Waiting for the BIG Coho...

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by dryflylarry, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

We aren't talking pounds. We are talking ounces here. The difference would be in the action of the rod and the adjustments one has to make for the heavier weight line. Given properly balanced outfits, there should be little or no difference. But who cares, anyway? Go fishing.

2. SeaRun Fanatic

SeaRun Fanatic Member

Bingo! 8 wt with 10-12# tippet and horse 'em. IMO, if fish are getting into backing more than verrry infrequently, you're dishing too light!

3. SciGuy

SciGuy Active Member

DFL, is this what you're looking for?

[​IMG]

4. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Well..........!! If that's a coho, that's a beast!! Hell yes! :eek:

5. SciGuy

SciGuy Active Member

What you describe is very close to what I'm running most of the times these days: 7 weight 9'6" Sage One with a 8 weight full length RIO Outbound. The One isn't overloaded with the 8 weight One and it is light enough for 3 straight hours of casting without wearing out my arm. It also has enough power for the ocean Coho I've encountered this year and a couple of 16+ pound Kings as well as enough bend to maintain tension when Coho do their head shake freak out routine. I'm not sure if an extra 6 inches would help or not.

6. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

It's not what you'd expect, but the longer rod doesn't give you more fighting (lifting) power, though the extra length affects your cast positively, and eases the shock on your tippet. To understand this, think of lifting a bucket with a broomstick handle. First hold it a foot from the weight, then try it further back. The longer the shaft, the less lifting power you get. I didn't understand this when I was first told it, but it explains why heavy rods have a foregrip.

I have the One in a 9' for a seven weight. It wouldn't cast as far as yours, but it has more leverage on a fish. It works better for me with an 8 wt line also.

7. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

a 6wt. is just fine for almost any sized coho. my largest hatchery fish (the only ones that got weighed on my boat) was landed quickly on a 6wt. the main reason i fish an 8 for coho is the lines i cast from a boat, not because i needed the extra ummph in fighting them. if i beach fished for coho i would fish a 6wt with zero hesitation, unless i needed to throw larger flies or poppers.

i think we often forget that we match the rod to the size of flies we throw as well as the size of the fish.

if you have any experience fighting fish a 6 wt will work fine... if you have zero experience an 8 wt isn't gonna help that much.

Jonathan Tachell and dryflylarry like this.
  8. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

Caught my first 8# PS coho three weeks ago (a nice hatchery resident fish). Have also caught several ocean coho (orange instead of red flesh) up to 7#s. They are clearly larger than last year and am starting of hearing of more larger fish.

Fished the mouth of the Columbia last week for several days and with gear managed several coho in the middle teens (average was ~ 8 # and the largest hatchery was 15#). There was a fish in the upper teens checked at Everett over the weekend. While large coho can be found almost anywhere in Puget Sound the Snohomish fish seem to have a larger portion of large fish that most of the PS basins

Rod length and weights are more a matter of conditions being fished and the angler's comfort in handling fish that can reach into the middle teens (or beyond).

Curt

9. SciGuy

SciGuy Active Member

Bingo

10. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

I heard this "orange vs red flesh" (ocean vs resident respectively) for the first time this weekend and was wondering if there was truth to it. So that is a common way to know if the fish is a rezzie or an ocean fish? By the color of their flesh?

This weekend I caught a 6-6.5 lb fish that I would have called an "ocean coho" based on its size/shape/look alone, and a 4.5 lb fish that I would have assumed was a rezzie. After hearing about the flesh color tip and cleaning the fish I discovered the small one had orange flesh and the big one had the very red flesh like the fish I caught earlier in the season so I guess my assumption was wrong!

Thinking back to last year, I remember wondering why the bigger fish I caught tended to have more orange flesh and now I guesI know why.

11. Jonathan Tachell

Jonathan Tachell Active Member

You can usually tell by the scales too. The mature ocean fish that you catch usually have large set scales versus the small ones that easily come off.

12. DKL

DKL Nude to the board

Interesting. The coho I got Sunday had the flesh and scales you two mention. I had not encountered it before and thought the fish was a little different. Was a hog for its length too. However, even though it had the orange flesh and the tougher scales, it was a fin clipped hatchery fish. Are all of the hatchery coho resident, or do some go out to sea as well?

DKL

13. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Hatchery fish go out to sea as long as they aren't the late release resident fish.

14. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

The majority of both hatchery and wild coho smolts head to the ocean to feed but some of both hatchery and wild fish do most of their feeding locally (Puget Sound and eastern Straits) and are sometimes referred to as resident fish. Those fish that do stay local feeding heavily on euphausids, krill, crab spawn, etc. well into the summer. This accounts for their red flesh and excellent table fare. The resident and ocean going fish are part of the same genetic populations (hatchery and wild). The two groups also mature and spawn at approximately the same time though after a year of intense fishing relatively few resident fish survive to reach the spawning grounds.

While the early summer resident fish will have loose scales and generally be immature fish by this time of the year the maturity and scale conditions of both the ocean and resident fish will be similar.

curt

Denny, plaegreid and mtskibum16 like this.
  15. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Good info! The larger resident I caught last weekend did have large set scales which further led me to believe it was an ocean fish at the time.