West Seattle Fly Shop

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by P.Dieter, Jun 23, 2014.

1. P.Dieter

P.Dieter Just Another Bubba

Home Page:
    Kyle Smith likes this.
  2. Porter

Porter Active Member

Some former avid angler guys...they all good! MHO

3. Greg Price

Greg Price Love da little fishies

Nice addition to W Seattle.
    Dave is a quality guy. He reignited my love of small stream fishing thru his seminars at various fly fish shows.
    See my avatar for a small cuttie caught from a small stream.

4. Jake Dixon

Jake Dixon Member

Excited to see this shop open up. Dave seems like a great guy.

5. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Ryan Davis is one good guy! I've had dealings with him in the past, and he is one real person. He once held a free casting clinic at the U-District's Cowan Park. He only asked donations for a charity. A real class act gentleman. I highly recommend that people support him.

6. golfman44

golfman44 4-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year

That's right by the Southworth /vashon ferry right?

7. William Wallace

William Wallace Active Member

Golfman44,

It is a great spot for the shop, right near busy part so lots of traffic to see them. Also great food and couple beer places stone throw away.

5-10 minutes from Lincoln park.

Great to have something in that area

golfman44 likes this.
  8. golfman44

golfman44 4-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year

Sweet. Need a spot to kill time waiting on that ferry

9. William Wallace

William Wallace Active Member

Over West Seattle Bridge, go thru 35th, stay on Fauntleroy, take second right ( which will be Oregon Street) follow to California Ave. After buying whole bunch of stuff, Take California to Fauntleroy, take right to ferry!

You have it easy, Wish I could get there but leave this Friday for Indiana. When I come back for a trip I will have to stop by and check it out.

golfman44 likes this.
  10. Matt Baerwalde

Matt Baerwalde ...

So….Emerald Waters Anglers has been open a couple few weeks now. I made it in earlier this week after work. I did two circuits of the space before I realized that, as of now, it's not really a fly shop. I say that because fly shops usually sell flies. Now, I don't buy many flies anymore, but I do buy tying materials, so I was looking for those. I wanted to pick up some moose hair. They don't have any tying materials. I did see some leaders and tippet. Other than that, it's pretty much a lot of really nice Patagonia clothes. The two staff were super nice and I enjoyed shooting the bull with them, but as of now, I doubt I will stop in very often, since shooting the bull is really the ONLY reason I would go in. I don't buy clothes or rods very often and don't book guided trips in Washington.

Emerald Waters Anglers: if you're out there, please hear me--I will spend my money in your store! But you don't have anything I want to buy! I wish you success and really really hope you expand your retail selections; you certainly have room for it!

Cheers,
    Matt

edit 8/13/14: Apparently they sell flies and I'm an idiot. I do hope they get materials soon.

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  11. Calvin1

Calvin1 Member

My experience was the same as Matt's. Had been meaning to pop in,and I needed some chenille. Great rod selection, but I don't have a need for any more rods. I do need chenille, hooks, hair etc.

12. Johnathon Quarrell

Johnathon Quarrell Active Member

Matt,

In no way do i mean any disrespect but I have to point out that you must have missed the rather LARGE case in the middle of the shop floor. The case that from what I see has more flies in it than any shop in the Seattle area and possibly elsewhere however, I see the point about the tying materials and I cant argue that fact one bit with you.

To everyone else, if you are looking to get on the water with the most knowledgeable and friendly guides I have met in my life you will not be disappointed with EWA. I am in no way affiliated with these guys but in the few experiences I have had with them I can tell you that Seattle is lucky to have a place like this open up as well as Dave Mccoy is one of the nicest guys I have ever met period. If you haven't checked this place out yet make the trip, you wont be disappointed.

-John

13. Matt Baerwalde

Matt Baerwalde ...

Hey no disrespect taken. Thanks for the correction. I leaned on the case chatting and didn't realize it had flies in it I guess. Guess that explains the flies on the outside. Duh. I still hope they get tying materials. They have room. I had a good conversation and it was a nice shop.

14. underachiever

underachiever !

This kind of friendly exchange shall not be tolerated!!

15. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

It ain't easy to open a fly shop unless you're sitting on a few hundred K,... in dollars. Take it from me because I know. If EWA gets a chance they'll be able to offer more products...everything costs money and if they don't sell what they stock they'll have a hard time offering new products...!

Support them if you think you like having a flyshop in that vicinity. If you don't it won't be there long.