who can afford...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Nol, May 8, 2014.

1. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

you guys think fly fishing is expensive you should try conventional gear bass fishing

Boat $50,000
    additional electronics $3500
    15 decent rods each with it's own niche purpose $2000
    15 decent reels to match $2500
    clothing for going fast in bad weather $1000
    lures and terminal gear a modest collection $1000
    Line $150
    oil 50 bucks a gallon
    fuel 4.00 per gallon X 50
    tow vehicle $40,000
    gas for tow vehicle $ 4.00 per gallon x25 gallons

fly fishing is cheap even on the high end.. what a fly fisher spends for a pair of waders that last 3-4 seasons a bass fisherman burns in gas to fish a single 2 day tournament.

stilly stalker likes this.
  2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Yeah. This is the reason I don't take up GOLF.

3. RogueBum

RogueBum Spey casting for Steelies year round

Home Page:
    No thanks. ;)

timlind and rory like this.
  4. Akuriko

Akuriko Member

My theory is buy affordable even if it means new and made in china because more so then not, either it be redington, echo, orvis minus encounter fly rod, cabelas, scott, allen, r l winston, for example they all most have a life time worrenty so i base it on that as well.

who needs the very best. :D

5. golfman44

golfman44 4-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year

If you're good at golf you win money each time you play. It pays for itself.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  6. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

I do. why? because cheaper gear does not perform to the level I require. heck a lot of high end s tuff doesn't either but the high end gear that I use does.

Randall Clark and Dave Evans like this.
  7. Dustin Bootz

Dustin Bootz Team Nate

[​IMG]

Andrew Shoemaker likes this.
  8. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

The bottom line is the performance of the rod in the hands of the buyer. If the name or a price point gets in the way, that falls directly on the fisherman.

If it takes a $100 rod to get the job done, then u are a very lucky man. I want to fish with you.
    If it takes a $300 rod to get the job done, then u are somewhat lucky.
    If it takes a $600 rod to get the job done, i hope you had casting lessons prior to the purchase.
    If it takes a $1000 rod to get the job done, I am clueless as to how bad a fisherman you must be and wish you nothing but the best of luck.

The beauty of the system is that most can give/get top shelf performances, but at different cost. Some are just luckier than others.

I fall in the somewhat lucky to lucky range.

Old Man likes this.
  9. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Hell, I ain't good at anything except on growing old.

10. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

hmmmm I wonder how much a set of tiger woods's golf clubs cost???

I would argue that a 100 dollar rod does NOT get the job done and a thousand dollar rod does. yes there is that much difference in performance. that is if you get the right 1000 dollar rod.

some high end rods are worth the money because of the level of performance you get others are not and you cannot tell the difference is you don't have the skill level to access the rods performance.

back to Tiger Woods clubs..

I have not been on a golf course since Jr High nearly 30 years ago.. If i picked up a set of clubs at a garage sale for 10 bucks I'd probably shoot around an 80 on a nine hole course. if I had Tiger Woods clubs I'd probably do about the same.. If Tiger woods took my clubs from the Garage sale he'd probably shoot a 30 or whatever ( i don't know what a good score would be) With his own clubs he'd probably shoot a 28 or 29.. Now.. for me i'd be so happy with a 30 that lowering it to a 29 or 28 wouldn't even be worth thinking about However for Tiger Woods He wouldn't be happy with a 30 he'd be desperate to get his clubs back so that he could get a 28.

performance matters.. the more skilled the angler the more the tiny differences between a good rod and a great rod become hugely important.

My last low end trout rod was a st croix imperial. I did well with it but i do MUCH MUCH better with my high end rods because I can access performance that the St croix did not have.

golfman44 likes this.
  11. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

I buy made in America- because I want to support companies that keep jobs stateside. SAGE rods!!!! I really dont care if they are a bit more $. I get a lot of satisfaction from knowing they are made in the USA
    Nautilus reels are still made in the USA too.
    I often laugh when the same people that bitch about the loss of American manufacturing jobs buy cheap chinese shit " because it has a warranty"
    Ill take a crap in a box, and put a warranty on it! If you dont like it, Ill send you another box of crap

scottybs and Rob Allen like this.
  12. weiliwen

weiliwen Active Member

The problem with that analysis is, Stilly, that it's incorrect. Foreign-made goods can be of high quality. The fact is, we're all part of the world now.

My old boss bought himself a Buick recently because it was "made in the USA." In fact, it was built in Canada. Then he says, well, it's an American company. I pointed out that it's a public company and that a stockholder might be a California pension fund or a Saudi prince. Additionally, many, many parts are sourced overseas, as are parts of your "made in the USA rod," unless you can let me know where the US cork oak farm is. "Made in USA" is a marketing tool to make people feel patriotic, or something like that, but has little bearing in reality. A good quality product is a good quality product, no matter where it's made. Do not kid yourself that you're stemming the exodus of manufacturing jobs by buying a rod from a company that employs 25 people. Very true, many price-point items are sourced overseas, but that is the subject of this thread, isn't it? An inexpensive rod will more than likely be built where costs are lower. An high-quality rod will be made where the craftsmen are, regardless of price.

So, to compare foreign-made goods to a box of crap is ludicrous and insulting.

Gary Knowels and Tim Cottage like this.
  13. stilly stalker

I'm not saying they're all crap- I'm saying buying a cheaper piece of gear because it has a warranty is not always the smartest decision

14. stilly stalker

And yes- although many parts are sourced globally- I will still try hard to support companies doing any manufacturing in the USA

15. golfman44

golfman44 4-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year

While I agree with your premise, it's no secret that golf takes much more finesse and skill than fly fishing, so gear does matter more on that front.