Weird Things on the River

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Coach Duff, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

That's pretty interesting. Were you able to retrieve your line and fly without damage?

K

2. Snake

Snake tryin' not to get too comfortable

Lost the fly and tippet, but the fly line peeled out of the ice okay. I had cleaned and dressed my line right before the trip, maybe that helped? :confused:

And just to clarify: That's one of the craziest things I've ever seen that didn't involve humans, drugs, or guns.:eek:

3. fishintom

fishintom Member

alright, I used to have a great picture of this however it was lost when i dropped my old cell phone in the river.....so anyways, i'm swinging for steelhead on a pretty well known run on the snoqualmie...I swing my fly next to the bank when all of a sudden it stops....FISH ON!!!...I set the hook and this is the deadest steelhead I have ever stuck....no run, no nothing....what the hell is this....so i keep reeling and see this blue shimmer coming towards me in the water...WTF :confused: finally as the "fish" gets closer to the bank I am made privy to it's identity......all I have to say is that after catching this I will probably never be surprised at anything I catch or hook in that river....second is that it was succesfully caught and released, and no, I didn't touch it with my hands......here is a pic of something similar without a purple egg sucking leech stuck in the tip...... no joke...

4. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Home Page:
    Snake, that really is amazing, I'm gonna have to try that sometime on a smaller scale when it gets cold around here. Approx how long did it take for the whole lake to freeze?

Peace,
    Andy

5. windtickler

windtickler Member

One day I walked up to this little lake behind my house that has a coupla docks on it. We walked out to this one dock, off the road and there is this naked guy there, with all of his clothes neatly folded. Weird we think. He takes off and we walk to the lake edge where in the middle of the woods is this tree with all of these memorial plaques on it comemorating the people from this one family who have died over the years. I really need to go get a picture of that thing. I mean, it's in the middle of nothing. So then my friend Cracker is tying on and I see this sea monster in the lake, undulating like pictures of 'Nessie. I'm going, this is not happening. But it just went on and on. After a while I realize it's two otters chasing each other around. After frothing the water for a while, we figure that the otters probably cleaned the lake out. So we take the logging road out. Part way down we hear a single pistol shot from the lake. I was thinking, maybe that naked guy went up to that Memorial tree and offed himself and thought we should go back. My friend was fresh from the Gulf and said "I've seen enough dead people," so we kept on. I went back later and couldn't find the clothes so I figure the guy maybe just died from embarassment.

6. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Early morning heading to the Ford below the lower dam. Two of my buddies are sad to see a rig parked down next to the creek. This was 10 to 15 years ago. As they drive down 2 guys come up from the creek toward the rig. So they park and get out and as they do my buddy all of a sudden has to take a dump. The 2 guys start over to talk about fishing and my buddy says to the other hey keep talking to them while I go over and take a dump behind some sage brush. My one buddy looks in horror and asks "YOU CAN'T FRIGGIN WAIT" NOPE !! So he talks to them about fishing and all of a sudden the dumper comes out and introduces himself and joins the conversation. All of a sudden one of the guys jumps up yelling "WHAT THE F**K !!" My 2 buddies look down and see that the wind has blown the shit paper 50 yards around the sage under the truck and around the leg of the guy. End of fishing conversation !!!

7. Coach Duff

Coach Duff Banned or Parked

I'm at Echo Lake behind out by Home Depot in one of those donut flloat tubes that we all owned. This is about 10 years ago, maybe a little less. I'm catching some rainbows, the monster of the night a 16 incher. Everything is very clear to me. This naked woman walks out of her lower porch (one of those two level basements) that sits right on the lake. So this woman walks out naked and drags a canoe from her yard and starts to paddle out. I'm the only person on the lake, just me my tube and a few olive willies. That and 15-18 feet of 6X flourocarbon, William Survey, Kevin Stubbs and I had a little system down back then especially in planter lakes. We were having 50 and 60 fish nights in ditches that supposedly had no fish. So this attractive woman paddles out in the middle of the lake sobbing uncontrollably and tips the canoe over herself. She makes no attempt to swim at all. My worst nightmare has been realized. She's trying to drown herself! Not to be callous, but like any angler worth his salt, my first worry is my Sage SP and reel. I've got to get out of this donut, secure my rod and then go be Sgt. America. Believe it or not, we used Force Fins in Force Recon for surface swimming, and I kept mine. So, I flop out of my donut, and guess what? My fins are stuck in the holes and I am upside down. Only a genuius of my intellect can pull off a manuver this stupid. It was "go" time and now I'm upside down and remembering my dry suit training with the Norweigen Special Forces in the North Atlantic. An air bubble not burped out could leave you upside down while the fellas got a good laugh at your expense. Thank God I had the Force Fins on, somehow after what seemed like 45 seconds or so, I got my feet through with the fins on. I set my rod and reel across the top and let it sail, hopefully to shore. Now the issue of the naked crazy woman trying to drown herself. No embellishing here boys. I didn't jack around one bit. I went under, grabbed her ankles and twisted as hard as I could. I could hear her scream. Then I had her in rescue stroke and told her if she fought me the least bit I would drown her myself. I know boys, it doens't make a whole lot of sense that a woman who was trying to drown herself was suddenly afraid of me drowning her, but who cares, Sgt. America was bringing in the precious cargo. I yelled "call 911" in the general direction of an open patio door 3 or 4 times as I got ready to pull off my circus donut flip. Seattle's finest were waiting for us as we pulled in the last 20 feet or so. By that time she is limp in my arms and just sobbing like a baby. I got a high five from the cop and hugs from her kids (4 of them) who were outside now in a panic. She wasn't a bad lady, just had a few too many and husband was never there for her. (Probably a steelheader I thought). Soon neighbors and friends joined the scene and I knew it was time to take my donut and run. As I threw it in the back of the Hunter Green Bronco I had micro-beers at the Mecca on my mind. This kid about 7 or 8 ran up and yelled at me, "My parents said your're a hero mister!" "No kid, I'm no hero, The guy that tied this fly is a hero. It's named after his son William. It's got magic in it." I stuck an Olive Willie in the brim of his hat, messed up his hair, put his hat back on him, climbed into my rig and slammed the Bronco into 1st gear. "Yea, something unfiltered with a lemon might do the trick tonight." I never fished Echo Lake again. I hope she's okay. I really do. I hope even more William Survey is happy and knows peace in his soul. A toast to you William, a toast to you.

True story Tight lines boys, tight lines. Coach :beer2:

8. Lex

Lex Active Member

Thanks Coach, you made my night after putting the kids to bed. With a separation going on (not a bad one my friends) i need a mental vacation like that besides the good old standbys.:cool: :beer1:

Snake. Facinating, you witnessed super-cooled water.. did you know that super-cooled water initiated the the break in the ice dam that blocked glacial lake Missoula during the last ice-age? This caused the cataclysmic flood(s) 800ft thick that carved out the Scablands, left enormous boulders(of a forein geology near Missoula) and made Dry Falls, etc.. in eastern WA. I would love to experiment with supercooled water, as you inadvertantly did.

Burnham - F'n hillarious. I have to try and remember this one for the campfire this weekend at the Yakima with the guys.

Windtickler and Gris: apology accepted. We are all brothers and sisters here.

9. windtickler

windtickler Member

pffffft!

10. Heyteach

Heyteach Banned or Parked

Damn, I say a couple things about fat steelhead and virgins in heaven and a chick and I get kicked off, again. You guys talk about naked women and lesbians and its all good.

11. Snake

It's not just the content, it's the substance and style.

12. windtickler

windtickler Member

Now that is funny.

13. Heyteach

Heyteach Banned or Parked

Good point!! I'll work on it. There is some quality writing in this thread.

14. Snake

My best estimation is the ice spread out at a rate of about a foot per second. It was just a smallish rock pool up in a glacier cirque, maybe 60 feet across at the widest spot, just above timberline. Less than a minute from the time my fly hit until it was covered with a sheet of 1/8 inch-thick ice. Completely sci-fi.

It was a total long shot to have all the right conditions to see a snap freeze like that (rapidly cooled, very pure water that hadn't been disturbed until that moment). I looked up a bunch of stuff about freezing super-cooled water the next week, and even with controlled lab conditions it's hard to consistently replicate the effect. I was happy to find out I wasn't hallucinating, though!

In that same area, on another trip, I heard some animals (large!) in the brush near camp. There's griz up in the Selkirks (not many), so I got a little nervous. Out of the woods comes these deer/elk-like creatures, with antlers like I'd never seen. Turns out they were Woodland Caribou. Three of them walked through my camp, totally unafraid. Almost extinct, maybe 20-30 of them left in the lower 48, all in the Selkirks. A wildlife biologist I know calls them "mythical ghosts".

After I found that out, I felt lucky to have seen them, and that was the only time I saw them in twelve years of tramping around in those mountains. But this is the weird thing:

They all had leather collars on, with radio trackers. They were like big hunting dogs. I kept wanting to yell "fetch!".

Well, maybe not so much 'weird', but definitely incongruous.

15. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Home Page:
    Snake that is amazing.

I love that the Wilderness has the power to instill shock and awe in a highly educated, even jaded human. Nothing compares.