Which DSLR do you shoot, Canon or Nikon?

Discussion in 'Photography / Video' started by Jergens, Jan 23, 2012.

?
  1. Canon

47.6%
  2. Nikon

47.6%
  3. Other

4.8%
  1. boboo_3

boboo_3 Cool Member

Own the D7000. Love it and the price point. Was a longtime Canon guy until I switched to Nikon in the film days. Never looked back after my Nikon F3HP. Played with the D4 at CES in Vegas... Very nice. D800 is coming and supposed to be awesome. Looking forward to that.

2. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Home Page:
    That's very interesting move indeed. Since I also use the legendary F3HP quite a few years... I will just chipped in and talk about some history.

I was a longterm Nikon camera user, have owned F3 and F4 in the film days; if you use film, you probably know those two models are the true legendary cameras in the Nikon history (if not in the SLR history). but not any more when Canon announce their first Ultrasonic motored lens and camera body in the late 1980' EOS 1. This huge break though technology really end Nikon's wildlife and sport camera's business. read additional history link http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/technical/usmlens_technology.do . The reason being the USM motor are way too fast and much accurate than all other mechanic driven lens. Many wildlife shooters and sport photographers move to Canon EOS 1 system with no hesitation, the evidence was clearly showing on the sport field in the late 90', all white lens! I move to Canon EOS 1v soon after it's released around 2000 with no even consider the F5. Although Nikon has been dominate in the wild angle lens and has been very good at keep the old user happy by retain the compatibility of all the F mounted lens (huge family), the burden of those old lens design really hurt the company. Now Nikon has adapted in the digital SLR field. But let's not forget, Canon was the first company invented the USM, also was the first to develop the CMOS sensor WHILE Nikon and Sony were all laughing at it and said the noise problem in the CMOS system by then won't make the system survive... guess what now??, every company is using CMOS system and probably no one remember the CCD! Noted, I am not here to say which company is better or worse, I still using both system, just thought it would be good to provide some history background... Mark

3. jameson

jameson New Member

Sony.
    being able to use Minolta glass with the Sony bodies is extra nice.

Jase likes this.
  4. jameson

jameson New Member

i still shoot about 20 or so rolls/yr. with my F3.
    i love that camera.

5. JHes

JHes New Member

Nikon D90....my experience is here and not with a cannon. The D90 made an inexperienced photographer capable. Now with experience, and knowledge of the camera, I can take great shots every time. To me you can't go wrong, but as an individual, get a few cameras in your hand and see what's best for YOU. Just like a fly rod.

6. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

Apple iPhone 4S can do amazing things. Seriously.

7. Siskiyoublues

Siskiyoublues Member

:(

If by producing low res images and then covering them with an awful "polaroid/ish aka so hip it hurts" filter is amazing then hell yeah. I hear it does fake tilt focus now too. Just gets better and better.

Disclaimer Edit: I mean no disrespect. Just being a curmudgeon.

8. tailchaser001

tailchaser001 Member

Nikon here....

9. Marc Stelting

Marc Stelting Member

Currently have a Nikon d200 with several nikon lenses. I usually shoot RAW, then post-process with a couple systems. I knew a couple other co-workers who had Nikons, and was able to borrow one to try before my purchase, along with the ability to borrow lenses from each other, it has worked out well. I have the itch for a d700 but its just not in the finances as of now.

10. boboo_3

boboo_3 Cool Member

I've shot RAW also... almost got caught so now I keep my clothes on. :hmmm:

11. gunsnob

gunsnob New Member

Well, this is a cool thread to start my first post! I love photography, then fly fishing... (please don't hurt me).

Nikon D700 lots of Nikon glass... Still shoot the F100, F3HP when I feel nostalgic and the Sony NEC5n for the pocket when fishing....

12. Bruce Baker

Bruce Baker Active Member

I started out with a Canon AE-1 and then graduated to an EOS Elan. Since I already had a pretty decent lense with the Elan, I stayed with Canon when I went digital and bought an EOS Rebel TSi.

13. gldntrt40

gldntrt40 Gone Fishing

14. gldntrt40

gldntrt40 Gone Fishing

Olympus 4/3 and adapters for lenses such as Nikon 600/4 AIS
    Olympus 4/3 bodies like E510/E3 have 2x crop, built in body image stabilizers so it turns any lens into IS-not as sophisticated as Canon IS but still fine.
    Have shot Olympus OM cameras since 1976 but like Canon EOS, Nikon too
    they are all great tools
    [​IMG]
    Dec 2011 snowy owl/coast

Big_E likes this.
  15. psycho

psycho Active Member

Sony A900, because I had too many Minolta lenses to throw away. 600 f4 on down.