Waders

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Tacoma Red, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

I'd like advice and opinion if you please on getting a new pair of breathable waders. Although I'd just love to spend >>$500 it's just not really in my allowable fly fishing budget...unless I make secret installment payments!;)

What would you recommend and avoid, especially seam vs. non-seam? I understand layering but warmth is important.

Thanks much,
    TR

Bob Triggs likes this.
  2. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    I have heard good things about the new welded waders such as ones from Redington. I think Orvis makes something similar. Historically I have had great luck with my Cabelas Dri-Plus and Simms G3 though I just ordered a new pair of Redingtons to try for myself.

3. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

I've been quite happy with the Reddington Sonic Pros I picked up this past fall.

Eyejuggler likes this.
  4. I picked up last years sims free stones with welded seems for 250. Pacific fly fishers has some deal right now too Simms and Patagonia. I suggest buying last years models if u want a price break

5. AndreasJ

AndreasJ Member

6. Dan Nelson

Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Home Page:
    Actually, Redington is licensed to use Orvis' technology -- Orvis developed the sonic welding on waders technique. Their Silver Sonic waders are among the best I've used at a great price. I love their design on the convertible top. http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=5H5E

I also have come to love Patagonia's waders. They, too, do a great job on the convertible design (chest section folds away so you can wear the waders and waist-high pants). They cost a bit more, though, and they tend to have a more athletic cut.

Can't complain about Redington's offerings either -- I lke their zip-fronts as much as I like Simms' zip front even though the Redington's are half the price of the SImms. Also note that testers who handle women-specific gear for me swear Redington is the ONLY way to go for women's waders.

7. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

What Dan Nelson said re: Redington SonicPro's. I love my zipfronts! at a price 1/2 that of Simms and Redington's reputation for customer service, how can one consider any others.

8. bakerite

bakerite Active Member

On the budget side, my Albright waders (around 40 on one of their 80% off sales) have worked fine for over a year, no leaks yet.

9. Lue Taylor

Lue Taylor Lue Taylor/dbfly

Try Dan Bailey's waders Platte river fly shop has some $199 had mine for 5yrs no leaks repaired a few rips from bushwhacking

David Dalan, jwg and TwistedChimp like this.
  10. Achilles

Achilles Active Member

Waters West has gore tex simms on sale right now for $199... down from $300. Quite a steal.

11. Achilles

Achilles Active Member

I agree with this statement about the Patagonia waders. My father has had his for almost 5 years now and he puts them through their paces. Nice wader.

Dan Nelson likes this.
  12. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Home Page:
    Echo the sentiments for the Redington Sonic Pro zippers. Have had them for a year, no issues. And if there were a problem, Redington is close by and has great customer service.

aplTyler likes this.
  13. Siskiyoublues

Siskiyoublues Member

My new patagonia Rio Gallego's are leaking after less then ten trips. They'll probably take care of me but I'll be waderless for a month...!

14. i have had problems with every patagonias i have owned

Ben Swaner likes this.
  15. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

I've been wearing Redington Sonic Pros for about a year and a half. I really like them for comfort and fit.
    I had one issue with a seam, although they never leaked. As usual when needed, Redington provided great customer service.

My next pair will be the zipper fronts, as that is a feature that looks more appealing the older I get. ;)
    SF