Tribe Drift Netting Spawning Steelhead on the Hoh?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by JesseC, Apr 4, 2013.

1. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

The Hoh not being listed is also dumb... it will be in time with current practices.

For some, it's all about preaching conservation and saving the planet and species... until it limits their ability to fish or hunt (or reduces traffic and cash for businesses). Like many things in life you cannot have it all.

2. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

they get half the harvestable surplus and the river is open to fishing so....

they could close the sport fishery, half of nothing is zero

3. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Allocations are not based on our take, but the projected run size. Not having a season just means the tribes fish and we don't

Bob Triggs likes this.
  4. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Like James said, it is based on run size and it is kind of like water rights - use it or loose it. If we don't take our half, our unharvested portion becomes available for tribal harvest.​

5. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

I believe that has never actually been tested in court. The tribes may indeed win, but we have never pushed the legality of foregone opportunity. Of course, the idea of foregone opportunity was started by us when the tribes did not have the ability to harvest their half after Boldt.

Bob Triggs likes this.
  6. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

I sadly learned that this rule does not apply to steelhead. If we do not harvest our steelhead, there is NO legal recourse for us as the forgone opportunity only applied to food fish. :(

Bob Triggs likes this.
  7. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Best quote ever.

StarhopeLost21 likes this.
  8. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

I make it rain, make it rain, make it rain on them Hohs....... sorry, couldn't resist.

McNasty likes this.
  9. PT

PT Physhicist

A reliable source told me one of the ceremonial fishers pulled 37 fish this past week.

10. Jonathan Tachell

Jonathan Tachell Active Member

I can't say that really surprises me and that really sucks! So much for just ceremonial fishing I guess.

11. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

So...with your first sentence you condemn all WA TRIBES for the acts of a few individuals in one tribe who may in fact be acting legally? Nice work there! After all that heavy lifting you should take a break but with zealous fervor you continue with the suggestion that we should be willing to close all rivers to fishing? And in closing you accuse others who demonstrate to practice responsible C&R fishing of "sends the wrong message".

This post of yours that I quoted is the #1 reason why your message, no matter what intentions may be behind it, will not be taken seriously.

bennysbuddy likes this.
  12. freestoneangler

I know they are acting legally...that is the point...which I find ridiculous. I think the tribes could (should) take a much more aggressive position on this. Steelhead stocks have been in trouble for years, yet we (collectively) continue to stress them. Why is it so difficult for folks to opt out until stocks are well clear or danger? I love fishing for them as much as most of you, but have come to the conclusion that it is just not worth the risk.

I think it difficult to argue that if we all take the most conservative approach to saving these fish (by leaving them the hell alone) they'll have the best chance for survival. To argue otherwise means there is a personal agenda being sought; typically of the monetary or narcissistic variety.

I'm curious, if the tribes were willing to take a complete hands off, no fishing position, would you?

13. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

I have some pretty cool pictures of you holding a nice steelhead in December. What sort of illogical PETA shit have you been smoking since?! ;)

14. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Heavies...

Unfortunately buddy you don't know shit about what is or isn't happening on the coast unless you read about it on an Internet forum. Because the tribe claims they are fishing under a "ceremonial permit" doesn't mean much to me. It's all apart of the illusion that there are rules and that "someone" is watching. I don't buy it the whole process is poisoned and I KNOW that. I have emails in and phone calls waiting to be returned but I predict they all go unanswered. Until then maybe we should all stick to what we know and not chitter chat the BS on the internets. Call or email if you care and don't apologize. When they run you out of run with two sleds and drift nets on an unscheduled day they don't apologize either

JS, Jonathan Tachell and JesseCFowl like this.
  15. freestoneangler

Everyone knows the Bogachiel only has hatchery stock...both the clipped and un-clipped variety ;) All kidding aside, I'm OK with not fishing for them at all if it gives them the best chance of survival and hopefully rebuilding numbers.