Wear Sunscreen!!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by dryflylarry, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    Thanks for bringing this up, Larry. I need to go in and get a bunch of new "precancerous" spots norched off. Last summer's and this year's. They weren't there before.
    My lips probably need the same treatment yours are getting. they feel tender nearly all the time now.

Even the best SPF 100 waterproof sunscreen that money can buy is only good for less than 2 hours while surfing or swimming. I've been joking that I am the "sheik of the soggy sands" here, since I've been wearing a flats cap with a sun veil in the back, and always long sleeves.

I always wear my hood and gloves when surfing, even on hot days when the water is in the higher temp ranges. I'd rather parboil than fry.

I am now in the very highest risk category for skin cancer. I have all the qualifications. Fair skinned, and I freckle easily. My parents let me get severely sunburned on a vacation to the Russian River when I was only 4 years old. I had huge second degree sunburn blisters on my shoulders. The doctor at the clinic in Guerneville (sp?) told my parents that it was easily the worst case of sunburn he'd ever seen. He even gave 'em a bit of a scolding about it.

Then, after we moved to Honolulu when I was 16, I was taking tetracycline (broad spectrum antibiotic) regularly for nearly 3 years. That was prescribed by the dermatologist I went to for my bad acne. One problem with that, is it makes one much more susceptible to sunburn, and I was a surfer and beach goer.

The sunscreens we had back then weren't all that effective, but we thought they were working, so my surfing buddies and school chums and I stayed out in the sun much longer than we should have. My lips got burned all the time. My entire face, too. Zinc oxide would easily get smeared off, and its messiness deterred us from using it.
    I started using a sunscreen called PreSun. I think it was nearly worthless, due to the ineffective ingredients in it at the time (late 60's and the 70's) and using it did more harm than good, since we thought it was working.

I'll have to pay cash out of my own pocket for this, on the "easy payment plan" as I haven't been able to find any medical insurance cheap enough that I can afford the monthly payments. The cheapest quotations I've been given are over $350/month.
    My one visit to the dermatology clinic to get a "cutaneous horn" removed from my face (Office visit totaled 15 minutes, procedure took about a minute, total) cost me over $500 by the time the lab fee kicked in. If I only have to do that a couple of times a year, I'm still miles ahead of making insurance payments.

So you young folks listen to Larry and me. We ain't blowin' hot air here. Maybe you can avoid this type of thing in later years.

I had a good surf session this evening, from 5:45 pm until about 7pm. I slathered my face with SPF 45 about a half hour before I went out. It was overcast and drizzling, but I still needed it.

dryflylarry likes this.
  2. Jim Wallace

Good luck with your treatment program, Larry, and thanks again for posting.:cool: I am starting to wear my wrap-around polarized Cocoons over my regular eyeglasses more often now, too.

3. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Hey Jim, I only pay 18 bucks for my medical and my prescriptions are free. If I go over $2700 a year, I have to pay for them. But the amount of pills I take I won't hit that amount.

The State of Montana has it's own old person health insurance.

4. NCL

NCL Active Member

Larry,
    Good luck with the treatment, hope it goes smoothly.

dryflylarry likes this.
  5. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Best of luck buddy, I was sorry to hear this. Something we all need to keep in mind, and take the necessary precautions. I'm not the best at remembering these things either, but I need start....

dryflylarry likes this.
  6. martyg

martyg Active Member

I second the UV Buffs. For some reason sunscreens - the taste, smell, residue - just bothers me. The Buffs have worked great for me.

Jim Wallace and Kent Lufkin like this.
  7. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

My bride pointed out an interesting article the other day that most people that use sunscreen don't use nearly enough. So the protection they 'think' they're receiving is marginal at best. The article says that a family of four should go though an entire bottle of sunscreen over a weekend. Sheesh, and I thought applying a little dab the size of a nickel was adequate.

K

8. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I have always figured that if you are going to get cancer of any kind that you will get it no matter what precautions you take. It is in you, what it takes to trigger it is something they don't know.

I go out in the sun with just some body lotion and bug spray. I'm still here.

9. DanielOcean

DanielOcean Steelhead Virgin

Well I guess we all would like to be a little optimistic about illnesses and stuff.

10. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Why worry about the little things. When it's your time to go there is nothing you can do to prevent it.

11. DanielOcean

DanielOcean Steelhead Virgin

Hey I am still young. It better not be my time soon.

12. Trustfunder

Trustfunder Active Member

Agree with Old Man, a recent eulogy essentially said... Live like no tomorrow, and when shit hits the fan let the doctor worry about it, that's why you pay them.

13. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

My preferred demise is to be shot by a jealous husband at age 95.

14. Jim Wallace

They recommend at least two tablespoon (or maybe it was two oz), or a "golf ball sized glob" as the minimum amount to apply. When I'm surfing, I don't need that much just for my exposed face. My surf sessions are less than 2 hours, and I re-apply afterwards.
    Since I don't usually wear gloves when paddling my Yak or U-12, or fishing in a boat, I apply waterproof sunscreen liberally to the backs of my hands and wrists (wearing long sleeves), and let it soak in and dry. then I carefully wash my palms and fingers so that the smell from the residue doesn't get on my flies or fishing gear and put off any fish. Of course, my face and neck get slathered up, too when I'm paddling, but I'm going to invest in a couple of UV buffs since I hate applying gobs of chemicals several times a week.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  15. Jim Wallace

Hey Old Man, I'll probably be required to purchase insurance starting in 2014 under Obamacare, or else pay a penalty. It might be worth it to pay the penalty and not buy the insurance, and hold off until I get on Medicare. I'll have to do the math on that one, once I have the figures.