view. Ads, links, etc.
Regards,

Chris Scoones

See less See more
#86 ·
Looks good, although I have yet to try inserting an image. If I cannot drag & drop directly from my computer, it ain't gonna happen. To my old tired eyes, that light green/gray font lacks contrast against the white background.

#88 ·
You can leave a conversation and if you do the conversation will be removed from your inbox. It won't be deleted outright unless everyone that was in the conversation chooses to leave it.

That approach to how things are handled in your inbox will likely be changed at some point but until then there are no restrictions with regards to how many messages you have, etc.

#93 ·
Chris, Why is it that to insert an image, I have to first put it on photo bucket, web shots or some other online site? Why can I not just upload it from my computer?
Also, I like to see who started a thread and who the the latest was to reply before I go there. That gray? font is damn near invisible against the light background. I would really appreciate it you could come up with something a little easier on the eyes.

#94 ·
Chris, Why is it that to insert an image, I have to first put it on photo bucket, web shots or some other online site? Why can I not just upload it from my computer?
If you want to display photos you wish to upload, click "Upload a File" under the post form. After the file(s) you've selected are uploaded, you can add either add their thumbnail or full image to the post where the cursor is at, as you wish. Try it, I think you will like it.

Cat Eye Felidae Carnivore Small to medium-sized cats

Backyard

Also, I like to see who started a thread and who the the latest was to reply before I go there. That gray? font is damn near invisible against the light background. I would really appreciate it you could come up with something a little easier on the eyes.
I'm still working on the layout. I'll adjust that to make it easier to read.

Chris

#96 ·
Chris,

Just a quick question about the Gallery. I'm logged-in to the forum, but the Gallery seems to need a separate log-in before I can manage my photos, so I tried logging in with my usual name and password, but failed. Is the Gallery still "work in progress"?

Thanks much for the help and all the great work,
[Redacted]

#102 ·
Old Man, well played. SAK, if you weren't known to be so farking cool I'd toss a thumbs down, but you bundled me with Matney and Decker and that is an odd combo for sure.

Chris, can you please lock SAK's post count at 666 forever? You can make that happen, right?

Chris, any chance the "go to first unread" radial button and the upper menu tool bar buttons can be larger? You know, all thumbs, often browsing on a hand held, technology compromised. Bigger is better, right?

#103 ·
Chris, any chance the "go to first unread" radial button and the upper menu tool bar buttons can be larger? You know, all thumbs, often browsing on a hand held, technology compromised. Bigger is better, right?
Ed, I think you will find, if you go to new posts. Then open a thread. It will auto to the last unread.

#105 ·
I don't care much for this rating system. You get friends on friends backs because of this thumbs up and thumbs down. This is the internet so why do you need a rating system. If you piss somebody off you can well bet that you will acquire a lot of thumbs down. Is all this necessary??

And this Conversation thing. We were all used to PM's and now something different. I'm out on a limb on this new stuff.

#106 ·
Jim, just think of a conversation as halfway between a PM and a group. You can invite up to forty into it and it runs like a group thread. You don't have to put it out on the main forum for all to see.

As for the rating system the one big advantage I see is the Mods. will have a way to watch out for real troublemakers. You know, the guys who like to stir the pot just for fun. Or think they are back on the debate team.

#107 ·
Jeff, you were on the debate team? Great point on the conversation option. Many participants but a closed list of members. Sadly, I'm not in many conversations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.