tippets whats best??

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Eric Denny, Sep 4, 2013.

1. DanielOcean

DanielOcean Steelhead Virgin

I really like Frog Hair.

2. chief

chief Active Member

The smallest tippet I carry is 5x, and I usually use 4x or larger for trout. I know there are places where 6x or 7x are commonly used, but have found that a good presentation is usually what matters. Except in really technical situations - hoppers not being one - you can get away with the bigger tippet diameter, and you can land and release them faster so less stress on the fish.

Builder, Kenneth Yong and Eric Denny like this.
  3. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I use Sci Anglers. Been using it for years. I've tried others but always come back to the first one. I fish mostly 5x, But I carry it all from 3x to7x.

4. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

NOW you guys tell me that leaders come in different sizes besides
    20# test.

BASS_TURDS likes this.
  5. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith DBA BozoKlown406

5x is usually good for dry flies up to size 14 for me. Any bigger and its 3/4x. I reserve 6x for fishing midges and spinner falls and the like. And in my opinion 7x-8x is pretty much useless most of the time, even with educated brown trout.

Mike Ediger likes this.
  6. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

Hoppers and other large flies can spin resulting in a twisted line. It usually happens at the end of the drift when the fly is dragging in the downstream current. If it happens more than once, I change flies. It seems some flies are tied so as to be unbalanced resulting in spinning under pressure.

I use 5x and 6x for trout and have been using Orvis tippet - mostly because I live close to their store and its convenient to stick with one brand so the spools connect to each other.

7. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Good point on sticking with one brand Steve. I use Rio and Orvis but the new Orvis nesting and free wheeling spools are the easiest to use that I have ever experienced. They simplify the often messy process of stripping off a new length of tippit without somehow making a rats nest of the adjoining sizes. Once the Rio is gone I'll use the Orvis Mirage and Super Strong exclusively.

Ive

Nooksack Mac likes this.
  8. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Eric -

It is extremely rare that you'll spook fish with tippets when you are fishing big flies. Go with the ratios others have suggested and you'll be fine. That said, I occasionally find myself fishing small flies on fine tippet only to switch to a large fly for some reason and not cut back the tippet and I'll have the problem you described. Some people never learn...

Dick

Kent Lufkin and Eric Denny like this.
  9. gabe0430

gabe0430 Banned or Parked

Orvis also sells the leader/tippet combo backs with 2 leaders and a spool of tippet for a real good price so I have been sticking with them exclusively...good stuff and save a few bucks.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  10. Eric Denny

Eric Denny Summer is over but I'm still fishing!!

Thanks Richard you have been a ton of help

11. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

Monofilaments are chemical compounds made with different formulations. Some, like Gladyl from the 1960's and Nylorfi from the 1970's were very kink-prone, and once they developed those little pigtails, I could never straighten them out. Maxima Ultragreen and Chamelion have minimal tendency to kink.

12. A.B. Langford

A.B. Langford New Member

If you really like the 5x 6x tippet and you are going to be fishing 10 and bigger hooks then Orvis Super Strong cannot be beat for this application.It will not twist up on you no matter how ugly the fly is tied and if you let your backcast stretch right out then you are in a land of perfection on presentation.

13. wichaka

wichaka Active Member

I use 5X for everything in the 10-14 hook range. For my 2 & 3 wt rods, I tend to go to 6x, but have used the 5x down to size 16 & 18 without any problems.

14. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

+1 on Maxima...Chameleon that is.

15. tkww

tkww Member

I do think tippet-to-size ratio is underlooked by most anglers. That said, I try to never go beyond 4x unless I have to. I find that the 4x/5x difference to be really big as far as kinks, knots (mostly getting knots out when they happen), turnover, etc. That isn't to say I that I don't use 5x and 6x. But only when I think I really have to. Some things would be easier on 3x, but I often just stick with 4x.

Big fan of Seaguar for fluorocarbon. Caught my share of spring creek fish on 6x seaguar fluoro. I'm a believer. For mono/nylon I've always had good luck with Umpqua. I almost always tie my own leaders and for most of the larger sections ( >.010) I use Maxima clear.