Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Which sage domain...

Spey 
2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  A.A. 
#1 · (Edited)
...for sage one 7126? The Domain 8 is 7.2 oz and 3.9" in diameter. The 10 is 8.5 oz 4.3".
Thanks!

#2 ·
Don't know what reel a Domain is, but you need to look at the reel capacity as well as the weight. The 10 might work, the other two definitely won't. Those numeric designations are for single hand lines. Spey lines require much more capacity. I'd call a shop that knows spey and ask for their recommendation.

#4 ·
I am sorry you talked to some one at Red's that could not answer your question.
The Sage Domain is a full frame reel but is a bit light in weight IMO to balance two handed rods properly. Roger and I, who work at Red's, usually step up to the Domain 10 for even the switch rods that are over 11' long. In our packages the Echo ION 7/9 weighs 7.9 ounces and that works fine on the Echo and Deer Creek rods to get the balance into your top hand. Being on the aged end of the spectrum neither of us is interested in having to continuously lifting the tip. The Waterworks-Lamson ARX 3.5 is 8.8 and the 4 is 10.5 and produce a better balance. On the 7126-4 Sage One the Domain 10 is the lightest you would use.

Craig
@redsflyshop.com

#5 ·
yeah, for a 7126 I want at least a 9oz reel. 100yd of 30# backing weighs one ounce, so I call 10oz a good minimum for balance.

If you're a bit heavy in the reel, it's easy to hold the rod at midcorks during the swing, but if you're too light, you're holding the blank above the upper grip or adding to fatigue by holding the tip up. My 15'ers used to give me a R biceps cramp till I put heavier reels on them.

#7 ·
Had the Domain 10 on the same rod this past December, as there were holiday deals I couldn't pass up.

I had returned it immediately as it was too light for my likings. Typically I hold my rod near the top end of the cork and the reel still didn't sit well/balance the 7126. I think the reel would be a perfect match up for switch rods.

If your still considering "Sage" reels, I would recommend looking at the 6000 series reels or even the Evokes. Better yet, call around and find out if a local fly shop has them in stock. Either way take your rod in and see if the reel balance it to your liking (my local shop is understanding with it). If they don't have the reel, find one that closely weighs the same and you'll get a general idea on the balance.

Good luck on your search!

#8 ·
I'm in Oregon. I bought a Ross CLA 6 originally with the rod at my local fly shop. I had problems with the running line catching between the spool and the frame. The line was pretty shredded after a total of about 10 days fishing with it. My local fly shop was great and offered to give me a new running line. They told me I'd be happy with the Domain because it was full frame and would eliminate my line catching issues. They let me exchange the full value of the reel toward the Domain which I thought was nice of them. (They have been very good to work with and I make the extra effort/one hour drive when I can to give them my business) They didn't have one in the store though. Looking online, they said the Domain 8 was the one to get. But, I called them today and asked to change it to the 10 based on your recommendations. It will give me the similar line capacity as the CLA 6. I felt the CLA 6 was a little on the heavy side to balance this rod (at 9.1 oz). So I'm hoping at 8.5 oz, the Domain 10 works well and hope I don't regret going a little lighter. Thanks for the info, I also thought the 8 would have been way too light! And thanks also for letting me hang out on the WFF forum being a southerner and all! My wife is from WA, does that count?

#10 ·
I go to Caddis Fly in Eugene. They do a great job. I mail order from them too when I can't make the drive. I just met the owner of a new shop who is a great guy too. He's by REI, forget the name of the shop though.
Just put the reel on tonight. 0.6 oz lighter than the CLA 6, feels about right but that's subjective. Won't get a chance to fish it for a couple weeks though. Well made, looks nice, like the full frame, super smooth drag. With so many ports/tooling, looks more fragile than the CLA, but I don't expect to beat it up too much. I think as long as the weight works, you can't go wrong with it.

#13 ·
So I took it out on Monday for a couple hours. Maybe a little on the light side, but still feels good. Noticed I was holding it at the top of the cork. I don't think I would put it on a longer or lighter rod. But my running line-catching problem is a thing of the past, and the reel is super smooth.

#14 ·
I'm a little late to the conversation here but thought I'd chime in. I've fished a steelhead season this winter with a Domain 10 on my VXP 7133 and, while a bit light, it is certainly workable even on the notoriously tip heavy VXP. Yes it would be nicer if the Domain was heavier, but it's really a reel for multiple use - I can put it on a 9 weight bonefish outfit and go crazy; you're not doing that with a Speyco or a Hardy Salmon 2.

The thing I don't like about the Domain is the drag sound. It's bordering on silent and/or even gets a screechy rubbery noise when cold and wet.

If you want a pure spey reel with a lovely noise, get a Hardy or Speyco or
Loop Classic (which I may do myself). If you want a reel that won't fall apart when you take it to the salt and is light enough to use over handed, this is your reel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.