Wanapum Dam in Trouble???

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by cmann886, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

FSA,

When plans were made, prior to 1959, Wanapum seemed like the best site because of the basalt bedrock under the river at that point. Why geologists thought the bedrock on or near a fault would never move is way beyond my expertise, not to mention, pay grade.

This is getting complicated and involving pool elevations at upstream dams, which then involves fish passage facilities at those dams. The Wanapum draw down means the entrance to the Rock Island fish ladder is out of water. I keep learning more - there must be a ton of investigators looking into this - and it's not getting better from an electrical energy or fish passage perspective.

Sg

2. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    There have been three official news/press releases since this has been announced. Another one was announced today. You can find them in the link below.

http://www.grantpud.org/your-pud/media-room/news

I wonder if it is too early to look for another job yet?

3. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Never too early to look BDD.

4. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:

Problem is I really like my work and my supervisor. ;)

I might have to take boat sales to the next level. Maybe we can give Dave Scadden a run for his money? :cool:

5. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

BDD,

The next level you might have to take boat sales to is "High Water Boats R Us."

Sg

Freestone likes this.
  6. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

It moved back upstream an inch!? I can see it stop moving, but how does taking pressure off make it move back?

troutpocket likes this.
  7. Ron McNeal

Ron McNeal Life's good!

Sg wrote, "but Grant's reputation for having the lowest electric rates in the nation may be at risk."

Would someone in the know kindly post the current Grant County residential rates? I'm must curious....

8. Vladimir Steblina

Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Home Page:
    The statement is false. They have the third lowest rates in the nation.

These are estimates from my memory....but they are in the ball park.

Douglas County is at .020 per kilo-watt/ hour.

Chelan County is at .027 per kilo-watt/ hour. That number comes from the power bill.

Grant County is at .045 per kilo-watt/hour!!!! That ain't cheap!!!!

Grant County has the best and cheapest fiber broadband with 100/100 Mbps for $39.99/month unbundled. Douglas is I believe at $49.99/ month for 100/100 Mbps, while Chelan is the most expensive at $59.99/month.

They might have to raise both electric and broadband rates. Also a significant chunk of their energy goes to Portland. Not sure how that contract reads.....it might mean a significant raise for Portland and other west-side communities that buy Grant County power.

9. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Sorry Vlad, I thought Grant was the lowest. BTW, 0.045/kwh is still cheap. PSE here on the west side is 0.10/kwh, and they buy their power from Grant, Chelan, and Douglas. You're right, if repairs are expensive and rate increases are necessary, Grant will pass more of that onto its buyers than to its local customers.

Trip, it's beyond me, but think of a tree that bends with wind pressure, and the wind stops blowing and the tree stands straight again. Some weakness occurred in the dam base or its bedrock foundation, and that weakness allowed movement. Removing the vast tonnage of water pressure allowed it to move back a bit and partially close the crack.

Sg

10. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Think of a loose tooth. Not really anchored anymore.

11. dp

dp ~El Pescador

how did OMJ's butt get into this conversation?
    sorry - couldn't help it.
    carry on

Kent Lufkin and Ed Call like this.
  12. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    I recall there was a power company back on the east coast that had rates in the top 5 but don't recall who or what source of energy it was. Grant has been historically very low, within the top 2 until their relicensing came up a few years ago and there was a lot of money spent on that endeavor. Douglas with their lone dam at Wells is always right up their with the least expensive rates in the country.

By reducing flows, the crack has decreased, which is good news but it remains a very serious issue. Plans for adult and juvenile passage are being presented and evaluated. I got a call today from a person asking about mussel relocation efforts. I told her I'd love to help but was too busy keeping my finger in the crack, helping to plug the hole. :D

Regarding Sg's comments about selling boats for high water emergency use, I was thinking the exact opposite today while driving by and looking at all the people wandering around. With all the boat launches essentially useless to larger craft, a light weight pontoon boat would be perfect to drag out.

13. suckegg

suckegg Active Member

"By reducing flows, the crack has decreased, which is good news but it remains a very serious issue."

..so the dam is actively flexing with pressure?

I think my confidence level just dropped..

Freestone likes this.
  14. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:

So I take it you don't want to run down there and fish some pre-spawn bass?

Freestone likes this.
  15. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

I assume there is a nest of reenforcing steel inside the concrete. Perhaps the crack is large enough that that mesh of steel is holding things together, but flexing under the pressure?

In any event, I think the movement it probably not a very good thing. Assuming there has probably been water infiltration for some time prior to the discovery of this crack (crack there, nobody saw it), the reenforcing steel could be be in bad shape.