who can afford...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Nol, May 8, 2014.

1. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I fish for the little guys. One hell of a lot of fun on a 3wt rod. Light tippets makes fly fishing fun.

Stew McLeod and Greg Armstrong like this.
  2. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

I'm with you, Jim.
    Just match the gear size to the size of the fish, and it's all fun!

Gary Knowels likes this.
  3. Brian White

Brian White Recovering Bugmeister

Further from MT than I'd like (B-vue, WA)
    Pay extra for the Patagonia river crampons. Worth it and you can take em off when you are in a boat......

Ever since i slipped on rock snot and broke my 9 6' wt Redington CPS (i still cry on the inside just thinking about it - WHY did Redington do away with that series and WHY can't they bring it back!?!) i have searched for better traction. i now consider that issue resolved with the magic-metal-patagonia boot-bars. Yeah - they're kinda pricey - but i think they are going to last me a looooong time and Patagonia is good about repairs.

4. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

A couple of things that I have learned from fishing and life, over the years.

You can't do much about the weather.

You can pick your friends.

You can buy more expensive and higher quality gear, but the fish will not notice.

Not many people, if any, are going to be impressed with my fishing technique, casting skills, or my fishing attire. So relax and enjoy the experience for what it is, fishing. Impressive surroundings are a plus.

There can be just as much fun fishing in a local pond as fishing in some far off exotic fishing hole. The trigger is in the mind set. The right companion is a big asset.

A cold beer or hot cuppa coffee, around a blazing campfire, at the end of the day can off set a lot of problems. Again, the right companions are a big asset.

Alex MacDonald likes this.
  5. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Home Page:

Many's a late August Day when I leave the Cedar river with far more flies than I came...Parachute Adams DO grow on trees!

6. lylelovett666

lylelovett666 Active Member

That kind of money is simply not needed to get quality fly fishing gear. My favorite fly rod is a 3wt Ross that cost me less than $200. My waders were less than $150 & have pretty much lasted me seven years.thank god for aqua seal. Got orvis & loomis reals that both ran around $100 and function perfectly. Looking for deals,being patient & loyalty to local shops all payoff. Cheap or affordable doesn't mean poor quality all the time,but research is the key.

7. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Home Page:
    I buy what gear I want and what suits my budget. I don't really care what others are buying, odds are, it wont suit my needs anyway. I was talked into a shiny new ________ once, and ended up selling it a couple months later. Now I research what will work for me and I save up and buy it.

8. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Active Member

It's this thing I use when you might use a check or cash - for things like gas, groceries, paying bills, buying fishing stuff, etc. - except at the end of the year, while your checks or cash simply get you goods and services, my credit card gets me those same goods and services, plus free airline tickets.

Credit cards, and credit in general, are a great tool, if you use them properly. Kind of like guns. The people that use either, on the other hand, can be a problem.

IveofIone and scottybs like this.
  9. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

You have it right Mountain Man. Here in the near wilderness where most stores are 2 hours away we buy almost everything on credit cards. I have bought stuff as large as a boat trailer, log splitter and refrigerator with free shipping and as small as an MP-3 player or batteries for a UV flashlight. Every year we seem to spend thousands shopping on line as some of our food items and meds are also bought that way. And again this year when our credit card company sent our year end statement the line that read: Total amount of interest paid was $0.00.

Intelligent use of credit is priceless, something you want to manage and nurture over your lifetime. My new pickup will be arriving soon and I will finance about a third of the cost. My credit union informed me that my credit rating was in the top 1% of individuals in the country and no credit app would be necessary. Not bad for a guy that had his Porsche repo,ed for non payment 50 years ago! I learned a lot from that brain fart.

Ive

10. nb_ken

nb_ken Active Member

What other hobby in the USofA costs less than fly fishing? Gardening, maybe? Day hiking?

Stuff that costs more than a top-end fly rod:
    Serious Bicycle
    Serious Camera
    Serious Golf Clubs
    Serious BBQ
    Serious Guitar
    Plane Tickets Abroad
    Season Tickets To Anything
    Ham Radio
    Snowmobile
    Scuba Gear
    Bass Boat
    Jeep

Nobody needs an $800 fly rod, but even if you think you do, it's not a $4000 DSLR that will be obsolete in 5 years. And you can use it without greens fees or lift tickets.

Poetry. Writing poetry is definitely cheaper than fly fishing.

11. kurtataltos

kurtataltos Active Member

Ohhhhh now, Ken, you went and violated something. Not sure what. Regardless, that $4000 DSLR.... that was soooooo wonderful and the most profound leap of technical achievement 5 years ago... one that no one could fathom.... but would reinvent the concept of a DSLR...yea, I just got that exact same one about three weeks ago, refurbished by Canon at 1/10th the original price. Reminds me of my $170 RPL5100 or $175 RPL6100. Not new, cheap, 100% functional, cheap, not trendy, not something people say "oooohhhh ahhhhh" about, cheap, does everything I need it to do and, did I note....cheap ? Ohhhhhhhh welllllll..... last years obsolete technology is soooo sweeeeet !!! But, ma gawd, you have a bunch of hobbies !! Congratulations, you lucky dawg !

12. gardening is expensive as shit

Brookie_Hunter likes this.
  13. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Not for me. If it's green, I mow it.

wadin' boot likes this.
  14. o mykiss

o mykiss Active Member

This subject comes up almost as often as the nymphing vs. swinging debate, and is almost equally tiresome. Every time it comes up there are a hundred guys who jump on congratulating themselves on how "frugal" they are and expressing outrage and disdain towards anyone who actually is stupid or vain enough to buy high end fly gear.

But to answer the OP's question - apparently there are enough people who can afford the high end fly gear to keep a lot of large and small companies that make it in business. If there wasn't a market for high end fly fishing equipment, manufacturers like Simms, Patagonia, Sage, Winston, Scott, Burkheimer, R.B. Meiser, Riverwatch Rods, J.M. Reid Bamboo, Sweet Grass Rods, Olson Custom Fly Reels, Fisknat, etc. wouldn't exist. Some of the folks that buy high end stuff are well to do and others are not but for whatever reason are willing to make sacrifices in other areas to buy nice fly fishing equipment. Kind of like other recreational equipment, cars, trucks, motorcycles, beer, whisky(ey), coffee, cigars, etc. - the list goes on. I don't know, what could possibly motivate a working stiff to buy a beautiful C.F. Burkheimer spey rod hand-crafted by Americans in the PNW instead of a TFO spey rod mass-produced by drones in China when they both will deliver a fly 80 feet? The guy must be a poser or an idiot, right? Fortunately, one of the benefits of living in a free country without a command and control economy is that for the most part consumers get to decide what they want.

15. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

Fortunately, one of the benefits of living in a free country without a command and control economy is that for the most part consumers get to decide what they want.

There are some folk that are trying to change this, one example is the obama care program.

PT, chewydog and Ron McNeal like this.