Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

upper Yak

2K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Diehard 
#1 ·
Buffalo and I got skunked today on the upper Yak fishing off HW 10. Beautiful day made the skunking somewhat bearable. Saw a few other fellas on that stretch of river. Anyone else share our fate?

Cheers,

#3 ·
Had some success today (feb 22)

Yes, it was beautiful day. Got to about 45 degrees (air temp). The sun makes all the difference. A little breezy at times.

I got 5 today, about 13" - 15" like this one.

#5 ·

DLoop, I saw a guy fishing a hole I did about 30 min. earlier. If this was you, and you caught fish, I am jealous! Do you drive a green Jeep SUV?

Congrats!

Also, not sure of the water temp? Bank water was icing if that gives some indication?

#7 ·

I was up there today as well in a green Nissan pickup. The weather was great! I got up there around 12:30 and landed one with a few other hook ups. One of which was easily pushing 20" but broke me off :( . I was tossing a size 10 bloody mary. I also tried some blue wing olives but no takers...Maybe next weekend :)

#10 ·

I got skunked on teh Yak Friday. Just fished in the canyon for an hour or two. Threw some nymphs, lost a fish, switched to a streamer, nothing. Saw a huge fish jump in some frog water (didnt see what it was: carp, sucker, spring chinook?)

#11 ·

I caught two. The water was definitely cold. The first fish I caught on a size 8 double tungsten stone. It was a lethargic 17" that pulled hard and made me think that perhaps it was a whitefish, but the energy lasted and then I saw the colors. The second one was a fighting 18" that hit on a size 12 PT Emerger. I do not know where I got the pattern for this, but it is a new fly for me this year that I tied on one of our long dreary nights. The 18" hit on the second drift and pretty much destroyed the fly in the fight, so I tied up a few more last night.

Here is a picture of the 18".

#17 ·
My buddy and I fished in the canyon Saturday and did pretty well. We caught a bunch of whitefish, I landed 4 trout and he got in 7. We caught some on nymphs, but most came on olive streamers. That was our first time using streamers in the Yak, we decided to try them out after someone in the Evening Hatch told us about a 25" trout that was caught on one the day before. Thats a huge fish for the Yak. Can't wait for the trout to start taking more flies on top.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.