Article Trout feel no pain.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by dcslick, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
    Oh man... LMAO!!!

2. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

Truth is I've hooked myself all over my face though not directly in my lip and it never hurt very much, felt a blow the fish doesn't feel but the hook goes in pretty easy, especially if you don't know it's coming. Pain has nothing to do with how fish fight, terror might though?

3. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

While this debate rages on for the next decade, I'm still curious why almost every photo you see of a caught fish appears to be looking downward as if trying to see what the hell that thing stuck in it's jaw looks like...which makes little sense since they already got a great look at it when they chomped it.

Dave Kaiserman and Kyle Smith like this.
  4. Chad Lewis

Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

Good point about fish looking down in photos. I was told a long time ago that a fish looking down is still "conscious". Fish in photos- or in your hands- that are looking straight out are either unconscious or dead. Looking down could be the equivalent to your eyes rolling back in your head from oxygen deprivation? Surely it's a purely neurological response to being taken out of the water.

For myself, I'm convinced that fish do not experience pain in any way that we'd recognize. And I'm convinced they don't experience anything like emotions at all. Pure instinct driven animals that have a small capacity to learn from experience and adapt to their environment. If I thought fish felt pain like us or could have an actual emotion my fishing days would be over. Folks are certainly entitled to their opinion of things though. Jacque Cousteau once called sport fishing an abomination....

And yes, I probably took this post way too seriously.

5. Porter

Porter Active Member

Someone named Chuck Norris is asking a simple question......What is pain?

Chad Lewis likes this.
  6. Codioos

Codioos Active Member

I love this question, especially when know-it-all's try to pin it to you.

Funny, I had a roomate like that. We all called him "Fish-hook", poor bastard.