Why is everyone selling Sage One's

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by William Wallace, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Porter

Porter Active Member

ummm.... well.. there seems to be a camp out there of notable dudes who think the Scott Radian is second to none! Cant comment but maybe some day :D

2. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Very good point about matching rods to lines, or vise versa. Over a decade ago a friend told me about his favorite trout rod, a GLoomis 3 wt. It cast perfectly with a WF5F on it.

I've come to believe that poor casting technique and stiff-as-a-fireplace-poker graphite fly rods are responsible for the majority of tendinitis and bursitis cases in the fly fishing fraternity. I don't understand why fishermen are so wowed by rods that can cast a country mile. I've never caught a trout a country mile away, so WTF?

Sg

3. PT

PT Physhicist

Casting a country mile sounds cool on the internet.

generic, Mike Ediger and scottybs like this.
  4. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

What about just using grain window charts (like the one Rio provides) and forgetting all the "weight" stuff?

Alexander and generic like this.
  5. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

The only two rods I bought without thoroughly testing was a Sage TCR, and the Loomis GLX. I bought both because they were; 1. new, 2. I thought i wanted super fast stick for punching streamers off of the beaches and fishing sink tips,3. and I wanted another rod, 4.I got sucked into the marketing.

The TCR is the least used rod that I have, even though I love the look of it. It is far harder on my wrist than any other rod I have cast, with the one exception being the GLX. I bought the GLX, fished it for about 2 months, sold it and bought a GL3 which I knew was a better fit for me from fishing it for months already.

I almost exclusively buy only used rods now. I never buy ultra fast rods anymore. I generate far more power from the well timed snap of a slower rod.

6. scottybs

scottybs Active Member

Home Page:

No way would I sell my Z-axis

7. scottybs

scottybs Active Member

Home Page:

Not when you have to pay $$$ when you break them, I buy ALL of my rods on clearance. And yes I know that most of the breaks are my fault, but it's nice having that insurance policy.

8. scottybs

scottybs Active Member

Home Page:

Yeah and trying to mend a "country mile" long cast on moving water, let alone getting a good hook see, good flipping luck!

9. Whitey

Whitey Active Member

This guy gets it.

little rod likes this.
  10. royalcoach

royalcoach Active Member

Me neither ...
    In fact I hope to add a couple more to my quiver to keep my 3wt and 5wt company ! :D

scottybs likes this.
  11. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

I confess I am a mixed bag of nuts when it comes to fast and slow rods. For my trout rods (for example) I have two, and the one that bends to the cork gets used way more than the one that is "whippy stiff." For double haul casts, the stiff stick just plain sucks. Maybe a wolf ambush line would get it rocking, but I trout fish so little, it'll be a while before I try another line.

For the long rods, I have to say I am in love with the faster sticks. However, it really is only the butt section that is stiff ("tip flex") and so maybe it's really a slower rod with a stiff extension...

The first switch I bought is definitely full flex, and is replacing a much faster single handed rod that was being used in a switch capacity. I like the fuller flex of the switch.

Like I said, mixed bag of nuts.

12. scottybs

scottybs Active Member

Home Page:

I got my 6wt for a steal, used rods go for more than I paid! ;-)

13. Mike Ediger

Mike Ediger Active Member

My Sage One was the best casting rod I have ever owned, and I could cast further with it then any rod I've ever owned. Dry line, sinking line, intermediate, didn't matter, the One would launch it. Only problem was I didn't enjoy fishing with it at all. So I no longer own the One.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

royalcoach and scottybs like this.
  14. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

You know, that perfectly describes the casting action of this 10' 8wt rod built on a Sage blank that I bought used several years ago. If you cast as you described, a sick amount of line will go spitting out the guides with minimal effort. It took me a while to figure that stroke out, having cast only TFOs before. Unfortunately, I haven't found myself in a lot of situations where that rod would be my first choice, outside of the salt (I haven't gone down the steelhead route yet...). It sure is fun when I have the excuse to use it, though. Is that how Sage rods in general cast?

Just the same, I would love to get a 8' or 8.5' 5wt that casts like that. Anyone have a Sage in that size they want to unload, come April or May when I'll be home again?

--Dave

15. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Could you explain a little more about why you didn't enjoy fishing with your Sage One? The casting was good, but not the fishing with it? What gives? Was it a "feel" or "sensitivity" thing or that fish seemed to either failed to get a good hook-set or just kept coming unpinned--as if the rod was jinxed? I think there are people out there who know what I mean.

--Dave