NFR Time For a New SUV

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by LCnSac, Jul 11, 2014.

1. plarsen111

plarsen111 Member

As someone who has owned two Subarus and 3 Toyotas, stick with Toyota over Subaru. Subaru is not a particularly bad brand, it is just that Toyota is a great brand.

I have to say, I don't understand selling your Toyota with only 180,000 imho. That is when I buy them :) Took my family to Yellowstone in a '97 Land Cruiser with over 300,000 mi. Sold that Land Cruiser with 330,000 miles to get into my current 2000 Land Cruiser with only 237,000 miles. Took a recent trip to a favorite fishing lake with family, camper and dog at 7,400 feet in elevation. And one of my other favorites was a 1986 Toyota Van that I sold with 375,000 mi.

Keep your Sequoia, and get a her a new fly rod. LOL!

2. plarsen111

plarsen111 Member

Interested. As I said in a previous post, that is the mileage at which I buy them.

3. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    If you're looking for features per dollar, Toyota loses every time. If it's features you're after, look at domestics or Hyundai. I tend to look at total cost of ownership, including resale and maintenance costs. My guess is Toyota is about the net cheapest vehicle on the road for those metrics. Factor in peace of mind and overall driver satisfaction and I don't think they can be beat overall.

I think another factor is they tend to drive the same at 150,000 miles as they did at 150 miles. I don't think most vehicles can live up to that. This will be my 8th Toyota, including the Lexus's.

Robert Engleheart likes this.
  4. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    This is not my decision, it's my wife's strong request. While I've managed risk for a living forever, she is the most risk averse person ever and wants something new for road trips. You know the rest. Happy wife=happy life.

5. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Just like to mention you might look into a chip for the motor if you buy Toyota. If you can work it into the sale when new they really improve any of the motors that are brand new.

Reviews from desert racers gave the Toyota v8 engine (with chip) by far the funnest and most awesome factory motor to drive off road, so it only goes to say on road would rock also!

Benefits =
    faster throttle
    better breathing
    more horse power
    many times better gas mileage

Many of the newer motors have restrained throttle bodies or injector pressures or "flaps" that will only open so fast and wont allow for faster fuel or air feed. Chips help with this and give the motor exactly what it needs to be "all it can be" A few years ago in driver or, off road magazine (can't remember which) the Toyota V8 trucks with chip, crushed all the competition in a pure fun to drive motor!

6. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

We bought a '98 Forester when they first came out, still have it. My wife bought a 2010 Forester for herself and loves it. The only complaint about the 98 was road noise. The 2010 is much quieter, great road trip vehicle. I've done a little un-official rallying with the 98 and it holds up just fine...:eek: ask McRowdy:D. We've plowed snow with the undercarriage and it keeps on going...great tough little vehicles. JMHO.

7. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    This will be a V6 (no more V8s for 4Runners) and for some reason I don't think we can use the chip here. Maybe it won't pass emissions, or maybe it voids the warranty, not sure. I looked into it a few years ago and that's what I remember.

Drifter likes this.
  8. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Well, I would go with the supercharger option then------HA/JK

9. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

You could just get an older 4runner and build your own. I know the trucks turn out very nice even with 412,000 miles on them, bought this one brand new and put all the miles on it! not to many places it wont tow my drifter. and a second motor of my choice! Just saying!!!

marks-truck-april-2014-a-med.jpg marks-truck-april-2014-b-med.jpg marks-truck-april-2014-c-med.jpg

constructeur and LCnSac like this.
  10. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    What a stud truck, Drifter. Love the lift and rims.

11. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Thanks, and next is the Toyota 3.4 V6 with supercharger putting out 310 horse's. I have the 3.0 V6 now - Balanced-ported and polished heads-bored 20 over-headers- 529 gears-computer jetted - the list goes on and the limit is the sky---;-)~

12. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    I'm not going to do what you did, but I am going to buy a semi-strippy (SR5 Premium to get the fake leather seats) and will add rims and tires and some kind of running boards that will punch up a plain jane white truck a little. I would lift it but I'm afraid the ride comfort for trips would be compromised.

Drifter, constructeur and Chawhee like this.
  13. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

We bought a 2013 Acadia. It has more ground clearance than my 1/2 ton GMC truck, the V6 has more power too. It also gets better gas mileage. Towed our trailer all the way to portland with a car topper and all the kids, we still got 17 mpg.

14. Chawhee

Chawhee Active Member

I know the new jeep is supposed to be the hotness. However, I usually wait atleast until the second year production model on radically changed/updated/new vehicles. Reason being you get a better feeling about quality from other owners and it gives the car company a chance to address issues. 4runner all the way. I don't like the front end of the limited edition but the sr5 looks great. Also check this out!! TRD PRO 4runner. Ugly color though.[​IMG]

Drifter likes this.
  15. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    Actually I love that color! They are offering this package for the Taco, T4R, and Tundra in 2015. There's no pricing on these yet, but the dealer offered to order one for me and then let me see if I like it. Again, I'm concerned about the ride with the knobby tires. I do like the design a lot though--the less plastic and chrome accents the better. Might look good in white too.

The T4R Limited has this huge chrome bar across the front. Hate it. The Trail has a cheap looking plastic bar too. The SR5 is solid color--my choice.

Chawhee likes this.