Welcome / Introductions

Discussion in 'New Features, Site News, Issues Info.' started by Chris Scoones, Dec 21, 2005.

1. BP97211

BP97211 New Member

Hello all--

My name is Brian. I spend a lot of time on Westfly.com, as it seems more directed toward the Oregon angler--where I am now located. I was born in Seattle, and grew up in Issaquah. I was raised trolling the Sound 'round Deadman's Island with my dad using a plug herring for Salmon, and wasn't turned on to fly-fishing until 1994 at my Uncle's cabin on Wallowa Lake. Since then, my fly rods have followed me wherever I've gone: my last years at PLU, a short stint in Sacramento fishing the American River for Shad, to Germany where I fished in Denmark for Sea Trout, to law school on the east coast where I fished the Shenandoahs for brookies, to a stint in DC where I never dared to fish the Potamac, and now back to Oregon where I fish the rivers within a days drive of Portland for steelhead, SRCs, and redsides on the D, and usually a summer trip to Joseph to fish NEO. Of all my fishing, I enjoy most fishing at our family cabin with my cousin on the Sound for SRC in late summer at low tide--it's a tradition that I'm sure my cousin and I hope to pass on to his two little ones, and now my little one, born just days after Christmas this past year. I've just recently ventured into the world of speycasting, as this seems to be the here-now, here-to stay, and future of a lot of PNW fly angling. I'm looking forward to fishing the spey on the wide runs in rivers near Portland, and the D; I'm also looking to learn more about--or develop it if it hasn't been developed--a practical way to apply the two-handed rod to our fishing situation at our cabin: 18-23" SRCs, fished at the negative tide, requiring 100+ ft casts, and plenty of stripping. As I plan on spending more time exploring my home State, I look forward to learning & sharing with the folks on the Board.

2. jrkenney2001

jrkenney2001 Lets do this!

Whats up everyone!

New to the Forum and Flyfishing actually. I used to mess around a little while I was younger, but then I joined the army and didn't have much time to fish. I just recently got out of the army after 8 years and now live in Lynnwood. Just went flyfishing the last week before the river season opened. Now i'm hooked on flyfishing and I can't go to Skykomish where I went a couple of weeks ago!

3. Shensler

Shensler New Member

Nice site w/lots of good info.

I moved to the area from upstate New York where most of my fishing time was spent on the Susquehanna River (small mouth, carp, pike/muskie), small creeks in the Finger Lakes region, and some time on the Beaverkill and the upper Deleware. I also lived in the Midwest for a few years and loved fishing the driftless areas in Wisconsin just west of Madison (Black Earth Creek, Timber Coulee, and Kickapoo Creek).

One thing my resume is missing is STEELHEAD and SALMON. I don't know anything about either of these fishing techniques, but it's all anyone talks about. I'm excited about learning to fish for salmonids (sp?), but am also worried about missing out on good trout fishing on small creeks. I have bought a couple of books, but everything is geared around salmon. Any help?

Steve

4. Drag-Free Drift

Drag-Free Drift Member

Hello All,

I've been reading this board and using the excellent ideas that I've gleaned from it for several months now. Heck, I've even contributed a few posts, so I figured it's about time I introduced myself.

I was born at the end of WWII, and although I've been hooked on fishing since I was about eight and even somehow used flies with the old cane spinning rod I had as a kid, I didn't start flyfishing seriously until about 1970 when I was stationed in California with the army. Neither my dad nor any other male relative of mine fished, so I was pretty well self-taught at first. I read everything I could on the subjects of flyfishing and flytying, talked to other flyfishers I met on rivers, did a lot of trial and error learning, and eventually became at least minimally proficient. Sometimes this learning process was frustrating, but the tenacity of fly-caught jack chinook from the Eel and the unbelievable beauty and strength of my first steelhead, from the lagoon at the mouth of the Little Sur, made me commit to a life-long relationship with flyfishing for anadromous fish.

After retiring from the army, I returned to school to beef up my credentials and then started teaching in public schools, a profession that gave me time to finally fish summers in Alaska and the Yukon. I love the wilderness and space that still exists there, having made at least ten trips to various parts of that region, some lasting as long as two months, and I'll probably go back up there again this year. The thing about teaching, though, was that I had very little time to fish other than during the summer. With as many as 180 students some years, much of my "spare time" time was spent grading papers, preparing for classes, contacting parents, taking continuing ed classes, and so on, making more than a few weekend fishing trips almost impossible.

In the fall of 2004, I retired for the second time and for good, determined to catch up on the local fishing scene, tie more flies, and build some more rods now that I had the time. Well, there is a not-unwelcomed fly in the ointment: my children now have their own children, including a set of twins, so, although I hadn't counted on it, I now do a great deal more babysitting than I ever thought I would. This cuts into fishing time, at least until the grandkids are old enough to come with me to the rivers and lakes and have been trained up a bit. It certainly is nice being sometimes able to fish during the week, though; as I had predicated you do get away from the crowds, but not as much as I had thought. I'm finding that there is quite a crowd of old codgers like me out there with the same idea.

I am especially interested in honing my trout fishing skills on rivers like the Yakima and the Cedar, both of which I have yet to fish, and on learning to flyfish the salt effectively, something I have done very little of to date. I'm confident that this board will continue to inspire me and educate me. I'm very glad I have found a place peopled by such unselfish folks who seem so very willing to help others learn the many intricacies of our wonderful sport.

--Roy

5. custodyboss

custodyboss New Member

Hiya, I am Matt. I just found this site and I am getting aquainted. I am a life long resident of Washington, I have tied my own and built rods for over 20 yrs. I had and uncle that worked for Herters way back teach me as a kid. I work for the County Sheriff's office in the County Jail. I am a huge fan of taking my Jeep to remote small streams and working my fav 2 weight.

waiting for spring.............

6. catdaddy027

catdaddy027 Banned or Parked

Hi everybody...

My name is Chris Montgomery and have been checking out the forum for a while...I've never posted until tonight and just observed from the sidelines so to speak..I'm relatively new to the north-west, having been raised in western CO and western TX. Fly fishing was something my father and I did as a novelty between meat fishing expiditions (he fed his family on trout while in college), but a part of growing up that I have come to cherish. I still love the taste of a freshly grilled cut-throat but have adopted the catch and release spirit...Been strictly fly fishing since the early 90's... catch and release where regulated and never keep more than I can eat or provide that day. I find no greater satisfaction than that of catching and eating a noble trout on a dry fly. I went on a steelhead fishing trip in New York last year and was really turned off to the idea of pissing a fish off to bite my fly, it didn't stop me from hooking a few on the trip, but turned me off to pursuing the fish here. I love casting a dry and watching a trout rise to it...There is something cathartic and mycstical about the process. I would love to meet some of the interesting characters that post on this board and look forward to encounters on the rivers.

7. Bead Head

Bead Head New Member

Hi everybody.
    My name is Felipe and I live in North Vancouver BC. I've been fly fishing for about a year now and the only thing I find more addictive than fishing is fly tying. :p

8. timirish

timirish New Member

Stehekin is home for now.
    In 1983 I walked into a certain flyfishing store in bellevue and told them I was guiding on the Yakima. They said no one would pay money to fish that river and I was laughed out of the place. I set out to proove them wrong. I had help from some others specifically Warren and Jim and the Yakima River Alliance and we changed the management of that river and I did hundreds of lectures, shows, writings, a video still in print, and even a show on ESPN. I see some of you on this site enjoy that fishery now and you do know that I prooved them wrong. I went 4 years guiding the yak before I saw my first other boat in 1987, but I did occationally see a bank fisherman.
    I worked at a fly shop in the seattle area for many years and guided a lot, lectured, wrote, but I was best known for my teaching of flycasting and selective trout presentation.
    The last 13 years I have operated a year around lodge in Stehekin. I am retiring this fall I hope...back to E'burg !!! I will be getting back into teaching. I do miss seing all my friends out there.

9. Davy

Davy Active Member

Good to see you on here Tim and again on the river. Miss those late 80's days over there. Everyone here will benefit from your presence.

10. sugaheavyd

sugaheavyd New Member

Hey, all! Name is Derek and I'm a novice fly fisherman at best so i'll pretty much just be lurking to learn. Western Washington fisherman hoping to move from trout fishing to steelhead in the next couple of years. Want to say this board kicks butt - nice to see a community dedicated at helping one another!

11. Trophy trout.

Trophy trout. 12 pounds,12 steps,12 traditions,The Way Of Life !

Home Page:
    Hi there fellas ! My name is Biggi, I´m an Icelander and very , very sick fly-tyer and fly-angler. Hope to have a nice time on your site and get to know U all.

12. John

John New Member

Hey Guys
    Im not really "new" to the boards i just never post, enjoy reading comments and wishing i had more time to fish. And im also trying to figure why my name isnt up on the members list, hopefully this works!

John

13. jonrue

jonrue a life in the day of...

I'm originally from Alaska, but I've been going to school in Eastern washington for two years. The resident youngun' of this site, Zen piscator, has been kind enough to introduce me to Eastern Washington A-runners whille consistently outfishing me.
    I started fishing in Ak when I was about twelve and got serious about it at seventeen. The rest is history.

14. thewaker

thewaker Tight line takes ain't no fakes!!

Hello, been lurking awhile and decided to get busy and get in on the action. I live in Bend Oregon and love to steelhead fish with a fly rod. The lower Deschutes and N. Umpqua are where I can usually be found in the summer months. I think this discussion board is a hoot and can also be quite informative.Once again a big Hello out to all the others out there with the same fishing disease as I have been aflicted with.

Fish on!!
    Mark(aka thewaker):beer2:

15. Allison

Allison Banned or Parked

Hi, I'm Allison. I've been spincasting (selective gear) for a couple of years, and just made the big leap to FF. I like to fish high lakes, and am a member of the Hi-Lakers, and regularly attend Trail Blazer meetings. I've been hiking since I was a little kid, and have been drawn to fishing, initially as an excuse to hang out at high lakes, but it seems to be taking on a life of its own. I'm a little overwhelmed by the amount there is to learn with FF. With spincasting, I always just pitched the lure into the water and hauled them in if I got one on the line. I never thought of fish as something to be "stalked" :D but am starting to see the light of day on that. I just caught my first fish on fly gear a few days ago, and am intrigued with all it takes to bring a fish in on fly gear.

I'm getting some instruction in casting and tying, and hope to be a "real" fly fisher in good time.

I'm always looking for partners in crime, especially of the female persuasion, if for no other reason that there don't seem to be a lot of other girls who like to fish and/or bash the brush. I also think my casting might benefit from seeing the way other girls do it. That said, I usually end up fishing with guys and there is nothing wrong with that either.:cool:

In any case, this looks like a great forum and I look forward to becoming part of the community.