Today's Local News: What happens when a mine has a catastrophic failure into a large river?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jeremy Floyd, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

i am sure that mining company had paperwork for bankruptcy while the breach was happening... just like what happened on the East Fork Lewis.. and the gravel mine there... my guess is they get away scott free...

Now who can blame the tribe up on the Skeena for kicking those people out

2. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

3. Jeremy Floyd

Here is what was dumped into the effluent pond in the fiscal year 2013..

Mount Polley mine on-site disposal in 2013:
    • Arsenic (and its compounds): 406 tonnes
    • Lead (and its compounds) 177 tonnes
    • Nickel (and its compounds) 326 tonnes
    • Vanadium (except when in an alloy): 5,047 tonnes
    • Zinc (and its compounds): 2,169 tonnes
    • Cadmium (and its compounds): 6 tonnes
    • Cobalt (and its compounds): 475 tonnes
    • Phosphorus (total): 41,640 tonnes
    • Copper (and its compounds): 18,413 tonnes
    • Antimony (and its compounds) 14 tonnes
    • Manganese (and its compounds): 20,988 tonnes
    • Mercury (and its compounds): 3 tonnes
    • Selenium (and its compounds): 46 tonnes

4. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

Yummy !

5. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast free bird

Corporations do a pretty good job of containing their impacts...
    until they don't.

6. Dennis Thomas

Dennis Thomas Active Member

Yup. Look at the effects of the tremolite asbestos poisonings in Libby, MT due to the mine there. Over two hundred people dead and still counting in a population just over 2000. W.R. Grace and his board of thugs never were held accountable. Of course, he did the same thing in California years earlier when he dumped toxic chemicals into the river, killing and injuring hundreds of people in that town. Remember the movie, A Civil Action with John Travolta. Yep, that was W.R. Grace and his thugs at the source of that crime as well. So, the US taxpayers pay to clean up his superfund site and the cherry on top was when Grace charged the government to dump the toxic waste back into his closed mine. And, the prick still struts around in Libby like nothing ever happened.

7. psycho

psycho Active Member

The question needs to be asked. Why is he still strutting around? There must be a lot of people with reason to end the strutting.:cool:

8. Dennis Thomas

Now, that is where things start to get really interesting. I suspect a whole team of psychiatrists could spend the rest of their lives working on that scenario. The short version: After a local reporter at the Spokane newspaper caught wind that there was a cover up in Libby, and uncovered the poisonings going on in the community, the board of directors at the mine confessed that their exposure to the tremolite could be potentially fatal. Most of the miners, needing the work (sound like we have heard that before) made the decision to go on working despite the potential health effects (I am sure the board gave them all the facts). It wasn't until the miners found out that not only had their health been exposed but they had likely taken the poison home to their loved ones, did they stand up against the company and force the board to do something. Many of the locals (including some who lost loved ones) never blamed the company. They actually believe that it came with the hazards of the mining industry and that the benefits outweighed the hazards. So, Grace filed bankruptcy, kicked in some money to the local hospital for treating the affected and most of the town people turned their cheeks and went back to their day to day.

9. Alchemist

Alchemist Soaking Wet

Before you make any plans, you should know that W. R. Grace died in 1904, and probably never set foot in Libby, Montana. The W. R. Grace Company was a large multinational even in the 60s when it took over the Libby mines. To my knowledge, the last executive from the Grace family was J. Peter Grace, who while he may not have been everyone's cup of tea, died in the nineties. I do not dispute the negligent and possibly criminal actions of the W.R. Grace Company in Libby and elsewhere.

10. Dennis Thomas

Thanks for the information. Most of the Libby friends that I still have talk about Mr. Grace still having an office in downtown Libby.

11. SquatchinSince86

SquatchinSince86 Totally Unprofessional

Looks like a good recipe for trout-zilla. Or at least a dead fishery

12. Red Arch

Red Arch Active Member

Do you have any pictures of the impacts on fish?

Currently I know of tons of people freaking out, but unless I see proof of dead fish masses/other organisms affected, I am taking it as a "minor inconvenience" (relative to the grand scheme of course)

13. Jeremy Floyd

I take thousands of tons of heavy metals dumped into our watersheds as serious issues. I don't need to see the end of all life to be concerned about the negative impact that this situation can/may/might cause. I am not saying you are wrong in your way of thinking. I think it is nearsighted and naive, at best, but not necessarily wrong.

Evan Burck likes this.
  14. Red Arch

Red Arch Active Member

Hmm interesting.

Just a little background, I like to get all the facts and numbers straight before I come to a full conclusion. With what has been getting down here to the valley, there is no reason to believe anything except for a flood accident has happened in regards to fish health.

Trust me when I say I am more concerned about the sockeye that are going up the fraser. If they are unable to make it due to premature death, then the ecosystem is at risk due to a lack of nutrients.

Certainly not nearsighted, or naive (at least in my opinion)

15. Joe Goodfellow

Joe Goodfellow Active Member

Can you be any more dumb? Go away