Waders

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Tacoma Red, Jan 30, 2013.

1. surfnsully

surfnsully Active Member

Over the past 15 years I have had two pairs of Patagonia and one Bailey. All three have been solid but my Patagonian have lasted significantly longer and in the future if I can continue to buy last years models I will keep paying the price for a good wader.

2. snarlac

snarlac Member

Avoid simms - they still make all of their waders too slim for anyone over 100 pounds; you won't be able to layer underneath them; If you don't believe me, try some on with a polartec fleece such as you would wear in the fall/winter.

I've had several bailey's (lightweights) - these are nice and sloppy loose-fitting, I like the gravel-guard design unique to this brand, and the built in belt. The first set leaked like a sieve; the second set hasn't leaked in two seasons of heavy use. The bootfoot on the second set is sloppy large so you get folds of neoprene that are a bit uncomfortable (I'm medium, 9.5 shoe; the bootfoot is like size 12+).

I don't wear breathables in the cold. I wear neoprene; 3 mm Cabelas - full price ~$60, sometimes on sale for as low as $40. They last a very long time without leaking.

3. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Home Page:
    From over 40 years of experience, with just about every kind of wader you can name, and working as a guide in waders for almost 20 years, I am very happy to rely on Simms waders now. Made in America, Durable, Comfortable, best value buy for the money. I don't mind paying more when I get so much more. You are buying quality, durability, and the best customer service in the industry. And I have never had a problem with the sizing options or my ability to layer more beneath them in winter. In my opinion Simms tops them all.

4. Jeff Cheng

Jeff Cheng Jeff Cheng

I got an older model of Patagonia waders. Not sure the name but they work great. They were on discount since they were from last season. was more than half off and was just a bit more than the reddington's even though they retailed for double.

Personally i found that the Reddington's didnt fit me as well as the Patigonia ones did. The really nice Simms one also fit well but were well above my budget.

5. Brett Angel

Brett Angel Member

I bought a pair of Simms G4Z xxl king on the internet for 50% off retail this past year. Still pricey, but the quality is outstanding and not having to remove layers to take a leak is pretty damn sweet. Prior to these I'd always worn Baileys because of the fit, but haven't had the best of luck with them.

6. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

Just got my Sonic Pro zip-front returned from Redington; 13 days including shipping. A new pair to replace the ones I sent in with a leak at bottom of zipper. I think it was in the weld, not the zipper, but not positive. They had about 40 days use on them.
    Yellowstone Angler gave the Orvis a better rating than the Red's, but Orvis is not making them with the zipper yet.
    Given the service experience and the price, I'm sold on Redingtons.

7. snarlac

snarlac Member

In the State I live (California), there are 3 brands of breathable waders worn by 75% of fishermen, in this order; "adamsbuilt" (nee Hendrix); Redington, and Dan Bailey; the other 25% are a mix dominated by Simms, people who shiver in the winter because they can't layer in the thin legs of this brand, sweat like a pig in the summer because Simms "breathables" don't really breath, and they can't really kneel down because the seat is too tight.

At some point - when the "cool" factor of wearing a simms product that has the fit of tight jeans, wears off, and they lose more market share to its competitors, I believe Simms will come to its senses and revise the sizing.

Until then, my recommendation is to try the products on with normal fishing clothing, and decide for yourself.

8. Poff

Poff Member

I'm a fan of the G3 GUIDEā„¢ STOCKINGFOOT waders. They are about $450 MSRP, but are super dependable. A great company to interact with and they do have several custom options available as well.

9. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

Another plug for Dan Bailey's. If money is tight, go with the Bare Bones. If you can afford the Yellowstone Guide models, well worth the extra bucks. Service from Dan Bailey is supreme. You'll never go back to Simms

10. c1eddy

c1eddy Active Member

11. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

LOL, I have one but truthfully, it is not worth the hassle - plus the downside of not using it correctly can ruin your whole day!

12. c1eddy

c1eddy Active Member

I bet. And some think that there's nothing worse than leaky waders.....

13. rainbow

rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Home Page:
    Ha Ha, that the funnest shit.

Attached Files:

14. fly dds

fly dds Tooth and Tail

I just got some new Dryft waders, http://dryftfishing.com/waders/, and I love them. Give them a look, because I think they are a high quality alternative to the over priced Big names in waders.

Kristian

15. Brooks Werner

Brooks Werner Member

Try washing them. I have a pair of Patagonia's that I love. Was tired of replacing waders with a 1 year warranty every 13 months or so. Use a cleaner that is designed specifically for breathable clothes like GoreTex or eVent fabrics, use a DWR rejuvenator, and dry them in the dryer WITH heat! I wash mine fairly often, especially after fishing the salt. You can tell they need washing because you'll start seeing water absorbing into the material. I use Nikwax Tech Wash to wash them, then use Nikwax Tx.Direct that reapplies a DWR coating to them. Then throw them in the dryer on medium heat. I do all this without turning them inside out, and finish by hanging them inside out to finish drying the booties (the fuzzy inside takes longer to dry). Lots of people don't realize that these breathable fabrics loose their water repelling abilities when they get dirty. And they absolutely need to be dried with heat. It actually 'reactivates' the fabric. Check out GoreTex.com, they suggest the above directions too.

Plus, with the Patagonia's they have a lifetime warranty. Granted it doesn't cover misuse or normal wear and tear, but as others have mentioned they are very liberal with it. Hope this helps-