Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

The new forum

WFF 
16K views 144 replies 76 participants last post by  Bob Young 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

The new site is operational but I'm still finishing up a number of items. Work on those tweaks will continue for a while.

Initial items of note:
  1. You will need to log back in.
  2. You may want to adjust your avatar. Click on your avatar until it brings you to the option to edit it. New format is square so that may not jive with your old image.
  3. Ratings: below everyone's posts now, towards the right, you will see
    . Use them. Allows for feedback on others approach without the chatter and it is tracked. In the classifieds there are two other ratings options.
    . They should be used to provide feedback for buyer / seller transactions.
  4. Trophy points, ratings, posts... Points are given based on criteria you can see in Help > Trophies. Points are given for positive ratings by others on your posts and to a lesser extent, post count.
  5. The mechanism for attaching photos to posts is an excellent improvement over the old forum. Just saying.
  6. Please update your link to the forum. Note that it's now /forum, not /board.
There is a lot more to cover but much of it will be obvious. For now, explore and, hopefully, enjoy it. If you see something obviously wrong, let me know here. Otherwise, explore a bit. I think you'll find things different but somewhat easy to figure out.

My item list:
  1. I need a beer. :)
  2. Groups aren't ready to release yet. I have them imported and almost ready to use save for one major item I need resolved before I can turn them back on. It's a security thing. I expect them back within a couple days.
  3. The gallery hasn't been adjusted yet from the old board to the new. Either the cookies or board/forum bridge is challenged, impacting logins. The gallery logout link doesn't work. Other than that, the gallery seams functional now.
  4. Add-on's: SocialGroups, PostRatings, XeniqueFramework, AdManager,
  5. Redirect forum
  6. Expose the article content. In progress.
  7. The attachments were imported but are not displayed in posts any longer. Update: It's going to be a bit before this is resolved, but it will be.
  8. Rebuild search cache. Posts, user cache, threads.
  9. Change the inbox notification email so it's not as confusing
  10. Re-instate the option to delete your own ads in the classifieds.
  11. Layouts: Adjust current layout. Some font size, contrast & color issues to work out.
  12. Sidebar: Adjust to display in forum_view & thread_view. Ads, links, etc.
Regards,

Chris Scoones

See less See more
#114 ·
Kenneth,

I expect some difference. The new forum recounted and would not take into account comments in the gallery or posts in groups. It would also remove any previous counts in discussions that were remove, such as classifieds ads that people frequently delete after their stuff is sold.

That said, the new forum search on your posts only found 16 posts. I show many more than that on the old board. I'll look into it when I have some time. For now, I have some larger issues with the new forum & gallery to deal with.

Chris

#115 ·
Chris, thanks much for the quick reply. No worries, the post count doesn't actually bother me, I was just curious, that's all. I've said this before, and I'll say it again: thanks much for keeping this place going and for dealing with everything in such a quick and courteous manner.

BTW, if it's any help, when I look at my profile and click on the "Find all content by [Redacted]", I come up with 91 postings -- I didn't think it was as many as that!

All the best,
[Redacted]

#118 ·
I am having trouble sending a "new conversation". It cleared the juicy OP report that I had typed up for 15m and then gave me a 500 error.

Bummmmer.
Maybe you don't "converse" well with others!

Hey Jeff, notice that Chris went fishing...the WFF logo is back.

#122 ·
Working now. Thanks.

Something else. My load speed is way down. It's just on WFF. So I know it's not my comp. or internet. Takes up to 10sec. to load a page. Is it Chrome?

#128 ·
Chris,
I've noticed the load times are slow as well both at work and home. Using IE.
Worse when looking at a thread and then going back to the "Whats New" page. It is fast to just click the "Whats New" tab again then to hit the back and wait for it to load.

Also, I had asked about this earlier but I know you've got lots on your plate with the new form.
Is there a way to add an "All" option at the end of the page numbers on multiple page threads such as this one? That way you can just scroll down and see all the posts within the thread without have to go to the next page, then the next page....

Thanks again for your work on the new forum format.

Thanks,
Brian

#131 ·
Chris, with all that you have to do, you probably don't need another request, so you can put this one on the back-burner, way back:

The mouse-over preview now opens only upwards, which means that if I put the mouse over the top thread on a page I'm looking at, the pop-up is invisible. It would be nice to have it like before, where the preview would either open below or above a thread based on where the mouse is on the page.

Thanks much,
[Redacted]

#134 ·
Chris,

One thing that I kind of miss from the old forums is having the location on display next to someone's posts. It's a pretty minor thing, but I like to see where people are from when they are talking about stuff. Particularly when you western Washington knuckleheads start talking about the "East side" and I get halfway through a thread before I figure out that for you're talking about Bellevue.

I realize I can click on a profile to see that info, but extra clicks is extra clicks, especially if I'm at work. Not that I would ever view this website from work. Nosir.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.